Reviews

• Aug 16, 2021

Movie Rating: 8/10

Movie Rating: 8/10

• Jun 07, 2021

I was unlucky enough to take an Oliver Stone class in college. Like all the other kids, I thought it'd be easy, not realizing these classes are platforms for insecure men to profess the ideas of other insecure men until they die. They find one glory hole and they ram at it full force while they wave their tenure around, "This all means something very important-like!", with the big lure being a call from the director himself at the end of class to verify their egos like little blue check marks on Twatter. After years of watching EPK's, hearing directors talk is not exciting or worthwhile, and studios pay people like me to cut them down to 5 second clips of them sounding very exciting and worthwhile. Alas, I didn't know this in college, and I wound up doing really badly with Stone because I didn't realize I hated his movies until the class. Anyway, Val Kilmer is so excellent in this, we can't hold it against him for working with Oliver Stone.

• Apr 10, 2021

Val is amazing as Jim Morrison.

Val is amazing as Jim Morrison.

• Mar 07, 2021

The success of The Doors depends on one's enjoyment of their music. As a fan of the band and '60s counterculture, Stone's rock biopic strikes all the right chords. The melodies and lyrics represent the feelings, emotions, and desires of the decade. The director understands this and seeks to create the same feeling within the film. Kilmer plays Morrison with a similar Method edge as Marlon Brando (Apocalypse Now) and delivers an Oscar-worthy performance. Kilmer is fascinating, captivating, and mysterious, perhaps the reason why Morrison was idolised by so many fans. Stone truly captures the essence of the band's live performance and shares it with us; people who may have never had the chance to experience it first hand.

• Mar 03, 2021

In The Doors, Oliver Stone does a good job, despite an abundance of the typical Oliver Stone excesses, of capturing the feel of the times and the mayhem that Jim Morrison immersed himself in. Val Kilmer is fantastic as Morrison as he captures not only the physical appearance but also the subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) mannerisms of the subject. The problem with the film is the fact that, instead of dealing with the creation of some great music and how those around Morrison dealt with his substantial shortcomings, the focus is constantly on Morrison, a pretentious narcissist who constantly pontificates in cryptic riddles and absurd poetry. It is a difficult task and somewhat exhausting to spend over two hours watching a protagonist with no obvious redeeming values spin out of control.

• Nov 10, 2020

One of my favorites.

One of my favorites.

• Nov 08, 2020

I don't think anyone but Val Kilmer at that moment in time would have been capable to capture the spirit of the Lizard King as Kilmer did in this film.
Oliver Stone hits all the milestones of the short lived group including their controversial Ed Sullivan appearance and the infamous concert in Miami.
Part biopic and part head trip.
Enticingly entertaining with some great cameos throughout the film.
Val Kilmer's best work.

Part biopic and part head trip.
Enticingly entertaining with some great cameos throughout the film.
Val Kilmer's best work.

• Oct 25, 2020

A blah biopic on the great Jim Morrison.

A blah biopic on the great Jim Morrison.

• Jul 02, 2020

Good music. Messed up movie. No clear narrative direction. Seems like it's just made up of snippets from his life. Well, it IS an Oliver Stone movie! It's not NOT entertaining, but it could be so much more captivating.

• Apr 07, 2020

Not knowing much of the story, I have learned quite a bit with this. Glad he didn't die of an overdose. He comes out as quite an irresponsible guy, drunk and high most of the time. The other band members are the ones that made Jim pallatable. Long film and the tomatometer says the film missed the circus around him? Could there be enough material for a miniserie?