Reviews

• Oct 13, 2017

One of my favorite movies! Tak is so not hard on the eyes and he truly makes the movie excellent! I try to intend to watch the movie not because of him but I would be lying to myself!!!!

• Sep 06, 2014

90 minutes of my life I will never get back.

90 minutes of my life I will never get back.

• Dec 05, 2012

What can I say, I have a thing for bizarre Japanese movies. Oh, and Tak is just the man, period.

• Sep 30, 2012

I say I still loved it! But the fighting part was kinda fearse

I say I still loved it! But the fighting part was kinda fearse

• Apr 18, 2012

I f+++in' love this movie!!

I f+++in' love this movie!!

• Phil H Super Reviewer
    Apr 17, 2012

An apocalyptic samurai, ninja, sci-fi western fantasy with characters that wouldn't look out of place in 'Soul Calibur', 'Mortal Kombat' and various other Japanese RPG videogames, that is how I can best describe this eye popping flick, odd title though. The main star here is again the ultra cool Tak Sakaguchi, here in a kind of supernatural samurai mode as a mythic character who drags a coffin behind him everywhere he goes (and an odd little girl in your typical Japanese 'The Ring' spooky fashion) as he basically slaughters all who stand before him. His name is 'Grave' and he searches for the ultimate battle...rock on that! This film is pretty similar to 'Versus' in the location (a forest), it stars Tak as some kind of super hero again and the fact the story is really quite bizarre and makes no real sense, plus it appears to be in a place and time that don't exist. So basically Tak has nicked the coffin from a temple and is taking it to a spot in the forest so it can grant him anything he wants...it seems the coffin can do this. Or does it? a monk is also after Tak and the coffin to stop it being opened and releasing the Goddess of destruction who will kick start an apocalypse...that's not a good thing. The monk is aided by...wait for it...Steven Seagal Jr. yep that's right, or his real name Kentaro Seagal (sounds like a 'Mortal Kombat' character), all of them battle bandits and non human creatures to reach their respective goals. The film is fast and furious with fights breaking out all over the show and many of them being...well kinda average actually. Most seem too frantic and you can see the hits aren't making contact, also to be honest Tak isn't really a well built guy, he's cool but he doesn't really come across as tough and never really looks like he could really be whipping hordes of bad guys endlessly. The look of the film is really what sets this apart, all the costumes are a kind of cross between traditional Japanese period wear with 'Mad Max', 'Water World', 'Conan', 'Krull' and many other fantasy type films throw in, it all looks highly stylish. Add to this a complete 'Army of Darkness' approach to the dark humour, camera work, extreme supernatural entities and wickedly evil looking weapons which do also include a kind of samurai 'boomstick'. Put it this way, the director of this film is Yuji Shimomura and he was the action director for 'Versus' (eh eh...you see, you see I came full circle there) and 'Devil May Cry 3' so I think you can get the gist of what I'm trying to explain here, the film is pretty much an explosive visual videogame. Its probably better than 'Versus' in my personal view as I reeeally didn't follow that a tall, this is easier to follow plus it looks ace. I dunno why but the Japanese are just good at this kind of stuff, had this been a Hollywood flick with the usual overpaid names it would have been trash.

• Apr 09, 2012

This takes you into a fantasy of martial arts and stunning visual effects. I watched this movie 5 times in 2 days before I had to return it and I rented it again.

• Feb 06, 2012

My kind of film, you won't like it.

My kind of film, you won't like it.

• Oct 31, 2011

the first half of death trance is basically a keep away/ capture the flag type game with a chest and it actually took me a while to get used to the style of the movie. Sometimes the action was pretty cool with over the top fake crazy fight scenes, but then sometimes it was really lame with terrible moves such one move one of the characters used quite frequently where he would land ten or so quick blows to the mid section of the enemies. The move was just terrible and made each scene look stupid, there was also at least twice where one guy would miss his punch clearly by at least a foot but his enemy would still fall back. Its hard to look passed these mistakes but luckily there are so many crazy characters and settings and an all around zaney style to everything that it does redeem itself to some extent. One thing i found weird was that i would find it hard to believe that the creators of this movie didnt purposely make the handle of the sword to look identical to a large throbbing vaney penis. I'm going to look up a little more about this movie because that had to have been on purpose, quite odd. but yeah by the end of the movie i actually found it to be quite unique and entertaining and i definatly dont regret watching it...

• Oct 31, 2011