Casualties of War - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Casualties of War Reviews

½ August 28, 2016
Its a heavy handed topic but a decent film about America's shame during the Vietnam war. There is a pretty awkward speech near the end that gets really preachy, but the performances are top notch and the film is brutal in all the ways that it needs to be. DePalma leads a solid director's touch for a powerful if kind of dated film.
½ August 15, 2016
I expected more out of a movie starring Michael J. Fox, Sean Penn and John C. Reilly. The movie is dull and lifeless for a large chunk of it's running time. I found Micheal J. Fox's character to be just as disgusting as the rest of his squad. After all, he let them kidnap the girl, rape her and then kill her. Then he went up the chain in command to report them only when someone tried to kill him while he was using the latrine. I find that fitting because that's where this movie belongs. I don't appreciate the way they tried to paint Eriksson in a good light, it's an insult to our intelligence, we know better.
August 14, 2016
Not terrible, just not particularly necessary to watch.
½ May 21, 2016
this was a great movie. one of the beat war movies ever.
½ February 23, 2016
A welcome addition to the 'Nam films of the 70s and 80s.
February 1, 2016
This is a messed up situation which our brave men went through back in that time!
October 20, 2015
"Powerful Crime War Drama "
½ September 2, 2015
Very brutal, but powerful Vietnam film by Brian DePalma. Brian DePalma definitely proves that he is one of the most influential directors of all time as the Untouchables director really hits us in the face with this Vietnam war epic about a platoon of American soldiers that take a Vietnamese girl hostage as they prowl through the intense jungles of Vietnam, but all except one do the unthinkable when they all lose their morals as men and soldiers in the United States Army, when one by one, four of the 5 men take turns raping the Vietnamese woman that they took prisoner. It's very striking and brutally hard to watch as DePalma cuts no corners and really puts us as the audience in that position as if he is asking us as the viewers, what would you do? Michael J. Fox who in my opinion gives the best performance of his career as the lone soldier of the group who refuses to have any part in the raping of the Vietnamese woman they took prisoner and feels he has no choice, but to report what happened in the field to his superior officers because he cannot let such a despicable act go without consequences and that is exactly what Michael J. Fox goes out to accomplish. The Back to the Future star really shows there is more than meets the eye with his performance as he truly goes toe to toe with a very young and powerful Sean Penn, who plays the platoon sergeant who just so happens to be the youngest man in the group and has seriously let his rank and the war mess with his status of power among the men. Sean Penn really proves why he is truly one of the greatest actors of all time as he truly even before coming out strong with movies like Clint Eastwood's Mystic River and Gus Can Zant's Milk, Sean Penn definitely proves that he's always had the talent to really show how powerful and effective he can be on screen as he is one of those few actors that inhabits every role he takes on. Both men are front and center of this Vietnam epic and that is why the movie works so well, because it's reminding us of why we love Michael J. Fox and Sean Penn as the two of them without a doubt have definitely carved in their names in the movie business.
August 22, 2015
Casualties of war is among the best war films I have ever seen. Not only is it based on true events but it mirrors what is like to be in those events flawlessly. Casualties of War like many Vietnam films shows a great anti-war side to Vietnam and isn't afraid to show the many atrocities the Americans committed during the war as well. The films harsh content and idea are very powerful and will keep you in awe. It shows just how crazy war can make people. The acting is great and the cast is comprised of a young Michael J. Fox, Sean Penn, Ving Rhames, John C. Reilly, and John Leguizamo. Fox does a brilliant job in his first really dramatic role. Casualties of War now ranks alongside my favorite Vietnam war films like Full Metal Jacket, Platoon, and Apocalypse Now.
½ August 21, 2015
Sensitive subject matter is handled with care in "Casualties Of War," Brian DePalma's fittingly frustrating and intense account of moral decline and dehumanization in the battlefield.
½ July 29, 2015
In November 1966, a squad of American soldiers is on patrol when they are suddenly attacked by the Viet Cong. The ground cracks under Private Max Eriksson (Michael J. Fox) while he walks above a Viet Cong tunnel. Sergeant Tony Meserve (Sean Penn) pulls Eriksson out of the hole and eventually, the Americans stave off the attack. Later on the unit is re-deployed to a nearby village, which is believed to be an ally to the Viet Cong. Frustrated because his squad has been denied leave for an extended period, Meserve orders the squad to kidnap a Vietnamese girl, Than Thi Oanh (Thuy Thu Le), to be their sex slave. Eriksson strenuously objects, but Meserve silences him and ostracizes him from the rest of the squad, threatening to kill Eriksson if he dares an attempt to stop the rape. The girl is forcibly taken to the squad's next command outpost and is repeatedly beaten and raped by all the men but Eriksson. The squad is later ordered to take up a position near a railroad bridge overlooking a Viet Cong river supply depot. Meserve has Private Antonio Diaz (John Leguizamo) order air support for an assault on the depot, then orders Oanh to be killed. Before the squad can kill her, Eriksson fires his rifle into the air, exposing them to the nearby Viet Cong. In the midst of the firefight, Oanh tries to escape. Eriksson tries to save her but is stopped by Meserve, who knocks Eriksson down with the butt of his gun. Eriksson watches helplessly as the entire squad shoots Oanh numerous times until she falls off the bridge, dead. After the battle, Eriksson wakes up in a hospital. Meserve and the squad cover up the murder but Eriksson refuses to let the secret die. He jeopardizes both his life and military career (thanks in large part to indifferent superiors, who prefer to bury the matter) to expose the crime...

"Casualties of War" was based on the real-life incident on Hill 192. An article written by Daniel Lang for The New Yorker in 1969, and a subsequent book were the movie's primary sources, but all names and some details of the story were altered. "Casualties of War" came out the same year we got Oliver Stoneīs "Born on the Fourth of July", ten years after the first attempts to handle the wounds after the Vietnam war on the screen ("The Deer Hunter" and "Apocalypse Now"). Itīnot possible to understand or put yourself in the clothes of a 20 year old young man exposed to the horrors of the Vietnam war and how that effected not only the psyche but also the human side of the self. The stress, the notion of constant and sudden death and the dehumanisation of both yourself and the enemy. At that point Michael J. Fox had just started to do some more dramatic roles and as Max Eriksson he is fine despite the fact that he is maybe a bit one dimensional in his acting in general. Sean Penn and Thuy Thu Le are the ones that "steals" the film. Penn is in truly high form as Meserve with a nicely thick New York accent and without Thuy Thu Leīs truly convincing acting as the kidnap victim this wouldnīt have been as good as it is. "Casualties of War" is a cruel and heartbreaking look upon the Vietnam war and its casualties. All are casualties no matter what. The film is as well a side step for Brian De Palma and his filmmaking, but thereīs plenty of De Palma in this film nevertheless. "Casualties of War" is amongst the better Vietnam movies, trying to come to terms with all the atrocities that happen there, but it stands maybe a bit weaker next to "The Deer Hunter", "Apocalypse Now", "Full Metal Jacket", "Born on the Fourth of July" and "Platoon".
April 16, 2015
A real slow burn that takes forever to play out,just to damn boring.
April 3, 2015
Well acted by a group of young actors who would go places, in an excellent screenplay that exposes a story based on a true incident, and shows the inhumanity and brutalizing influence of war, but doesn't let the perpetrators off the hook for that. In the real incident, all of the soldiers raped the girl, but that would have been too much for a movie audience, who would have to have a hero. It was true that all the guilty got off with lighter sentences than those to which they had been condemned. What the note at the end doesn't say was that the real soldier who was "Clark" in this film, who stabbed the girl, was later implicated and found guilty in the murder of a black soldier on a ship.
April 2, 2015
Ill laid out..pretty superficial zero substance...
½ March 30, 2015
Casualties of War is one of the best Vietnam movies ever made and definitely a Brian DePalma classic. Michael J. Fox shows great strength as an actor in this and this movie definitely made me look at him in a totally different way after seeing him in this. But the real credit goes to Sean Penn, who is without a doubt one of the best actors that has ever lived.
January 2, 2015
Nice 80s war movie with Sean Penn and Michael J Fox. I like vietnam movies and this is one of them. True story and Brian De Palma is a great director.
November 20, 2014
November 4, 2014
Wow, the movie based on true event shows another picture of the Vietnam War - a dark one. It's a combination of drama & thrill with haunting background score. The movie's got many superb actors in there early career, while Sean Penn stands out in his flawed role the same can't be said of Micheal J Fox who is not suited for such intense role. The movie is awesome for its story and music and it took guts for it to be made but sadly the acting and directing bought the intensity done.
October 27, 2014
in my top 5 war movies.
½ August 12, 2014
Horrible subject with penn is top notch psycho mode.