Dragnet Reviews

• Dec 08, 2020

The dialogue and acting is so absurd I couldn't stop laughing. ACAB, but sometime's they're so un-self-aware they're hilarious.

• Oct 22, 2015

This movie was based on the 1950's version of Dragnet. This was the heyday of Black and White TV. The only way to do a color version of Dragnet was to show it in movie theaters. The 1950's version of Dragnet had a more pessimistic view of Los Angeles. The 1960's color TV version was more upbeat and tried to show LA as modern American city with a professional modern police force. The buildings and furniture were new. The 1950's version showed LA as a grimy depression era city. The buildings and furniture was old pre-war vintage. Most of the stories came from the 1930's and 1940's. The LAPD had gotten very corrupt during the depression and World War II. Cops weren't paid well during the depression and during the war the young guys were off fighting the war. Police departments all over the country were plagued with corruption that started with the prohibition era. Starting 1950 the LAPD started to clean house and used the Dragnet TV show to improve their reputation. The 1954 movie told the story of a gangland murder. The movie showed how the LAPD was fighting organized crime in the 1950's. The movie kind of looked like the 1960's TV show with all the bright colors but the clothes and cars were old style. The men all wore hats and the cars were pre 1954 models. The woman all had long dresses. Since the movie was based on a true story the ending had the killers dying before they could be tried. The ring leader died of cancer in a run down old hospital.

• Aug 04, 2012

Such a great and classic television show brought to the big screen.

Such a great and classic television show brought to the big screen.

• Jun 28, 2012

Like the actual police work it strives to portray, this film is interesting but not particularly rewarding.

• Aug 10, 2011

If you like the Dragnet series, you will like this movie

If you like the Dragnet series, you will like this movie

• Jun 14, 2011

This movie will leave you thinking, "Who was the murderer?" until the very end.

This movie will leave you thinking, "Who was the murderer?" until the very end.

• Dec 08, 2010

Pete Kelly’s Blues and Dragnet – Both films written by Richard Breen, and directed by Jack Webb, who also stars. [I]Pete Kelly’s Blues[/I] is about a band trying to be bought out by a producer so he can take their money, and [I]Dragnet[/I] is about a cop just trying to solve a basic case. [I]Pete Kelly’s Blues[/i] works much better as film, and is really pretty good, and while [I]Dragnet[/i] was fun, it just doesn’t work as a film, which makes sense since it started as a show, and ended as a show. Still fun though. [I]Pete Kelly’s Blues[/i]: A- [i]Dragnet[/i]: B Hard Times – [I]Hard Times[/i] stars Charles Bronson, who looks like he’s drunk throughout the entire film, and James Coburn. Bronson is a street fighter, and Coburn is pretty much his manager, and sets him up fights and what. That’s pretty much it, and the film follows the two as they win more and more fights. It’s a really awesome film and has some great fight scenes in it. Check it out if you can get your hands on it. A Say Anything – I’ve been catching up on my 80s films, so I finally watched this, and it was really great. Definitely the best teen romance I’ve seen. It was just so good! That’s it. A

• Dec 08, 2010

This film is so true to the atmosphere of the 1950's that you could show it in a history class, but it's lot of fun. Jack Webb is fantastically straight as Joe Friday; he never had better role. He speaks every word with a cement-like conviction; he's always got snappy answer for every sarcastic criminal. Everyone in the movie is great, but the standouts are Virginia Gregg as the murdered man's alcoholic and handicapped wife, Stacy Harris as Max Troy, insincere head of the crime syndicate, and Richard Boone as the police captain, who says to his men with angry authority "all right, bumper to bumper tail; get up with em in the morning and put em to bed at night".

• Dec 08, 2010

Very similar to the television series, it has the same format. This is a little more bitter though than the series. Good cast, it has the expected corny dialogue and Jack Webb's very dry acting style. A must for fans of the series.

• Jan 01, 2010