Christmas in July Reviews

• Nov 17, 2019

Lovely film, me gustò màs que Lady Eve.

Lovely film, me gustò màs que Lady Eve.

• Jan 27, 2019

The best comedy movie ever made!

The best comedy movie ever made!

• Oct 19, 2015

In some ways, I feel Christmas in July may be my favourite Preston Sturges picture. Its short, to the point, and wonderfully told. Its about a day dreaming contest participant Jimmy MacDonald, who thinks he can make it big by entering contests. His girlfriend Betty is by his side, regardless of his many losses. When his co-workers play a little prank and send him a telegram saying he`s won, he goes on a huge shopping spree, and even has the President of the contest fooled. What follows is a quaint and enjoyable little comedy with a lot of themes of perception and ambition, and it works quite well.

• Apr 18, 2015

There were some nice parts, but I found the film a bit boring.

There were some nice parts, but I found the film a bit boring.

• Apr 11, 2015

Compact early Preston Sturges effort that actually has nothing wrong with it - it just isn't a masterpiece like the comedies he would make in the next few years. Dick Powell (post-musicals, pre-noir) is an earnest but poor guy hoping to win a slogan contest run by a big coffee company offering $25K as a price (with inflation that's $400K to you and me). When the guys in his office send him a prank telegram telling him he's won, things spiral out of control from there (in true Sturges fashion). Good support from Ellen Drew as his gal, Raymond Walburn as the coffee company boss, and, of course, Sturges regular William Demarest in a bit part. At just over an hour, you can't lose.

• Nov 17, 2014

It's all about the writing... and it is phenomenal. Another Sturges classic ahead of its time (the critique on a growing capitalistic society) that is yet to earn the praise it immensely deserves.

• Sep 24, 2014

Christmas in July is a charming little film from the 1940s. It is not a holiday film, despite the title. It is the story of a coffee company that is holding a contest to select a new slogan, and a young man who believes he has won this contest. It is one of those films built around one small misunderstanding blowing up into larger and larger issues. Naturally hilarity ensues, and in classic Hollywood style everybody lives happily ever after (well almost everybody.) I enjoy the simplicity of this movie. It makes me feel nostalgic for the "good old days" of cinema when you could just tell a nice story and everyone could walk away with a smile on their face, without having to delve into a dark subplot and a dramatic twist at the end. What is surprising is the fact that, there also seems to be a bit of a statement being made here about the frustrating nature of the corporate world. It's almost like they're using this whole ad slogan gimmick as a way of satirizing the business world, as well as the advertising industry. I like that it has that kind of edge to it, because it gives some added weight to what is otherwise a light and fluffy story. Because this movie is so small it relies almost entirely on the writers and the actors to provide a good product. I appreciated the wit of the story and some of the humorous moments the writers created, but I think the primary reason I found Christmas in July to be successful was the acting. Dick Powell was pretty good as the protagonist with a heart of gold. His portrayal of Jimmy is very "head-in-the-clouds" and he cares a lot about the people around him too. I don't think Ellen Drew was given much to do with her part as Betty, but she delivered her final speech with enough impact to make it work for me. The real great performances, however, came from the supporting cast. Raymond Walburn is hilarious as Dr. Maxford, Ernest Truex is great as Mr. Baxter, even William Demarest's small role as Bildocker was fun to see for a couple of scenes. If you like these older black-and-white comedies I'd recommend Christmas in July. Besides it's only 67 minutes long, so what have you got to lose?

• Aug 25, 2014

Not the greatest Surges film nor the best Dick Powell film..but damn good. Despite the title not a holiday film. I am surprised that his co-star Ellen Drew never became a bigger star. One to track down and watch on TCM

• Jan 06, 2014

Pleasant romantic comedy from Preston Sturges featuring a great cast and wonderful performances from the 2 leads, Dick Powell and Ellen Drew.

• Dec 08, 2013

A very overlooked Preston Sturges comedy starring Dick Powell who's convinced that he's won $25,000 from a slogan contest sponsored by a coffee company. It takes a while for the film to kick in, but once it does, Christmas in July is a laugh riot. It's also a little too short for my tastes, but I was entertained by this underrated Sturges film. Raymond Walburn is the extreme scene-stealer here as Maxford the head of the coffee company behind the contest. It's not the essential Preston Sturges film (that being Sullivan's Travels), but Christmas in July is overlooked, underrated, entertaining, and needs to be seen more.