Deep Rising - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Deep Rising Reviews

½ September 7, 2016
Much better than it looks. Total entertainment.
July 15, 2016
Really cheesy action film with a terribly bad CGI sea creature that doesn't look like he's in the same frame with the actors. Some good character actors keep this from being a total waste.
June 6, 2016
even tho it is a old movie I still enjoy it love classic monster movies
May 21, 2016
Monster eats everyone. Impressive CGI for the time, complete vore-fest.
March 18, 2016
The big bad of this film is the nastiest, scariest and most lethal single entity in movie history - without question. Bear in mind, *on its own* it wipes out the entire staff and passenger complement of a cruise ship and in the most gruesome way possible! In fact it's a PANT SHREDDINGLY scary concept for a monster, even more scary than the Xenomorph from Alien and with even more gore too. Yes there were limits to what Sommers could do with the concept but this film deserves to be remade as a proper horror.

But never mind the film it could've been. The reality is, Sommers' budget had been slashed, the casting suffered, the running time was constrained, they had only three months to film it, and they didn't have the SFX tech or budget then that the same film would have now. For a multitude of reasons the film had to be played for laughs somewhat. Perhaps it was less of a horror and more of a dumb action movie as a consequence... but that's what still makes it a worthwhile film to watch when mildly drunk and in the mood for an all-night comedy horror marathon. This film deserves a second viewing definitely in the context of the Syfy era - it's more high octane than Tremors, not quite as silly as Sharknado or Iron Sky, and we don't expect Shakespearean acting or massive character development in low budget monster movies anyway. And if people see similarities with it to The Mummy, remember The Mummy came after. So it has lots of elements that are borrowed from previous films and novels in the horror genre... so what? They all borrow from each other to some extent! John Carpenter's The Thing was applauded for its SFX and its monster concept, and we don't disparage that film just for being a remake.

Apart from reading about similar beasties in Lovecraft, have we seen another monster like this film's Octalus in any other film? I'd say no, and even some of the film's biggest critics admit it's a seriously scary beast - so that puts it in the same bracket as Alien and The Thing for having a genuinely original concept and/or plenty of vision and innovation required to design it, then bring it to life on the screen.

And that does make it a very ambitious, and original, movie project that is underrated.
December 28, 2015
loved this movie !
November 25, 2015
"Girl from Ipanema" :)
October 21, 2015
Predictable and an awful cast, With crap effects make this movie one of the worst movies i've ever seen!
October 3, 2015
9/3/3015: Janssen was the only highlight of this film. This is the type of cheesy b-movie found on the Syfy network.
August 28, 2015
Against my better judgement, I'm giving this 3.5 stars. We all have our guilty pleasures in life and this little fun B-movie happens to be one of mine.
June 21, 2015
I wish there were more monster flicks like this. It's one of my all-time favorites. It's interesting how the Rotten Tomatoes community does not like it overall, yet it has great reviews on Amazon. Explain that one. I don't want to make enemies here, so I won't continue, but seriously people, lighten up. This movie is a GREAT Creature Feature.
May 14, 2015
And hard falling too.
½ April 21, 2015
This film is cheesy, action packed, and not worthy of a 50 million dollar budget but dangit if I don't enjoy watching it!
Deep Rising combines a lot of standard scifi action tropes into on grand ol monster movie full of nods/homage to the likes of Die Hard and Alien all while on a boat on the ocean.
There are plenty of films that are way cheesier and more fun than Deep Rising but that's not going to stop me from watching it again.
March 30, 2015
A fantastic film that's definitely very underrated.
½ December 30, 2014
Pretty great little action horror. Pleasantly surprised. Was not expecting much. Great ending too. What's weird to me is why this one has pretty solid CGI, considering the time and budget, but Stephen Sommers gets bigger budgets and years of progress in the artform, yet craps out some of the worst CGI around...
½ November 26, 2014
A fun, dumb, scary adventure. It's predictable and cliche, with loud bangs and laughable dialogue. But if your just looking to pass time, it's worth your time. If your in to mediocre and generic stuff.
½ November 25, 2014
Average CGI but Treat Williams is great as the captain and Famke Jannsen is equally stunning as a pickpocket. I was entertained by this movie.
½ November 25, 2014
NOT A BAD FILM... predictable but still worth watching with a few familar faces from alot of big films shame there hasnt been a sequel to this as they leave the ending open to it!!
½ October 2, 2014
Looking for the pinnacle of the purely enjoyable entertainment every B-movie strives to have? Look no further: this is it. Flat, generic characters; a fairly predictable plot; an unreasonable amount of explosions all stay true to their nature in the best way possible to make this a sweet action film. Also Famke Jansen is unbelievably gorgeous and is possibly Anna Hathaway's inspiration in the Dark Knight Rises.