Crimes and Misdemeanors - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Crimes and Misdemeanors Reviews

October 27, 2016
A clever & innovative Woody Allen film that links two stories the first around a crime & second a misdemeanor.

Filled with terrific scenes that are staged impeccably, Woody Allen's dialogue scenes are truly something else.

Filled with an all star cast this film captures a lot of depth of morality & what happens when you abandon it. A clever comedy/drama that goes a little deeper than his usual work.
October 20, 2016
Behind all the crimes and misdemeanors are the unresolved question of theodicy -- is there a God care enough to exercise justice in our lives? Woody Allen is a skeptic leaning toward the No.
July 31, 2016
"- You will notice that what we are aiming at when we fall in love is a very strange paradox. The paradox consists of the fact that, when we fall in love, we are seeking to re-find all or some of the people to whom we were attached as children. On the other hand, we ask our beloved to correct all of the wrongs that these early parents or siblings inflicted upon us. So that love contains in it the contradiction: The attempt to return to the past and the attempt to undo the past."
June 29, 2016
Allen's nihilistic and misanthropic "Crimes and Misdemeanors" is the atheistic remake of Dostoyevsky's "Crime and Punishment," with the change of intent obviously present in the switch of title. Allen's statement here is a film that is utterly hopeless and believes that each human's individual choices make what their life is, that some choose to believe in God despite the lack of truth in that idea to get by in their life, some choose to love their family or their friends, etc. It essentially boils down to the existential belief that there is no meaning in life except what you make of it. But I do not fault the film for only having an untruthful philosophical message, I also in general found it to be a rather paltry Allen film besides its pretentious facade. I's generally unfunny and not involving dramatically. All of the characters are either despicable or pathetic, and all of Allen's most grating tendencies are not diluted here. I believe the majority of people who give this film a high rating enjoy it for the questions it asks and the "wise" sounding conclusions it reaches, but as someone who's very focused on philosophy I found its posturing dull and hollow.
½ May 13, 2016
Definitely top-tier Woody Allen. The writing, acting and directing are first-rate, as he finishes off another of his artistic purple patches. I'm not an Alan Alda fan in the slightest simply because he's so good at this slimy, know-it-all persona that he once again carries off so effortlessly here. An essential watch for all cinephiles, and worth a purchase and rewatches for Woody Allen enthusiasts.
½ March 30, 2016
Long boring movie. Not funny in any part
½ February 27, 2016
I've seen most of Woody Allen's recent films and figured it would be worth checking out some of his older films and this one was on HBO the other day. I liked this film quite a bit and it was fairly original and unique. The two parallel stories were quite a bit different, but I thought it was very smart how they worked together and were different. Overall I liked this older Woody Allen film and will watch more of his older films soon.
January 16, 2016
Almost 'too' interesting.
October 26, 2015
Another brilliant film with fabulous supporting actors.
July 27, 2015
Along with his '06 Match Point, this is one of Allen's most philosophical films. His sense of the morally ironic in the form the metaphor of "sight" -- who has it, who doesn't? -- is genius. Allen, as with Match Point, does not seems to give up what I take as his central thesis: God is dead, and contingency and chance figure the most in human existence.
July 18, 2015
"I haven't been inside of a woman since I visited the Statue of Liberty."

This movie gets 4 stars for that line alone. The rest is a wonderfully acted piece of the usual Woody Allen middle class/middle aged crisis dramedy that we've come to expect. Not one of his all-time bests but a solid effort all around.
July 2, 2015
Before "Match Point," Woody Allen made this slightly more enjoyable film about murder and morals. "Crimes and Misdemeanors" is complex and finds a balanced blend of comedy and drama.
July 2, 2015
A really good ensemble piece even if the ensemble as a whole isn't Woody Allen's best collection of characters. Of course, Allen is a delight to watch with his charm and timing. Alan Alda is great as a narcissistic producer and Martin Landau does good work (although surprising he was the performance that earned an Oscar nomination) but the performance that blew me away and trumped everyone else was Anjelica Huston. This is the best performance I have seen from Huston and even though she did deservingly earn an Oscar nomination for Enemies, a Love Story that same year (1989), I think this performance would have been more deserving to be nominated for if not both. It's well written like most of Allen's films and has a great capture of New York City like most of Allen's films.
June 8, 2015
Our favorite neurotic little elf bounced back from a series of stinkers and picked up a pair of Academy Award nominations for Crimes and Misdemeanors, which found him writing, directing, and starring alongside Martin Landau in a rather pensive drama that interweaves the stories of an adulterous ophthalmologist and a struggling filmmaker for whom love and romance are fraught with difficulty... and the perfect murder. It's Hitchcock meets Woody Allen, with all of Allen's trademarks; once again marrying the dissection of urban Manhattan's inhabitants with an arsenal of lampooning dialogue. Shifting the mood from dark to comedic to social satire with seamless aplomb, Crimes and Misdemeanors is a sophisticated, ambitious, dark meditation on murder and guilt that still manages to be uproariously funny.
May 25, 2015
Alternately very dark and very light, this dazzling masterpiece from Woody Allen is one of his very best.
May 10, 2015
A surprisingly dark philosophical study of human nature. One of Allen's best films.
May 7, 2015
Woody Allen. ...You either love him or hate him. I don't think I need to say much more than that. Regardless, a genius film. A perfect, well balanced mix of comedy & drama that never takes itself too seriously. And personally speaking, a fave.
½ May 4, 2015
One of Allen's best pictures; a multi-faceted gem. Landau is superb as the conflicted anti-hero, and Allen is perfect as the good-natured loser, undone by the world around him.
April 7, 2015
Woody Allen masterfully explores the threshold line that separates faith from reason, the sacred from the profane. Betrayal, murder, theft, envy, anger, greed etc. All sins are mixed in a whirlwind of ideas and real life lessons. Although simple aesthetically, Crimes and Misdemeanors can take a philosophy class and intelligence in just one hour and thirty minutes.
½ April 1, 2015
There's a lot of philosophy talk in this movie. Most scenes work, but not all. Like when buddy is having a flashback and he sees his family. You're thinking it's going to be heart-warming and all that, but they get into an argument about religion and Hitler and ethics while buddy is standing in the corner watching it teary-eyed. I'm not sure if that scene was intended to be funny but I laughed. Woody Allen is great in this. So is Landau but his story is completely different from Woody's with some pretty heavy themes. The whole experience is like listening to a Cure album. Happy one second, sad the next, then happy, then pondering the meaning of life, and sad again...