C.O.G. - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

C.O.G. Reviews

½ May 21, 2016
Not comedy, not gay, just an autobiography from one of those who had the guts to go out there and live life and noy only pass by it
May 20, 2016
lining up for the microwave in the factory. friggin depressing. apples and ignorant pretentious angst. interesting mix. i would have liked this a lot more without the constant clacky clappy soundtrack.
February 29, 2016
Racism, wealth, sexuality & religion - all take turns being the main themes in this small drama. For a relatively short, small town movie that doesn't have many characters or a lot going for it, it's quite complex. I felt this film was more about friendship & the different relationships Samuel made along the way rather than some journey of 'self-discovery' that all the critics are claiming. It's not as captivating or even that interesting for the most part but it showcases enough to be effective I reckon. Another brilliant performance from O'Hare.
February 10, 2016
The effort to seem profound and elevating for the audience is almost too obvious. Groff delivers on talent, but the script drags and holds few surprises.
September 3, 2015
I liked where it was going until it hit the certain spot, which, to me, felt too contrived and odd. I do think it's a well-shot and well-acted film; the performances are generally great, and the score is quite unique. The problem with it is that at the end, it's not going anywhere and we don't get to find out the reason why the protagonist decides to give up everything they have and work at the apple garden/factory. It is no way near as good as Alvarez's follow-up film The Stanford Prison Experiment, and since I saw the latter film first, I was quite disappointed by C.O.G. It is unique, but I felt the film was incomplete.
August 16, 2015
Wasn't really so big a fan of the ending. We deserved more closure than we received, but still enjoyed the journey.
June 10, 2015
David and all the characters that came his way were all pretty intriguing, and that was enough to make C.O.G. worth the watch until the end. The ending was also surprising as I didn't saw it coming and there couldn't be a better one. This film also reminded me of the short story "A Good Man is Hard to Find" though it isn't connected to the film in any way.
May 9, 2015
Buen comienzo, mejor desarrollo pero el final se quedó sin sentido. No de sabe si es un mensaje positivo o negativo del cristianismo.
February 24, 2015
Definitely a David Sedaris piece. & glad I finally got to see it.
December 29, 2014
Hopefully other David Sedaris stories will translate better into film than this one did, but still a LGBT story worth watching. CDW
½ December 16, 2014
The awful score is so off-putting and the film unapologetically ambiguous about its intentions (which are never made exactly clear), as though just to place Groff's character from HBO TV series Looking - cocky, awkward and easily intimidated - in this sort of situation and not go anywhere from there.
½ December 9, 2014
Just flat out one of the worst movies I've ever seen. And not because it's deceptively about a young gay man's coming of age. Mostly the lack of a plot/storyline. It's like they filmed it all, and then forgot what order the scenes were supposed to be in, so the director just guessed.
October 8, 2014
Good timeline and develop of characters, but ending wasn't good in my opinion.
September 1, 2014
The story is just beautifully carried out.
½ August 17, 2014
It was kinda confusing but i liked it
August 4, 2014
Just about all of these David Sedaris' characters speak the same crude dialog, unlike all of Chekhov's characters. Each Chekhov character has a separate personality.
August 3, 2014
thought provoking and unpredictable. the main character is not very endearing.
July 19, 2014
You know that special part of the story that ties up everything at the end and ensures the audience that there's more to come, or that there's nothing more to say? Let's see you try walking out of this and not feeling cheated, because it seems to me that the last ten or so pages of the script probably never existed.