Donovan's Reef Reviews

• Jun 06, 2020

Lee Marvin and John Wayne bring the laughs with their antics. The story has it's serious parts, but all in all, it's light-hearted.

• Oct 13, 2019

Unfortunately, I don't think this movie is one of John Fords best. Even though this is a comedy, I was expecting the plot line to be well constructed like John Fords other movies. There were a few scenes that seemed out of place and unnecessary to me. I was disappointed that Lee Marvin didn't have a very significant role in the movie. I did like the simplistic steel guitar sound track for the movie which helped support the humorous tone to this exceptional comedy movie.

• Mar 26, 2019

I have read many critic and audience reviews of Donovan's Reef and as is usually true when I read reviews, I can see all the negatives that peole point out. It's not the best John Wayne/John Ford Picture, the script is not that great, there is male/female behavior which is no longer considered acceptable, John Wayne is too old for the part; the list could go on. But I love this picture. I have watched it countless time. If it comes on TCM i watch it again no matter where I come in. I thought Elizabeth Allen is wonderful, a strong character able to go toe to toe with Wayne, but all the actors were good as well. It's another of Fork's anti prejudice films like the Searchers and equally effective. The music is wonderful and as someone once said, all John Ford pictures are musicals;. and the cinematography is beautiful, and I feel you can't be a truly great director without great cinematography. The first time I realized movies were an art form in addition to simple entertainment was when I saw the cinematography in The Quiet Man in the 1957. re-release. It helps if you are shooting in a beautiful location like Ireland or Kauai. So Donovan's Reef is on my personal list of best movies, ones I can watch over and over and enjoy a smile, a laugh, a tear and a lump in the throat as well.. .

• Feb 24, 2019

By far one of my favorite movies, Wayne and Marvin play off each other so well, and the humor combined with some emotional moments make this movie a must.

• Mar 14, 2018

The combination of John Wayne and John Ford still works, though to a lesser degree. The beautiful locations help lift the boring moments. Wayne seems like he's still having fun, and so does the audience.

• May 12, 2016

Donovan's Reef is an excellent film. It is about dealing with moral issues such as racial bigotry, corporate greed, American belief of societal superiority and hypocrisy. John Wayne and Lee Marvin give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. John Ford did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the adventure and humor. Donovan's Reef is a must see.

• Dec 14, 2015

My favorite movie with John Wayne

My favorite movie with John Wayne

• Jan 19, 2015

DR is my favorite movie...bar none! This movie brings you back to a time when Hollywood wasn't afraid to make movies about real, testosterone fueled, party hard and play hard men!!!!

• Dec 12, 2014

classic Duke non-western... classic Lee Marvin tough guy schtick... hokey lines... cartoon character humor... But ya gotta love it.

• Nov 11, 2014

A very entertaining film that doesn't take life too seriously... Paradise Lost--Ford and Wayne's last Hurrah! with Marvin... Sunny, Breezy, Flipping Delightful, Brawling Comedy!!