Dinner for Schmucks - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dinner for Schmucks Reviews

August 1, 2010
20/12/2012 (DVD)
July 31, 2010
"Dinner For Schmucks" gives the feeling of an average over-the-top comedy, but it's the exact opposite when following through on this film. Steve Carell plays a very odd character who is always there to make a sad moment funny. While Paul Rudd is being invaded with problem after problem, the movie unravels it's soft heart, before jumping back into it's hilarious comedic style. The jokes fly minute by minute and the characters grow in every scene; However, the film takes too much time to get to the point, and I actually almost forgot about the dinner altogether by the end. Dinner for Schmucks has laughter, heart, and packs a pretty big punch in the acting category, but falls flat on originality. "Dinner for Schmucks" is a pretty funny comedy, but that's it!
August 6, 2010
Huge misfire!!! bad result in my eyes as this film really is terribly disappointing. There is hardly any funny stuff anywhere! unless you count Carell screaming like an infant at times to be funny?. Apart from a few nice lines here and there and one dinner scene with Carell, Rudd and 'Little Britain's' David Williams which is quite amusing but not hilarious that's it really. The plot is pretty thin, the characters are just dull, you just don't really care about any of them, the ending is dumb and childish and Carell's character is actually rather annoying.

Another poor film from Carell who really should stick to TV, I wanted to like this I really did, had high hopes for the 'Dumb n Dumber' type script but alas it falls well short and like the recent 'Grown Ups' is a total wasted opportunity.
February 1, 2012
Despite being other buddy comedy where one is dumb and the another is a victim and doesn't looks better that the original picture, Dinner for Schmucks it's an agonizing and funny dark comedy, with a charming and very likable cast.
½ March 24, 2012
I did not see this film being the comedy of the year, fortunately the funny parts of this film come nice and swiftly not to mention some of the bumps on the road to the dinner, but it leaves you with a question, with so much talent why is steve carrell put into films that dont exceed his talent?
November 22, 2011
"Dinner for Schmucks" takes a crap all over your idea of absurd and brings it to a whole 'nother level. It's ruthless, frustrating, and not very funny. Paul Rudd and Steve Carrell back in a movie together? Sounds great. But what the movie delivers is an average script that never goes beyond usual chuckles. The characters? Way, way, way too over-the-top that questions audiences whether the characters are mentally-ill or mentally challenged. Way too much slapstick that would only entertain those 11 years old and younger. In the end, the movie is tightly wound together to bring a cohesive movie but not a very cohesive comedy. I'm not gonna lie; there were some hilarious lines here and there, but not enough to completely ground "Dinner for Schmucks" as a comedy.
½ May 23, 2010
I think this is rating so highly with me because I just loved all the little stuffed mice dressed up and put in poses! (What can I say, I am a little twisted!).
This wasn't bad, for a movie I never set out to watch, I was pleasantly surprised by it. Yes, it's a bit silly, but it has a good cast and just for something easy to watch with a few laughs, I couldn't fault it.
Steve Carell definitely works better in this kind of comedy than trying to pull of romantics leads (i.e. Dan in Real Life) while Paul Rudd is funny, but straight faced enough through this to offset Steve's over the top dork (who is still kind of likeable and sympathetic). Also good was Lucy Punch as Darla and Stephanie Szostak as Julie.
Zach Galifanakis and Jemaine Clement were both total put offs, but as that was their characters, I would say it was a good thing!
3niR
October 20, 2010
Steve Carrell's character was a bit too much I guess. I mean seriously? You'll jump in front of a car for a dead mouse?
I did laughed few times but I expected more from him. He's one of my fave comedy actor.
July 28, 2010
This movie is a lot of fun, and it's interesting to see a film peopled with characters that are both cartoonish but grounded with a great deal of humanity. Barry isn't simply a one-dimensional, obnoxious doofus; He actually really cares about his friends and feels pain very acutely when he's rejected. The villains in this movie are bad people the way real people are bad: they glory in making fun of others and tearing them down, and are persistently petty, snide and negative. Tim's desire to be part of thier world is what made him a bad person originally, and his character arch is actually a real pleasure to watch. It's refreshing in this movie, which is at times really mean-spirited. There are also times where the farcical narrative trips over its own zany chaos and devolves into a huge mess, but it's the characters that keep it together and keep you watching. This movie is fun, but I wouldn't put it with my classic comedies.
½ July 28, 2010
Quite disappointing. Once the first fifteen minutes fill you in as to what's going on you can figure out where Dinner for Schmucks is going to land. It's got plenty of the awkward humor that Steve Carell patented on The Office and I actually caught myself laughing gout loud at at a few points but between the predictability and the anticlimactic supporting roles from Jermaine Clement, Zach Galifianakis, Jeff Dunham and the like, I could barely bring myself to finish it.
January 21, 2011
Had so much potential, but director Jay Roach made it a slow moving comedy. It has it's moments, but overall fails as a movie. Steve Carell and Paul Rudd are a good bromance though. I honestly had high expectations for this one, and was disappointed up until the last 35 minutes. The title of this movie shouldn't be called Dinner for Schmucks, it should be called "Guy Who Runs in Front of a Car to Save a Mouse." The only reason I'm giving this movie three stars, is because of the dinner. It was hilarious, and contains so many memorable quotes. For example:

Barry: I know that you take a magic marker and draw a little face on your penis.
Therman: Is that against the law? I don't think so.
Barry: And you put a little hat on it. And you call it Sammy.
Therman: Nobody is supposed to know that!
Barry: And you sing to it... (sings)

Dinner for Schmucks is responsible for Little Fockers being so bad. If Jay Roach (Austin Powers, Bruno, Meet The Parents/ Fockers) wasn't so busy working on Schmucks, then he would be directing Fockers. It's a Jay Roach directed comedy, so you can't expect the acting to be amazing. Paul Rudd plays the exact same person he is in every role and Steve Carell is downright hilarious. The movie also stars Larry Wilmore (The Office), Jemaine Clement (Flight of the Concords), Zach Galifianakis (Due Date), Stephanie Szostak, Bruce Greenwood, and Ron Livingston. There are also many cameos from comedians at the dinner scene. Honestly, the only reason I'm even mentioning the music, is because it was so bad. For example, when two people are having a heart-heart conversation, they put the most inappropriate music on! I don't know what they were thinking... Character development is something that was left out. Unfortunate, for you Mr. Roach. You aren't supposed to wait till the end to find out what's actually wrong with the character. The first 45 minutes are so painful to watch you might want to sleep through it. When the dinner scene starts, your glad you rented it. It's definitely worth a one time watch!
April 29, 2010
A mostly unfunny remake that has it's moments; but seems to go on forever. Paul Rudd and Steve Carell are two of the most reliable comedic actors around, and they do what they can with the material at hand. Worth a chuckle or two, but not much else.
DreamExtractor
½ February 25, 2011
Funny and smart, Carell rocks. The plot may be absoloutely pointless, but you tell me many comedies that have a real plot now a days. The acting was great, really brings out the great duo that is Carell and Rudd. I laughed so hard at this movie you would not believe, so youll be happy with the humor. Now what is wrong with the movie is that the greatest scenes are saved for the dinner, which I wished the best scenes were throughout the movie. Also nere the end there are so many freaks and crazy people in real life Carrell character would never have won against those freaks, but yet he does. Now the show stealer here is Carrell, but it may have been taken by Zach Galifinakas, because i laughed most when he was on screen. I recommend this movie, and I thought it was funny.
June 4, 2011
I have to admit, I laughed more than I thought I would. Carell, Clement, and Galifinakis have some great moments and the dinner itself is hilarious. It's just a shame the rest of the plot is played out.
FiLmCrAzY
October 11, 2009
I guiltily enjoy this movie.
Its a stupid and very simple movie, but i also find it extremely funny and amusing.
I thought Steve Carrell was a fantasitc weirdo simpleton and he was very funny!
I really liked the cast as well, as i love bruce greenwood.
I thought it was amusing throughout, and although Zach Galifianakis is cringy he is extremely and weirdly amusing,
I think if your want a simple amusing movie, that will just lighten the mood and make you happy then this is a movie to watch!
½ March 24, 2011
Having no real story hurts this movie, but it is extremely funny. Steve Carrell and Paul Rudd are a good pair and make this movie one of the funniest of the year.
puffchunk
May 9, 2011
Another train wreck movie, but Zach Galifanakis and Jemaine Clement made it worth watching. The main characters were okay, but pretty run of the mill comedy. The mice art was the best part.
LWOODS04
April 8, 2010
Cast: Steve Carell, Paul Rudd, Zach Galifianakis, Jemaine Clement, Stephanie Szostak, Lucy Punch, Bruce Greenwood, David Walliams, Ron Livingston

Director: Jay Roach

Summary: Tim Conrad's (Paul Rudd) boss hosts a dinner party where he invites his friends to bring along the saddest, most pathetic loser they can find. But when the ultimate schmuck (Steve Carell) arrives, his actions somehow turn everyone else into the losers. An adaptation of the French comedy The Dinner Game.

My Thoughts: "A nice little comedy with a good message. I adore Paul Rudd and I think he is really funny, and there is no denying that Steve Carell is a funny man as well. Not as funny as I had thought it would be, but definitely made me smile and laugh out loud a few times. The relationship between Barry and Tim ends up being pretty sweet. Worth the rental."
Nate Z.
March 29, 2011
Oh man was this thing just painfully unfunny on all levels. It's an American remake of a fairly funny French film and it stars Steve Carrell and Paul Rudd, two actors that have to work really hard not to be funny. Well they found a way. Talk about a bunch of schmucks. Every single character is a world-class idiot that behaves in a manner that 1) isn't remotely relatable and 2) isn't funny. It's all yelling and raised eyebrows and exclamation points in place of setups and payoffs. Even worse, it tries to force a horrendously false saccharine feel-good message, a comedic "believe in yourself" sort of moralizing that says, "They aren't the freaks, we are." No, you all are freaks. The film confuses situations that are weird, uncomfortable, and just plain unlikely with comedy, which doesn't work without some careful context and setup. Watching this nonstop leaden buffoonery makes you hang your head and sigh. This makes Three's Company look like enlightened comedy. The movie also features Jeff Dunham doing his wacky puppets. This cinematic stick in the eye comes across as an obnoxiously unyielding comedy that doesn't know when to stop, how to start, or what to do in between.

Nate's Grade: C-
middleeasternfilms
March 20, 2011
Good acting and humor, but the film just kinda dragged and wasn't as funny as I thought it would be. Not a wash or anything, the movie is definitely worth watching but funnier films have been released recently. Steve Carrell is classic in this one.