Crazy Rich Asians Reviews

• 4d ago

Yassss, wonderfully nostalgic for anyone who was raised with some Chinese background, not to say that our lives were like that but the song choices were on point. We could relate to the movie by the song choices alone, because it brought back memories to the songs our parents listened to. It's honestly a mild glimpse into the lives of the 1% and a romantic love letter to Singapore. Did a great job touching upon what Singapore is known for with that first scene of them landing in the country and eating street food, it's truly a dining experience for all the classes and enjoyed by all. They even ate sting ray, a delicacy the locals enjoy but isn't so common elsewhere in Asia. The writing is clever and fun to watch, highly recommend to everyone!

• Sep 16, 2019

The movie was enjoyable to watch and is a great rental to watch on a long airplane flight.

• Sep 14, 2019

Formulaic but irresistable. Leads are crazy likable.

Formulaic but irresistable. Leads are crazy likable.

Amazing ~ LOVED every second of this movie!!!!☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Amazing ~ LOVED every second of this movie!!!!☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

its an asian cinderella story.. typical

its an asian cinderella story.. typical

• Sep 13, 2019

Lasted under a half hour. Blecccchhhh. Even the music was intolerable.

Lasted under a half hour. Blecccchhhh. Even the music was intolerable.

• Sep 12, 2019

I Love The Movie So Much I Give 2 Thumbs way up

I Love The Movie So Much I Give 2 Thumbs way up

• Sep 08, 2019

I cant finish it,its too predictable..waste my money on movie ticket..

I cant finish it,its too predictable..waste my money on movie ticket..

• Aug 31, 2019

A fairly basic and predictable rom-com. A refreshing change of scenery and casting though.

• Aug 27, 2019

A warm hearted drama with some goofy comedy! Jon M. Chu's romance drama-comedy Crazy Rich Asians (2018) is primarily a critique of the ultra wealthy in China's superficial obsession with possessions. Chu takes on the bourgeois class of Asian elites by demonstrating how all their lavish parties, akin to The Great Gatsby's vapid parties, cannot hide how shallow their existence is in the end. The whole point is to remember your family, but cherish the one you love despite what your culture dictates. It's a sentimental and sweet concept that is executed very well. I think many viewers may just gaze at the decadent lives of the comfortably rich and simply desire their lifestyle. But a more patient and observant audience will find a smart parable behind all the glitz and glamour. Chu's direction features long takes of funny sequences and quirky characters that pop out from the screen. Chu's use of focusing the camera always lets the viewer know where to look. He takes advantage of all the gorgeous scenery and ornate events to keep you entranced by Crazy Rich Asians' unique visual flair. I must say that Kevin Kwan, Pete Chiarelli, and Adele Lim's script is wonderfully romantic in a touching and subtle way. They highlight the more admirable aspects in a relationship in how you love a person for who they are, not what they have. Crazy Rich Asians also makes the point that you should try to make your significant other feel welcome and heard around you and your family. The romance side to Crazy Rich Asians is legitimately tender and affectionate. Whereas, Crazy Rich Asians' comedy side is goofy with odd scenarios and wild gestures of how cruel and ridiculous the affluent are at all times. The petty meanness of the upper class in Crazy Rich Asians can feel over the top, but that's also the fun of the movie! You are whisked off to a foreign land and culture and get to experience food, clothes, music, statues, flowers, and parties of those in another tax bracket. I love that the soundtrack is asian artists covering beloved pop songs. It feels contemporary with its modern remixes, but inviting as you are familiar with what you are hearing. I adore Constance Wu as the lead Rachel Chu. She's so relatable and likable in Crazy Rich Asians. You feel so bad as everyone is bullying her and demeaning her, even though she hasn't done anything wrong. Wu is lovely and charming with a natural ease into the various jokes she has to pull off, but she shines brightest as an endearing romantic love interest and leading lady. Michelle Yeoh is sublime as the tough and reactionary mother-in-law Eleanor Sung-Young, whose sole purpose is to break up her son's pairing. She is particular about how she speaks and presents herself as Yeoh always knows how to hit you hardest with a choice word or sinister glare. I love Gemma Chan's nuanced portrayal of a doting wife, named Astrid Leong-Teo, living in misery because of her loveless marriage. She is another dramatic heart within Crazy Rich Asians alongside Constance Wu. Chan gives just as compelling as performance. Her scene with Constance Wu on the beach is saddening, but Gemma Chan is devastating during her confrontation with her husband, played by the uncomfortable and revealing Pierre Png. I thoroughly enjoyed Awkwafina's supporting comedy role as Goh Peik Lin. Her off the wall delivery and crazy commentary made for delightfully funny moments in Crazy Rich Asians. I just wish there were more hilarious parts as most of the film is great drama, but the comedy is only here and there. Tonally, Crazy Rich Asians wants to be a serious romance drama and it excels at this genre, but the comedy routines in between the heartfelt stuff does not always inspire laughter. I wish that Crazy Rich Asians developed the two lead's chemistry. A majority of the film sees the main couple separated between men and women, while everyone creates gossip about them. This is a neat narrative technique to establish a rift between lovers, but does nothing to remind you of why the love each other. Crazy Rich Asians just starts off with the movie telling us they're in love without showing us enough to convince you that they are genuinely affectionate for one another. I wanted more setup with them as a real couple before the split in affection. It doesn't help that, though charming, Henry Golding is slightly flat as the leading man Nick Young. He has a certain chemistry with Constance Wu, but they are not on screen together a lot, so he mainly interacts with his friends. This makes him the straight man for all the wacky characters surrounding him without developing him as a character. Crazy Rich Asians even ends with the most cliche romance finale in an airplane, but with a fun twist of the lead getting interrupted by the other passengers. Overall, Crazy Rich Asians is a moving romance drama and a pretty funny comedy. Jon M. Chu directs with lush style and creative vision to keep you completely engaged in the spectacle of it all. I think Crazy Rich Asians will remain a classic romance drama despite its few flaws.