Dinner for Schmucks - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dinner for Schmucks Reviews

½ January 13, 2019
wasn't a fan of this the first time i watched it. after a good word from omar suleiman i gave it another shot and i'm glad i did. very funny. not always consistent or constant laughs but lots of great jokes and a bunch of loud laughter. pretty decent story too with some good heart. jemaine clement was phenomenal (2 viewings)
December 16, 2018
Enjoyed this strange humor.. Rarely do I stay engaged throughout an entire movie, and this one kept me sitting in front of the television the whole time... a bit different, but enjoyable.
November 22, 2018
A funny comedy which is a bit different.
November 17, 2018
FUN & FUNNY! Underrated film. Really enjoyable
November 8, 2018
This film was terrible.
October 30, 2018
"A dinner for idiots" is a good comedy that sometimes gets confused in its own proposal, because the long one of the well-known Jay Roach and stuffed of good actors sometimes takes to serious, sometimes abuses of the besteirol, sometimes it extends too much a scene dramatic or hilarious, this is very guilty of the script, which is weak, we do not have much to judge here, comedy, scenes of shame sand, lesson sugar water, all within the standards of American comedy. Technically, the film is good, well directed, with a cool track, use of scene composition and a slightly more neutral photograph, uncommon in comedy films, a great third act that compensates the weak first two, despite having it wonderful - Steve Carrel and Paul Rudd in the cast, the big highlight is for Zach Galifianakis who makes a simply wonderful character with a very funny performance, his character is the great high point of the film that despite many problematic, is funny.
October 21, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed this comedy. I can't believe I missed it when it came out. It is SO clever and hilarious!! A must see.
½ September 16, 2018
While this slapstick comedy suffers from a weak script and some bizarre goofiness, Paul Rudd and Steve Carell power through the mess to bring a few entertaining laughs.
½ September 5, 2018
Funny and entertaining film. Slapstick comedy and has an endearing quality to it.
August 8, 2018
I Found This Funny, In An Incredibly Stupid Way. The Combination Of Rudd & Carell Is A Match Made In Heaven, Maybe They'll Work Together Again, Cos It Definitely Works.
August 3, 2018
Everything about it is fairly offensive, but you can't deny that it is funny. (First viewing - 1/31/2011)
½ June 18, 2018
Funnier than I was expecting, but still not a very interesting movie. It has some funny moments, but not nearly to the level Jay Roach, Steve Carrell and Paul Rudd are used to providing. Zach Galifanakis and his dynamic with Steve Carrell was the highlight. There are elements of the movie that are unique, such as the whole "mouse-scape" hobby of the Carrell's character, but the premise is pretty dumb, no matter how much of the movie's talent tries to make it better.
May 10, 2018
love it so funny 5/5 stars
May 1, 2018
Great funny flick.Beats alot of crappy movies nowadays!
½ April 10, 2018
Almost enough to make me cancel HBO. Seriously bad, all over the place, not funny levels of stupidity. Not even the comic genius of Steve Carrell can save this mess. The weird mice tableaux in the beginning sucked me in and I'm embarrassed to say I didn't know when to quit.
April 7, 2018
I don't understand who are rating these movies, but every move that is rated low only tells me that the movie is really good, cause this movie as well was rated low and I seen different! It was a very great movie it had a lot of great laughs in it and it had a great story to a great meaning as well, so I rate this 5 stars for the classic comedy that we ne back
½ February 23, 2018
Oddly charming. Surprisingly, Carell is funny.
December 27, 2017
Another failed comedy during the post-Anchorman comedy movie decline era.
August 12, 2017
Why has this got such a low score everywhere I look?

Dinner for schmucks is a well structured, evenly paced comedy with great acting and emotion throughout. Paul Rudd plays his role very sympathetically and it can be genuinely hard to watch when we observe the horribly awkward situations that occur in the film. The premise of the film is well established and the movie doesn't rush whatsoever; it is a film which knows where it is going and the scene to scene transitions feel natural and well thought out.

It's also very very funny, with Zach Galifianakas' character being a key highlight. Steve Carrell also gives a great comedic performance as the quirky yet unique Barry.

There is also a fantastic original score that serves as an under layer to the entire film. Additionally the soundtrack is good, with an excellent use of the Beatles' fool on a hill.

Granted I have not seen the supposedly 'considerably better' original French film of which this is based, however I still feel this is a smart, emotionally coherent movie that deserves much more praise than it receives.
August 7, 2017
Stupid movie, but very funny.