Death Race - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Death Race Reviews

½ August 15, 2016
A lot of critics, I don't think. quite knew what to make of this film: it is hyper over the top. is incredibly dark, yet also steals elements from the video game Mario Kart, and tries to send a message about the private prisons at the same time. It's an interesting matchup, one of which the medium of movies was, I'd argue. tailor made for.. There are some not so great elements at play too including a rather annoying shaky cam, but I could overlook them easily enough.
July 9, 2016
Death Race is fast, furious, undemanding, brutal action entertainment that gets the job done.
June 29, 2016
A very thrilling ride loved it
½ June 22, 2016
Brilliant film good races some nice deaths, Good story a little different from the usual Statham films but worth multiple watches.
June 2, 2016
lol actually better than the original death race 2000
May 8, 2016
a decent movie i have both 1-2 great action just too futuristic that probably wont happen
April 24, 2016
It's fun doesn't make sense but it's fun
½ April 14, 2016
A fun big dumb action flick, but also fairly forgettable aside from a death scene here or there. I generally enjoy Jason Statham, so this is something I can see returning to as comfort food, but I'd highly doubt it'll end up being anyone's favorite film, y'know?

Possibly best viewed on cable as a guilty pleasure rather than purchased or rented.
½ March 6, 2016
Not a petrol head but must admit I quite enjoyed this film not bad for car lovers
January 26, 2016
Jason Statham's best movie ever. This movie reminds me of the game, Full Auto, for Xbox 360.
½ December 13, 2015
Death Race takes its name from the cult classic car racing B-movie from the 70's, Death Race 2000... then removes the 2000, throws everything else away and shits all over the entire concept.

Enter Jason "I'm Great at Driving Cars in Movies" Statham, a blue collar worker who used to be in NASCAR but was given a career that would make him more relateable to audiences. He comes home from work one day when he gets laid off cause something something recession, and gets framed for (get ready for it): A crime he didn't commit. Now he's in a maximum security prison where they give prisoners ... cars... and make them drive around tracks... to kill eachother, for TV ratings... ugh. Basically it's shitty version of Running Man with cars, and the same color scheme as a call of duty game. Something like 20 minutes into the movie, you'll have figured out the entire plot line (including the ending), and all that's left for you is the car racing/crashes which are honestly really half baked.

TL;DR - 3/10
The characters are unlikeable, the concept of a cross country race where you murder innocent bystanders is completely butchered, the camp factor is completely erased and replaced with a gritty edge that makes you want a mountain dew, the races are boring and take place on what looks like a crappy level of twisted metal 1. In short, this movie is dreadful. If you want something like this movie that doesn't suck, just watch Death Race 2000, the recently released Speed Racer film or hold out for the upcoming Mad Max release, because honestly, this film borders on being insulting to the viewer.
September 9, 2015
I dunno bout this one it looks like twisted metal combined with the condemned
August 23, 2015
Interesting racing film, yet intense!
August 21, 2015
I just watched this on Netflix and I have seen this before but its still fun and great has the action the car racing the explosions the so called drama. If you havent seen it give it ago and watch it. If you have seen it watch it again. This is not suitable for the kiddies.
This is the first of three chapters of this movie.
August 9, 2015
A little more splatter violence than I remember when I saw this the first time. Gladiatorial car races set in a destopian future (well 4 years after 2008 when it was made) using convicts, some on trumped up offences. Part Running Man, part Mad Max, lots of spare parts and broken vehicles. Jason Statham, Tyrese Gibson, Joan Allen playing the villan warden and (early US appearance) Jason Clarke as her henchman guard.
½ August 5, 2015
no story but very entertaining and jason statham can do no wrong in my books...where is JASON BOURNE!
½ July 26, 2015
W. S. Anderson's hyper-violent, thrilling action fantasy, about the near future where prisons are run like corporations that must make a profit. Jensen Ames, played superbly by Jason Statham, is a steel worker who was framed with his beloved wife's murder, he is being forced by a sadistic, manipulative female warden named Hennessy, played terrifically by Joan Allen, to race in her prison's notorious 'Death Race,' as a popular mask-wearing, but now dead champion named Frankenstein. This race to the death is broadcast live on the internet, and watched by millions of Americans, and makes big profits the prison. The object of this gladiatorial race is for inmates to brutalize and kill one another with their armored plated, souped-up muscle cars, which have been weaponized with machine guns. Well directed by Anderson, with some truly explosive, adrenaline-pumping action sequences. A gore-soaked kill-fest, that is a hell of a lot of fun. Highly Recommended.
June 14, 2015
awesome love the end part
½ May 17, 2015
The GOOD: Simple enough plot for a simple enough action movie. The premise (though absurd) is interesting enough to get you excited, but not too convoluted to lose you. I enjoyed the action and the creativity of the badass cars! Also, Tyrese Gibson's performance is rather unexpectedly respectable.

The BAD: This movie suffers from a clear lack of budget. Substandard cinematography and poor writing throughout. Also, the movie seemed to take itself a bit too seriously...and not seriously enough at the same time. Statham and Natalie Martinez wanted the movie to be gritty, serious, and grounded. On the flip-side, the acting and writing for Joan Allen's and Clarke's characters are so ridiculously bad, I couldn't tell if the movie was aiming to be humorous! Koehler, the comic relief I suspect, never made me laugh or smile once.

Should you see it? Go in with the expectation of seeing of seeing "just another action movie" and walk away feeling moderately satisfied.