The Comancheros - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Comancheros Reviews

½ November 1, 2016
In the name of Texas, Sam Houston and justice, the Duke battles the 'wild' Injuns and gun-runners. Nice scenery but another outdated Western, with Lee Marvin making an all too brief appearance. Those more familiar with Stuart Whitman's later career may be surprised by his appearance in an A-list film.
½ August 12, 2016
Michael Curtiz' last film is a solid and layered piece of actioner as a Texas Ranger tries to take out some knuckleheads suppling rifles to the Comanches. Yeah sure, it's a John Wayne film (and don't you forget it, pilgrim!) but there's room for everyone here. The word rollicking comes to mind.
½ February 21, 2016
Charming and agreeable, it moves along at a good clip. Shot in widescreen saturated CinemaScope, ... it's entertaining in a predictable way.
November 23, 2014
½ November 9, 2014
'Yah, Here Come The Rangers, The Best in Texas'... Enduring Western-Just like your first rattler. One look and you'll know--Larger than life, fun, action packed, with memorable characters... Falling Horses and repeater rifles!!
June 16, 2014
This is a really engaging western. Nothing too deep here, but it's well-paced, light and enjoyble. Wayne and Whitman work well together. Lee Marvin apperas briefly and totally steals the film with a wild, crazed performance. One doesn't think of Curtiz as a director of westerns, but he handles the genre with the smooth professionalism he brought to all his films. This was his last film. He was dying of cancer while directing it and apparently Wayne tepped in and directed quite a bit of it.
½ November 3, 2013
Very good western adventure film!
½ April 16, 2013
---One of Wayne's better westerns, with a good storyline, interesting characters and excellent cast. Cinematography is exceptional, the musical score is rousing, and Wayne's portrayal of a dedicated Texas Ranger, still grieving for the wife he lost years earlier, is at times quite poignant.
---The "buddy" chemistry between Wayne and co-star Whitman is very good, and, as usual, with a James Edward Grant script (partnered with feminine dialogue powerhouse Clair Huffaker), the dialogue always "feels right" for the character. Very entertaining and fast-paced, The Comancheros rates a solid A-.
August 12, 2012
This is a very boring movie and the plot is lame, LAME, LAME!!!!!
½ July 12, 2012
Very Solid John Wayne Western!
July 9, 2012
Monday March 22, 2010

(1961) The Comancheros
WESTERN/ ACTION

Out of all the John Wayne's 'shoot em up' westerns is concerned, this one is probably one of my favorite's in terms of action is concerned. Besides being the most action oriented John Wayne had ever done, this film also marks as Michael Curtiz final film of "Casablanca" fame!!! Simplistic storyline has John Wayne as sheriff finding and tracking down "Wanted" Paul Regret for shooting the judges son on a fair challenge, while travelling with him he then builds a rapport with him after saving his life before being asked to aide and help an illegal gun trade operation with some comancheroes . Favorite film of all time since the reason for it's storyline was to adapt to John Waynes real life views as a straight up hard nosed sheriff. Brightly photographed locations as well as well staged action sequences. Lee Marvin also has a small part in this film too as a scalphunter trader.

This film gets a
4/4
February 2, 2012
67/100. I have Mixed feelings about this movie. It had great cinematography but poor period detail. Movie had some great action scenes and humor between Duke and Mon-SEWER, but also wore on when the film got off track such as the brief scene with Wayne's love interest who surprisingly never surfaced again after a small scene developing Wayne's backstory. Lee Marvin had a great cameo but Stuart Whitman and Ina Balin didn't do much to impress me. Well made but nothing too memorable to take away after a viewing. Decent but unspectacular entry in John Wayne and Michael Curtiz's filmographies. Good editing and writing with another amazing Elmer Bernstein score.
½ January 25, 2012
I never saw this John Wayne film growing with many others. I enjoyed it.
½ January 24, 2012
One of the better John Wayne bores.
½ December 30, 2011
3.5: I certainly didn't realize this was the last of 173 films for Michael Curtiz until after it had concluded. I wouldn't consider him one of my favorite directors, but one cannot but recognize that he did direct a remarkable number of classic films (Casablanca, The Adventures of Robin Hood, Mildred Pierce, Yankee Doodle Dandy, Captain Blood, etc) in addition to a veritable bevy of lesser known quality pictures (The Charge of the Light Brigade, Angels with Dirty Faces, Dodge City, Essex and Elizabeth, The Sea Hawk, Dive Bomber, Passage to Marseille, Night and Day, etc). Perhaps the reason he is mostly forgotten is perfectly illustrated by the wide variety of pictures listed above: he did not necessarily have a characteristic style or genre, like Ford, Hitchcock, Lubitsch, Hawks, Wilder, etc. He was more of a chameleon and hence thought to be less of an auteur. I believe this is only the second Curtiz Western I've seen, the other being Dodge City, but he certainly knew how to make them. His locations obviously draw from the genius of those that have gone before - Ford and Monument Valley - but they are photographed very well. The story is brisk, engaging, and thoroughly recognizable. However, this doesn't keep it from seeming somewhat unique. I can think of few other Westerns that include a New Orleans river boat and quite this many coincidences. In that sense, it is a very modern story. The ending is also somewhat unique as our hero, John Wayne's character, is not necessarily shut out from civilization. He is in the process of taming the land where he will likely reside. He is going "home" to the widow he loves to mend her fences. It is yet another solid performance from Wayne and he happens to be backed up by a quality cast as well, even if it does seem a little strange to not have all the Ford or Hawks stable of characters involved. Very well done. they rarely make them like this nowadays. It seems effortless, whereas most Westerns today seem to be trying a bit too hard; it just doesn't come naturally anymore I guess.
½ December 23, 2011
111223: At least the second viewing of this film in my life, but likely, as a child, saw it many times. Had my taste for westerns even as a youngster. The Duke was a champion of sorts, at least until dark hero's like Eastwood took over the west. Unfortunately, this film is showing its 50 years of age. What seemed like great action is often comical now. Not so great as my last True West made it out to be. Unless you're a hard core western or John Wayne fan, which I am, I'd leave it alone.
½ July 3, 2011
A great cast in a very enjoyable Wayne western. One that has more below the surface than your typical western of the time. I especially enjoyed Lee Marvin, though his stint was too short. Interesting and fresh storyline as well.
½ June 8, 2011
Good and entertaining western.