Crazy Rich Asians Reviews

• Feb 19, 2021

Not sure why this movie has high ratings, but it was very boring, flat and superficial. The only great thing about it was being able to see a variety of Asian actors and depictions of the culture. But the focus on the richness and looks was trite. Also, I did not laugh once, despite this being a romantic comedy. The humor was underdeveloped. The romance was underdeveloped. It was a very basic movie that took no chances and had no surprises. A better screenplay was definitely needed.

• Erica Bee
    Feb 17, 2021

Excellent overall...cinematography, story line, characters, & great ending!

Excellent overall...cinematography, story line, characters, & great ending!

• Feb 14, 2021

fairly mindless entertainment but enjoyable....

fairly mindless entertainment but enjoyable....

• Jan
    Feb 14, 2021

Very funny. Difficult at times to understand dialogue.

Very funny. Difficult at times to understand dialogue.

• Kathy
    Feb 13, 2021

Lighthearted, enjoyable, gorgeous scenery

Lighthearted, enjoyable, gorgeous scenery

• Feb 11, 2021

Cinematography, interaction of the characters and story was exceptional....

Cinematography, interaction of the characters and story was exceptional....

• Feb 09, 2021

Apart from the extravagant sets and beautiful locations, the movie doesn't really have anything going for it. Its a common love story trope about an 'ordinary' girl falling in love with a secret billionaire with the only difference being the entirely Asian cast.

• Feb 08, 2021

Starts off worryingly superficial bling like with a lot of wealthy Asian expat in-jokes. It does ultimately progress to having a bit more charm as the plot develops into something predictable and cliché driven but still nicely done. And yeah of course there's the stereotypical camp Asian fashionista thrown in for good measure.

• Marisol M Super Reviewer
    Feb 08, 2021

Constance Wu is infinitely more engaging and charismatic here than in 'Hustlers' - it doesn't even feel like the same actress. 'Asians' is a lavish, spirited, and just broad enough comedy that embraces how low-key ostracized one can be in adjusting as definitively American to a tightly-networked Singaporean family. I was hanging on every word Michelle Yeoh utters like it's gospel and that scene with Wu on the stairs - yowza. Hearing the term "banana" for the first time when I've had "oreo" thrown my way before in life? I felt that. Though 'Asians' is comfortably structured by genre formula, that is outweighed by how genuinely the central conflicts are addressed (and resolved, mostly), the commitment of the charming ensemble, and the sheer joy of experiencing so many Asian actors in a mainstream film for a dumb ol' American like me. Bring on them sequels!

• Feb 07, 2021

Not everything clicked for me but on the whole, Crazy Rich Asians is a great romcom that not only takes a huge step forward towards screen representation but also, amidst the stellar acting and visually lovely production design, does a good job highlighting class differences, most prominently in a Mahjong scene in the climax. I'm not a big romcom fan but I do recommend checking this film out, even if you aren't Asian.