The Steam Experiment (The Chaos Experiment) Reviews

• Aug 25, 2017

One of the most idiotic movies I've seen in recent memory, such a waste of potential!

• Apr 27, 2017

What the heck Val? What a piece. Annoying chronology, bizarre patriotic type classical music for a thriller with lame horror events, this is a mess. The sauna scenes are shown through an annoying blurry hazy urine colored filter. After what seems like 5 mins the characters already start to go nuts and attack each other. Then a nail gun happens, then some personal mutilation. Eric Roberts can't even be bothered to chew scenery in this embarrassing dud. Was it all in Val's head? Sometimes it's fascinating that flicks like this make it through production. The kind of film that makes you ask why bother? SKIP!

• Dec 11, 2015

Thought provoking film. Who was using the nail-gun? Does the ending provide the viewer with three choices? 1. Choose to contemplate who was controlling whom and who did what. Much like the detective throughout the film. 2. Choose to just chill out, accept an explanation, and move on with enjoying life's pleasures. Much like the detective. 3. Choose to forget the film entirely and move on with life. Much like people who never choose to view the film.

• Sep 26, 2012

I tried to watch this because of Val Kilmer -- well, not worth it --

I tried to watch this because of Val Kilmer -- well, not worth it --

• Sep 08, 2012

Hard to judge this one as I was gripped for the majority of this showing, right up until the concluding part when all of a sudden the ending made no sense whatsoever. I'm a firm believer that movies should be structured in a manner that gets us fixated from the offset, continually throws in various ingredients to keep us glued, and then shocks us with an unsuspecting ending. The latter was certainly unpredictable, but it pretty much ruined what was a decent spectacle up until that point. We had the introduction of a seemingly normal human being voicing his concern of global warming to the press, and to get their full attention, he had admitted to holding 6 randoms in a steam room to demonstrate the likely effects of the increasing temperatures. The question was, was this an event from the past, was it a current situation, or was it all just a hoax?! Nevertheless we are enticed into thinking it's all occurring in the present time frame, and as such we witness the 6 individuals becoming acquainted on the initial thought they were attendees of a dating agency giveaway. That enjoyment soon turns to horror as the temperature rises, the doors are locked, and there's no escape. Turning on each other one by one, they panic at the realisation that no one may be coming for them, and there only hope is to breakout themselves, which is made all the more difficult in the blistering heat and claustrophobic conditions. At the same time, our brain is being taxed by the police investigation that runs alongside this, that looks to uncover the truth behind whether this is all really happening. In this sense it reminded me of the film Saw 2 as we switch between the hostage scenario and the police giving the accused a good grilling. I was therefore hoping that this would have the same enthralling finish too, but I couldn't have been more disappointed. Not only did it not make sense at the time, it didn't make sense after reading Wikipedia, and it was just one poorly designed conclusion. After a promising 75%, all the credible work was undone with a finale that I'm struggling to write about given that I still can't come to terms with what message was attempted to be conveyed. I think there was an overuse of twists, and as such it has made the film very twisted in itself. It's a shame because up until that point it had good characters, a good blend of action, some quite violent and gory, and was keeping the mind ticking away. Id be inclined to give this another go at some point, ideally in the company of someone who can perhaps explain the logic behind this, as it has evidently bypassed me completely.

• Sep 02, 2012

one of the worst movies ever

one of the worst movies ever

• May 13, 2012

It starts well then it ends with not enough depth. Its a typical gruesome film that mainly relies on the blood for viewing impact.

• Apr 15, 2012

I refuse to believe that such a terrible script managed to make it past the garbage can.

• Apr 07, 2012

definitely a B movie... had never heard of it, but a friend had rented it for a dollar from the red box and we decided to give it a shot... it was weird and we had some where to go so we didn't finish watching it but i'm not really that interested in renting it again just to see how it finishes

• Mar 19, 2012

This is an ineptly made "film" with a nonsensical plot and thinly sketched characters. Val Kilmer plays a deranged scientist who seems to think that the effects of global warming are imminent, and so locks six people in a steam room to prove his point while he also uses them as a bargaining chip to get his "story" published. If that all sounds wacko, it's because it is. Nothing about this makes sense. Val Kilmer is basically portraying a stereotypical conspiracy nut job, but he doesn't even do it that well. And that filmmakers decided to drag global warming into this is even more stupid because it denigrates a serious scientific effort by putting it in the same category with people who believe(d) the world would end in 2012 (and schizophrenic madmen). Aside from him, none of the characters are really given any back story, or any reason to care about them. Armand Assante (as an off-duty cop) does a serviceable job with the material given him and kind of acts as the surrogate for the audience, in a way. He calls out Val Kilmer's character for what he is, and says what everybody in the audience must be thinking about him. Still, it looked like he was sleepwalking through the entire thing. Eric Roberts was the only other actor in this piece of trash that I recognized, but he's given even less to do as one of the six people trapped in a steam room (or are they?). Here is where the writing really lacked. There was no character development to give the audience any reason to care about them, aside from a couple sentences from each stating who they were, where they were from and what they liked/disliked. That's it. After that, it was just them hanging around and slowly going crazy after they find out they can't get out. I just have to say that the film-making here was rather shoddy. The editing was really weird, especially in the steam room scenes. You would have one character speaking, but then it would fade to another while that character was still talking, and replay bits of dialogue. Also, the steam room scenes occur in between scenes of Val Kilmer and Armand Assante and are shown in such a way that it appears that Val Kilmer is either telepathic/omnipotent or he's describing something that already happened, which would directly contradict what he said in the beginning of the movie. Considering that his character is crazy, I guess I could just let it slide but honestly, it's just poor writing, through and through. Val Kilmer's character is basically a Jigsaw wannabe, but only in his head. Even with the mental state of the lead character in question, the appearance of two people (coincidentally, the last two survivors from the steam room) still makes no sense in the context of the story and raises more questions than it answers. Overall, this is a frustratingly bad movie with poor filmic qualities, horrible acting and a story that's too thin and makes no sense. I look forward to never seeing this again.