Dirty Pretty Things - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dirty Pretty Things Reviews

February 21, 2017
Grade - B+
One of screenwriter Steven Knight's first movies, 'Dirty Pretty Things' is as you'd expect well written, as well as well acted and directed. It suffers from some pacing issues and it's often predictable but nonetheless it's a well crafted, grounded experience.
½ January 5, 2017
Wonderful film about hardship and mistreatment of illegal immigrant.
½ August 11, 2016
*tries to climb through a window and escape so I don't have to do this review.* Ugh. It's hard giving a movie a bad review. Especially when said movie contains a gallery of individuals that you unconditionally respect. Stephen Frears, Steven Knight, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Audrey Tautou - all are filmmakers, artists, and performers that I have incredible admiration for. But, the simple fact remains; I just couldn't get into "Dirty Pretty Things." It might've been the disjointed pacing, the generally ugly atmosphere and tone, the occasional stilted performance (Sorry, Audrey), or maybe a combination of all three. But it still just felt like there was some critical, interesting element missing from this film. Maybe it's just because I'm not British.
May 16, 2016
The cast was very good, at least the director and the two main actors, so the premises could be good. Without being gruesome it manages to be intriguing and keeping the attention high for all the lasting of the movie. Very good thriller.
½ May 9, 2016
"Dirty Pretty Things" is a well-acted film with a very odd plot. This bizarre story of love, illegal immigrants, and organ harvesting will keep you curious from start to finish. You really never know what might happen next in this one. The driving force behind this entire plot is Chiwetel Ejiofor in the lead role. This is the performance that brought him into the spotlight and he has continued to grow since this performance at the age of 25. He is complimented by Audrey Tautou, fresh off of her success in the critically-acclaimed "Amélie." Their meager love story is completely unmemorable, but I believe this to be the director's intention in order to keep the film's focus on the exploitation of immigrants. The entire film has a deliberately disjointed feel through its odd musical score, rapid cuts from shot to shot, and frequent moments without dialogue. The end effect is an edginess that makes the entire film feel slightly uncomfortable. The disjointedness results in a film that isn't really that "fun" to watch but it leaves an impression. "Dirty Pretty Things" is a unique film that delivers a disturbing story with an unexpectedly satisfying resolution.
½ January 9, 2016
I really enjoyed the diverse cast & general feeling of realism in this. I feel like this film represents London amazingly well. The artistic color hues and hotel setting remind one of "The Shining." Senor Juan is a masterfully-scripted and memorable villain: he is sleazy and unfeeling but practical and useful to illegal immigrants (for a price, but still- he's good at what he does). I liked the main characters, but Audrey Tautou is so beautiful her scenes can be hard to watch.
½ January 5, 2016
Very solid thriller, but on a small scale, and featuring characters working in drab unremarkable jobs, forced to do less than desirable things to get by, that have had to work hard their whole lives and are now forced to use their smarts/resources when a crisis strikes, one of Ejiofor's earlier roles and he shows here why he's a great leading man, Lopez is great as the smarmy villain, and even the Russian guy provides the film's few laughs, it's another hit from director Stephen Frears, def recommend
November 8, 2015
I watched this movie hesitantly, based on the simple description under info on the TV - I am so glad I did. Excellent movie! It made me feel so many emotions, all during 1 hr and 40 mins. It was very depressing to see how illegal immigrants struggle and the horrors they must sometimes be exposed to. I especially loved what Okwe says to the pick up doctor in the garage near the end, that they are the "people they do not see". It made the whole thing so clear to me. Would recommend to anyone.
October 11, 2015
Compelling, intense, dark, sad, with some light hearted amusing moments though kind of cheesy overall too but worth watching.
September 7, 2015
The title makes no sense, but the movie is decent. Ejiofor and Tautou are convincing in their roles, and the story shows you just how tough it is to be an immigrant in England as make it in the country. You feel their plight and see some justice get served in the end. Worth watching.
½ August 24, 2015
The dark secret behind a West London hotel... At the same time illustrating the life of illegal immigrants in the UK.
May 31, 2015
Interesting story of an African fugitive and a Turkish temporary immigrant in darker side of London trying to escape to their own desired destination respectively.
½ March 16, 2015
The film takes its sweet time to get your attention, but when it does - it is a thrilling suburban tale filled with great performances and searing imagery.
March 2, 2015
Depicts some difficult situations immigrants can face.
February 23, 2015
Una buena dirección de Stephen Frears, para un argumento social y algo sórdido.
½ November 14, 2014
Given the hard hitting subject matter broached in this picture it is very hard to reconcile its almost comedic tone and support characters. Nowhere near either leads best work
½ September 26, 2014
Awesome movie. The extent people will go when in need.. really good acting!!
½ July 16, 2014
a original story and great performances.