Dinner for Schmucks - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dinner for Schmucks Reviews

½ April 10, 2018
Almost enough to make me cancel HBO. Seriously bad, all over the place, not funny levels of stupidity. Not even the comic genius of Steve Carrell can save this mess. The weird mice tableaux in the beginning sucked me in and I'm embarrassed to say I didn't know when to quit.
April 7, 2018
I don't understand who are rating these movies, but every move that is rated low only tells me that the movie is really good, cause this movie as well was rated low and I seen different! It was a very great movie it had a lot of great laughs in it and it had a great story to a great meaning as well, so I rate this 5 stars for the classic comedy that we ne back
½ February 23, 2018
Oddly charming. Surprisingly, Carell is funny.
December 27, 2017
Another failed comedy during the post-Anchorman comedy movie decline era.
August 12, 2017
Why has this got such a low score everywhere I look?

Dinner for schmucks is a well structured, evenly paced comedy with great acting and emotion throughout. Paul Rudd plays his role very sympathetically and it can be genuinely hard to watch when we observe the horribly awkward situations that occur in the film. The premise of the film is well established and the movie doesn't rush whatsoever; it is a film which knows where it is going and the scene to scene transitions feel natural and well thought out.

It's also very very funny, with Zach Galifianakas' character being a key highlight. Steve Carrell also gives a great comedic performance as the quirky yet unique Barry.

There is also a fantastic original score that serves as an under layer to the entire film. Additionally the soundtrack is good, with an excellent use of the Beatles' fool on a hill.

Granted I have not seen the supposedly 'considerably better' original French film of which this is based, however I still feel this is a smart, emotionally coherent movie that deserves much more praise than it receives.
August 7, 2017
Stupid movie, but very funny.
½ July 21, 2017
I'm surprised at the terrible ratings this movie has received. It's one of my favorites! It's so light-hearted and fun...Steve Carrell is hysterical...his timing with the equally hilarious Paul Rudd is perfect! I just crack up every time I watch it!
½ June 14, 2017
I'll watch almost anything with Steve Carell.
April 7, 2017
There is a few laughs to be had in Dinner for Schmucks but it mostly disappoints from its premise to its two lead actors.
December 31, 2016
It's good movie to watch
½ November 4, 2016
Not as good and not as funny as it's french counterpart , the beat of the movie often feels off , sometimes too slow , sometimes too fast , however the movie did had its laugh out loud moments. Szostak was a revelation to me as it was the first time I was actually seeing her on screen and I loved her , Carol does his thing that we all love and rudd was also good in his role of the guy whos trying his best to be good . And that's the problem with the script , his character is supposed to be a jerk that did everything in his life for himself without caring about others, it's a character we love to hate and we love see his life fall apart by an idiot. Only to find himself at the end redeemed and better than he ever was. This sense of evolution is absent from the movie and makes It lacks in emotion

Over all it is not a bad movie , but not one I would put on my you must watch list .
October 29, 2016
Ignorant illuminati shit
½ October 3, 2016
I love Steve Carell and his movies. I love this movie. This is another one I get teased for liking so much. Again, that could just mean I relate too much to the schmucks.
August 19, 2016
There is a reason sketches on SNL are only a few minutes long as opposed to being feature length. This is why. It's a fine idea for a sketch, get a bunch of crazy out there characters and invite them to a fancy dinner party, but that is only the last 20 or so minutes of the movie. The rest is filled with forgettable filler and really, really lame "dumb guy" jokes. A character like Homer Simpson can pull it off, but here, he just seems too idiotic for it to work. Lesson learned kids, if you have a an idea for an average sketch, don't turn try and turn it into a feature film.
July 28, 2016
Considering Paul Rudd's Paul Crud performance, the cliché narrative and comedy scenarios as dead as the stuffed rodents in the story, this appears to be a movie that no one should give two schmucks about.
½ June 29, 2016
Dinner for Schmicks is somewhat entertaining. The movie has some comedy in it. The movie is good overall. However, the plot of the movie is brilliant. I would somewhat suggest this movie.
June 15, 2016
You either like it or hate it. I saw it at the theater and laughed so much I cried.
May 21, 2016
160521: I originally watched this film on a plane trying to escape...something. Enjoyed it, rated it 4 stars, and then bought it in January of 2013. It was during my comedy for survival phase, a phase I may be re-entering. Anyway, watched on a rainy Saturday afternoon while working around the house. Though it has its moments, it didn't quite have the same impact as the first time. It's a decent comedy but based upon a nasty human flaw that reveals itself over and over again. Even with all the laughs, the pain of that flaw upsets the scale too much currently. Perhaps another time?
April 22, 2016
Not that funny. There were only a few scenes that made me laugh. The lady that talks to animal spirits is pretty damned funny during the dinner at the end of the film. Other than that it is average.
April 11, 2016
"Dinner For Schmucks" has a funny premise and a overly silly script to satisfy the easy going audience members, and Carell and Rudds star power sertainly do their best to bring you the laughs, but even that isn't enough for the true regulars.