David and Lisa Reviews

• Nov 24, 2019

This movie was boring as heck. Couldn't finish it.

This movie was boring as heck. Couldn't finish it.

• Jan 31, 2019

The best romance movie ever made!

The best romance movie ever made!

• Mar 12, 2018

A touching and well balanced coming of age tale of two persons who have rather extreme needs. A shame Margolin isn't better known today, I guess she wasn't offered the right parts.

• Feb 27, 2018

David and Lisa is an incredible film. It is about a young man in a mental institution for teens who begins to understand his psychosis. Keir Dullea and Janet Margolin give fantastic performances. The screenplay is well written. Frank Perry did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this movie because of the drama. David and Lisa is a must see.

• Jan 08, 2018

Another lost rating flixster! A psychological drama asking the questions, "what is crazy?", "who determines who is crazy?", "is there accountability for those people?"

• Dec 31, 2016

There are a lot of movies like this for me. I mean things I saw many years ago and have very little memory of other than that I liked them or not. Now, franky looking around on YouTube for something free to watch, a lot of this stuff shows up, probably because they are almost abandoned, or at least neglected by their corporate copyright owners who probably bought them in bulk in a package deal with films that continue to have some resale value. I also have a younger friend that I watch some of this stuff with. I turn it on with a clear disclaimer, "Well, I thought this was good 40 years ago, but that doesn't mean that it is." Sometimes I fear embarrassment that I am associating myself with an unworthy product. And this is important since I am little other than the products I identify with. That is modern life for some of us. Fortunately sometimes these products remain good and my shaky identity is for another moment secure. David and Lisa is actually better than I remember it being. It is an excellent little move. The set up is a young man, played by Keir Dullea, is being admitted to a new boarding school for young people with psychiatric problems. He is very smart, but stunted in that he can't be physically touched. If he is he recoils in angry fear, has a panic attack and says "A touch can KILL!" A touch can Kill!" The head shrink in this clearly progressive institution, Howard Da Silva in his first movie role after a decade of horrible Red Scare blacklisting, tries to get through to the young man. But David is smarter than everyone, on to the shrink game from long experience, and not cooperating. Then he meets Lisa, played by Janet Margolin, another young student clearly more troubled than he is with her split personality. This is a story of the healing power of human empathy. This is the heroic side of shrink cinema. It shows a way to help people. This is the opposite of the psychiatric horror stories that predominate cinema history, the Shock Corridors, Snake Pits, Caged, Titicut Follies, etc. Those are all exposés of poorly funded public institutions. They also provide a setting for lurid melodrama, always an easy cinema seat filler. David and Lisa is set in a place where enough money is spent on care for the ones privileged enough to afford it. David has wealthy parents. It's a different world. It's a shame that such places were not more universally available to those in need. But we have other priorities when it comes to money and many people remain simply written off, even just dumped on the street now, the fend for themselves as best they can. The survival of the fittest.

• Jan 22, 2015

a very sweet and gentle story

a very sweet and gentle story

• Jul 13, 2014

É inevitável alguma lamechice, quando uma história de boy meets girl e o drama psiquiátrico se cruzam no mesmo filme. "David and Lisa", mesmo com essas características, evita ser um tearjerker comum, muito à custa de uma excelente dinâmica entre personagens e de um núcleo de actores que contorna o exagero mesmo quando tudo chama por ele (o psicólogo sensato Howard da Silva é um brilhante exemplo de contenção e tacto). A essas qualidades juntam-se uma excelente banda-sonora, dois ou três momentos em nome do sublime, e aqui temos um indie precoce que não terá sido ignorado por quem mais tarde fez "Voando Sobre Um Ninho de Cucos", "Ordinary People" ou "Good Will Hunting".

John B Super Reviewer
    Jul 23, 2013

Nice! One of the earlier intelligent films addressing real issues without honey coating..in this case the mental issues of youth. Charming and better than the most recent efforts on the same topic.

• Feb 02, 2012

Domineering mother motif was a bit heavy-handed, but a fascinating study of mental health issues, class, and even fairly early indie film---love the "naturally" lit city night scenes.