Dinner for Schmucks - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dinner for Schmucks Reviews

½ November 4, 2016
Not as good and not as funny as it's french counterpart , the beat of the movie often feels off , sometimes too slow , sometimes too fast , however the movie did had its laugh out loud moments. Szostak was a revelation to me as it was the first time I was actually seeing her on screen and I loved her , Carol does his thing that we all love and rudd was also good in his role of the guy whos trying his best to be good . And that's the problem with the script , his character is supposed to be a jerk that did everything in his life for himself without caring about others, it's a character we love to hate and we love see his life fall apart by an idiot. Only to find himself at the end redeemed and better than he ever was. This sense of evolution is absent from the movie and makes It lacks in emotion

Over all it is not a bad movie , but not one I would put on my you must watch list .
October 29, 2016
Ignorant illuminati shit
½ October 3, 2016
I love Steve Carell and his movies. I love this movie. This is another one I get teased for liking so much. Again, that could just mean I relate too much to the schmucks.
August 19, 2016
There is a reason sketches on SNL are only a few minutes long as opposed to being feature length. This is why. It's a fine idea for a sketch, get a bunch of crazy out there characters and invite them to a fancy dinner party, but that is only the last 20 or so minutes of the movie. The rest is filled with forgettable filler and really, really lame "dumb guy" jokes. A character like Homer Simpson can pull it off, but here, he just seems too idiotic for it to work. Lesson learned kids, if you have a an idea for an average sketch, don't turn try and turn it into a feature film.
July 28, 2016
Considering Paul Rudd's Paul Crud performance, the cliché narrative and comedy scenarios as dead as the stuffed rodents in the story, this appears to be a movie that no one should give two schmucks about.
½ June 29, 2016
Dinner for Schmicks is somewhat entertaining. The movie has some comedy in it. The movie is good overall. However, the plot of the movie is brilliant. I would somewhat suggest this movie.
June 15, 2016
You either like it or hate it. I saw it at the theater and laughed so much I cried.
May 21, 2016
160521: I originally watched this film on a plane trying to escape...something. Enjoyed it, rated it 4 stars, and then bought it in January of 2013. It was during my comedy for survival phase, a phase I may be re-entering. Anyway, watched on a rainy Saturday afternoon while working around the house. Though it has its moments, it didn't quite have the same impact as the first time. It's a decent comedy but based upon a nasty human flaw that reveals itself over and over again. Even with all the laughs, the pain of that flaw upsets the scale too much currently. Perhaps another time?
April 22, 2016
Not that funny. There were only a few scenes that made me laugh. The lady that talks to animal spirits is pretty damned funny during the dinner at the end of the film. Other than that it is average.
April 11, 2016
"Dinner For Schmucks" has a funny premise and a overly silly script to satisfy the easy going audience members, and Carell and Rudds star power sertainly do their best to bring you the laughs, but even that isn't enough for the true regulars.
February 21, 2016
Only a couple of laughs in this below average comedy
February 2, 2016
Very funny movie. With good lead characters. Story with a heart.
½ January 19, 2016
Much worse a second time. I understand that's its supposed to be annoying on some level, but they forgot to make it "good" annoying.
January 18, 2016
I remember chuckling after first learning the premise of this movie. Such a zany set-up could result in an all-time classic comedy, I thought -- a great idea with a stellar cast, all under the command of a capable director. What could possibly derail this movie's potential? As it turns out, the answer to the question was a script that wasn't nearly as ambitious and clever as its synopsis led this reader to believe. There are big laughs for sure, but they occur much too infrequent. I think where the writers erred was making the actual dinner referenced in the title such a small part of the movie. I would have preferred a more high-brow concept, more akin to a movie with a similar story, such as "The Party," starring Peter Sellers. Early on, the dinner is mentioned and we are informed about the cruel intentions of the event's host. What follows is sporadic talk about the dinner itself, while Rudd's character grows increasingly annoyed with Carell's character, who he cannot shake and who makes his life increasingly complicated. Rudd and Carell work well together. Audiences knew that going in, based on their previous co-starring projects. They do as much as they can with the script they were given, and the audience is rewarded with some genuinely hilarious bits. The dinner sequence itself was worth waiting for, especially once Carell and Galifianakis are allowed to square off in a memorable scene. The movie could have used more of that and perhaps it would have attained the loftiest heights, as I had initially considered. The makers did get the more serious elements right -- Rudd's character discovers his sense of decency and Carell's eccentric character earns a friend -- but I only wish the overall focus and tone had been adjusted slightly. In spite of any disappointment, I still can recommend the film... just don't expect to place it among your favorite comedies.
December 16, 2015
I'm gonna stop rating movies that i bought giving half a star more or so ...just because i did buy it ! This movie could be better if Carell did not talk so much , and stupid remarks ....I really did get nervous in Paul Rudd's place ! Zach & Carell at the table near the end was stupid ! Surprise of the movie Stephanie Szostak aka Julie ....mmm lovely girl !
½ October 29, 2015
Steve Carrell plays the 'idiot' character very well to Paul Rudd's straight man; Good cast with humor found from multiple characters (Zach Galifianakis, Jeff Dunham); Movie runs way too long for the dinner scene- the headline of the movie; Scenes run too long as characters bumble their way that leads into a big crockpot of events that are easily misconstrued and could be avoided; Jay Roach offers fine direction but the joke wears thin. 2.8/5
½ October 16, 2015
A great cast elevate this above the material (it's totally different to the French original). It starts off great, goes downhill when Darla and Thurman come into it, picks up again at the dinner itself, goes downhill again, and then rescues itself at the end, so it's a bit hit and miss, but the four main characters (Tim, Barry, Julie and Kieran) are all worth watching. And who would have known that 5 years later, Steve Carell would be an Oscar nominee and Paul Rudd a superhero?!
September 21, 2015
A really smart and hilarious comedy! A-
August 22, 2015
Though fairly thinly scripted, Dinner For Schmucks benefits from good chemistry between Rudd and Carrell and strong commentary on seeing the worth of the less popular, but unique individuals in this world.
½ August 9, 2015
Really, stupid, strange, awesome, rocking, funny, funny, funny, movie. I loved Steve Carrel and Paul Rudd in their strange but almost heroic adventure together