Déjà Vu - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Déjà Vu Reviews

½ October 20, 2016
From director Tony Scott comes the exciting sci-fi thriller Déjà Vu. The story follows an ATF agent who's recruited to join a special task force that investigates a terrorist bombing using an experimental technology that can view 4 days into the past. Denzel Washington and Jim Caviezel lead the cast and deliver some very good performances. And Tony Scott's directing brings a lot of energy and excitement to the film. The writing is also quite impressive, particularly in how it explores time travel and issues of causality. Plus, the investigation itself is engaging and takes a number of interesting turns. The plot can be a little confusing at times, but overall Déjà Vu is an incredibly entertaining and action-packed film.
½ October 5, 2016
It's an interesting story with good acting, but not a very good movie. I enjoy it, but it's ridiculously far fetched.
½ September 21, 2016
At times you can almost feel the embarrassment radiating from Denzel Washington at the ridiculosness of the plot. If you set that aside the movie is in fact quite an entertaining one that approaches the whole time travel premise from an intriguing point of view that at least gives the movie some legs. A pretty decent movie on the whole.
September 9, 2016
Intense and preposterous but somehow captivating and unique...kind of reminds me of that Deja Vu picture !
½ September 7, 2016
A thrilling time travel concept to explore, that is arguably ruined with awful 90s movie-science explanations.
August 11, 2016
Although it has some moments that felt a little too silly, but this movie was Fairly entertaining. With some smart elements, and other assets that made this movie worth watching
½ August 8, 2016
it's a awesome movie to watch...especially the graphics part was mindblowing
August 5, 2016
8/5/2016: A pretty good movie with a great cast. A sci fi thriller with some good action.
½ August 5, 2016
The sci-fi portion of the film didn't do it for me, the love bit was kind of forced and unnecessary, and the action wasn't memorable enough but taking that into account the film still doesn't fall into the "unwatchable" category and may serve as a good excuse to eat popcorn.
½ June 15, 2016
gets slightly ridiculous but still pretty cool
June 4, 2016
It barely gets fresh because of the sci-fi aspect, Denzel Washington, and the villain, but I won't spoil who the actor is. That actor gives a great performance, but unfortunately is underused, and not very well written. And the fact that it's a little over 2 hours, and it didn't feel like it. Yes, it did feel long, but not that long. I didn't like the romance aspect. It was cheesy and unoriginal. But, I guess it was semi believable because when working a murder case, you could become attached. Val Kilmer and the rest of his team were all underused, as well as Bruce Greenwood. But it's nice to see them! Director Tony Scott did a poor and messy job, but thanks to the good enough writing, and almost perfect performances, it's not bad. I think this would be a perfect one to catch on TV or for free streaming somewhere.
May 26, 2016
Requires an almost insurmountable suspension of disbelief.
May 11, 2016
Ya! Sucks. Ridiculous movie. Nobody could pull this movie off.
½ April 17, 2016
The background New Orleans scenery does it for me. These post Katrina films will be a part of OUR HISTORY! The reason (Just-an-opinion) I believe that is because the NEXT TIME New Orleans gets IT? They aren't going to REVIVE IT!!!
½ April 12, 2016
Like the title, the film has a lot of seen-it-before elements and the finale is really quite absurd but Denzel delivers everything he has in the role and the whole 2nd act is proper sci-fi, benefiting from genuine tension and very fun action.

B
½ March 10, 2016
Meh action/sci-fi/romance from the usually reliable director Tony Scott. Films directed by Scott are typical only as good as his scripts; "True Romance" or " Enemy of the State" being on the better end and "Beverly Hills Cop II" or "The Fan" being on the weaker end. This film falls on the weaker end, but like most of Scott's films, even the weaker one, it's still watchable and usually features a strong cast (Denzel Washington, Jim Caviezel, Val Kilmer, Adam Goldberg, Bruce Greenwood, and Matt Craven). The story here certainly had potential, involving a terrorist bombing investigation which ends up using time travel-like technology to unravel the mystery of the who was behind the bombing. I did like the idea of trying to come up with a plausible scientific explanation of time travel, but like a lot of time travel stories, this one ends up with some glaring plot holes. And I'm not sure I can lay blame completely on the script because the writers apparently blamed Scott for cutting out much of their script, instead focusing on action scenes and removing other section, which they said created the film's plot holes. Regardless of whoever is responsible for the weak story, the film is still watchable and reasonably enjoyable, particularly if you're a fan of Denzel, though this film could certainly have been better. Watch "Timecrimes," "Primer" or even "Looper" if you want a real mind bending time travel film.
March 7, 2016
good movie edge on your seat type movie
March 2, 2016
Excellent film. Highly underrated (but so are most of Tony Scott's works. Phenomenal combination of directorial style, strong performances, great musical score, great climax and most importantly, powerful themes of love, hope and faith. On a side note more relevant to the radical violence we've been seeing today in the US. Extremism can be based on any religion.
jjnxn
½ February 27, 2016
Preposterous premise but if you don't think about it too much this is a decent actioner.
February 14, 2016
Dà (C)jà Vu bends the laws of time as Denzel Washington tries to save the girl (Paula Patton) and stop a terrorist attack.