Darkest Hour - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Darkest Hour Reviews

March 18, 2018
In what's been a quiet couple of weeks since the Academy Awards, I decided to see how Gary Oldman won his piece of gold for playing one of not 'the' greatest political leaders that'd ever lived. Despite having a heavy focus on what Churchill was like as a leader, Oldman's performance is masterclass as if he's the one thing driving the very plot of the film more than any other character involved. Nonetheless, it's an incredibly fine film where Oldman has delivered a performance worthy of an Oscar as well as the sturdily fine robust direction and production with enough scripting material to cover anything that affect the very person Churchill was during the dark and turbulent time of Britain's "Darkest Hour". Check this one out at your own will, even if it's just for the unrecognizable and outstanding portrayal of Churchill Gary Oldman puts on, but more importantly to show what great leadership then could do for our generation now.
½ March 18, 2018
Excellent movie and can see why Gary Oldman gets the Oscar!
March 17, 2018
What a terrific movie! Gary Oldham's Academy Award was well deserved
½ March 17, 2018
This is without a doubt Gary Oldman's finest performance of his entire career. He and the makeup department did such a fantastic job that if I hadn't known who was playing Churchill going in, I would've assumed it was some other actor I'd never heard of.

The cinematography was damn good (yes I love drone shots), which shocked me because this isn't the type of movie where you'd expect it.

The pacing was also on point. Darkest Hour never dragged or felt rushed. A smooth consistent flow that most films fail to achieve.

Ultimately, I don't know how accurate it is or isn't to both the real life Chruchill, his political opponents/allies, nor the real world British politics that were in play at the time, but the film gets so many basic movie qualities right that I'd be willing to forgive it even if it does take some great liberties.

Definitely one of my favorite movies of 2017.
March 17, 2018
The Writing, The Direction And Gary Oldmanīs Performance, Really Made This Movie For Me. I Had A Very Nice Time Watching It And I Think Itīs One Of 2017īs Bestīs
March 16, 2018
amazing film. beautifully done and riveting story. in my opinion, it should have won best picture.
March 15, 2018
Darkest hour may not appeal to everyone, but it is a lush period piece that amidst all the talking and politics makes room for a truly mesmerizing Gary Oldman performance.
½ March 15, 2018
A stellar turn by Gary Oldman brings a forgotten moment back to life.
½ March 15, 2018
Absolutely creative and endearing.
March 14, 2018
Winston Churchill is truly brought to life by Gary Oldman and his story of steadfast resistance to the Nazi threat without and the interior pressures within is captivating. Indeed, this "Darkest Hour" in British history found its hero and honours him here.
March 14, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed this one.
March 13, 2018
Each of Finney, Hardy and Hoskins . . . sans caricature makeup . . . was a far more credible Churchill . . . with a far better script . . . and . . . a far better supporting cast . . . from Chamberlain to Clementine to Halifax to Randolph. Oldman deserved better . . . and . . . was more deserving of Oscar as Lee Harvey Oswald in JFK.
½ March 13, 2018
A compelling depiction of one of the most iconic leaders in history. No surprise that Gary Oldman delivers an academy-winning performance.
½ March 13, 2018
Oldman's performance is transformative.
March 12, 2018
The best portrayal of Winston Churchill and what was going on behind the scenes on the preliminary stages of world war II. Gary oldman as Churchill is outstanding.
March 11, 2018
A few rousing moments, and some uncomfortably funny / charming moments. I was inspired (by the former). But How much was true, and how much was dramatization? This movie really left me with doubts, even after the text at the end of the movie said what happened to the real life characters. I wish I knew how real this was, and the deeper realities, because the movie did convey the gravity of the situation faced by the Brits in 1940. What other fights must we enter into, not knowing how we could possibly emerge victorious, yet we must try? Sometimes the alternative is unpalatable. This movie carries gravity for us today.

If you want to see a cute grumpy old man (Oldman) be cute and grumpy and sometimes a drunk grandpa and give a good hurrah at the end, here you go. If you want to see Gary Oldman and some makeup person win academy awards, here you go. I am curious about what really went down in the mind of Churchill and company. I can credit the movie for sparking my curiosity, and encouraging me to fight even for and especially for the causes that seem lost.
March 11, 2018
Darkest Hour really illustrates how the world came within a millimeter of being a completely different place. So much of history is that way! A lot has turned on a dime.

The historical perspective is good. The acting is excellent, and the writing is top notch.

Star Wars was warmed over roadkill, and this one is original and interesting....

It deserves a statue or two.

For an $8 ticket, you get $15 worth of entertainment.
½ March 11, 2018
3.5 out of 5 stars
This film is exactly as expected, predictably "Oscar-aimed". Beautiful cinematography and costumes, and a stellar performance by Oldman as Churchill. Very formulaic though and contrived with bits that made my eyes roll. That said, it's a solid biopic if you can stomach its pristine, idealized construction.
March 11, 2018
excellent movie and gary oldman is terrific. and a very interesting history lesson about what churchill was up against and how close things came to going the wrong way. a must see.
March 11, 2018
With excellent writing, directing and cinematography, an emotional and realistic WWII London is brought to life, supported by an excellent cast. This is all topped off by an incredibly transformed Gary Oldman, fully evoking Churchill and giving us the performance of a life time. A big V for Victory!