Duplex - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Duplex Reviews

December 2, 2016
Funny movie. Not to many laugh out loud parts. But good story good flow. Wouldn't mind a second movie. But not a must see film. Has it's issues. Story however does flow well. Good acting by older women.
June 13, 2016
Ben Stiller and Drew Barrymore star in the Danny DeVito black comedy Duplex. When the "sweet" old lady in their duplex turns out to be anything but, the new owners find themselves being driven to murder. The plot is pretty formulaic and includes a lot of the standard annoying neighbor tropes; playing the TV too loud, unruly pets, etc. And the characters aren't really all that sympathetic. But, Stiller does a good job with the physical comedy and there are some rather fun skits. Yet while it's entertaining at times, Duplex doesn't get the tone right and ends up being rather ugly and mean spirited.
½ May 27, 2016
I found it pretty funny actually.
½ May 18, 2016
I don't know why I continue to watch this. Third time and it just gets more and more frustrating.
Fourth time: realized it isn't bad, really, just not enjoyable.
½ January 27, 2016
Annoying neighbor behavior leading to dark comedy is a common trait for Danny DeVito, which Duplex shares with one of his older films Throw Momma Off the Train. Duplex is a fun, quirky, but dark comedy that depends on DeVito's proper storytelling.
A couple moves into the bottom floor of a duplex owned by an elderly Irish lady. She seems kind but the couple soon become more and more tired of her annoying behavior and constant chores to do for her to the point where they plan to kill her, yet thwarted each time.
Duplex is a pretty simple comedy that reminds me of a classic style of comedy filmmaking. DeVito has hits and misses - most find this to be a miss but I really enjoyed Duplex. Even though it borrows heavily from another film with DeVito, the storytelling is rich with intrigue and never is really boring, although it does have a dark atmosphere that grows darker and moodier as the film goes on. Duplex's only issue is that it is quickly forgettable, albeit its (sort of) all star cast and its intriguing plot that only lasts intriguing until the end. Duplex is fun, but don't expect it to be a groundbreaking comedy: it's more of a rainy day comedy that entertains you and kills time.
½ January 8, 2016
It starts with the same idea as "Tatie Danielle", but the french film succeeds where this one fails. The few genuine laughs it takes out of you can't make it up to all the disgusting "humor" that makes you cringe and look away. Maybe DeVito regretted doing the movie while shooting and decided to make you watch as little as possible of that unfunny mess by forcing you to turn your head away in disgust.
January 6, 2016
I found this movie to be absolutley annoying. The film was really contrained to one setting. If a movie is going to have just one setting in a film it better be a damn good film, and it just wasn't. I thought Barrymore was casted wrong as her performance wasn't believable at all. I didn't like the chemistry between Barrymore and Stiller, and I thought the old woman was just annoying. It was a black comedy that I didn't find funny in any means. I wanted the film to be over halfway through.
½ December 19, 2015
Not cute and not particularly funny.
½ September 19, 2015
Ben Stiller when are you going stop making movies where people vomit all over you or monkies peeing on you.

What's up with Ben Stiller doing movies where someone eventually pukes all over him. This, Meet the Parents, and Little Fockers falls in that cantogory of gross movies.
July 6, 2015
A comedy where the bad guys thoroughly win? Yuck. I watched it once and once was enough.
½ June 29, 2015
There are pockets of amusement but boy are they ever so small.
½ June 9, 2015
It's just too hard to actually "enjoy" Duplex. Danny DeVito's comedy is about the most obnoxious old woman in the history of cinema and how she annoys the crap out of her neighbors (Ben Stiller and Drew Barrymore). What's frustrating isn't the old woman, but how the neighbors continuously help her out.

They complain and complain and complain when all they need to do is just ignore her. Like, seriously. Just stop helping her out! This becomes one of those obnoxious movies where things get worse and worse and worse and it's not funny. It's just annoying.
½ March 14, 2015
Second time seeing this , again a pleasure to watch , good fun , funny situations . 1 ugly thing the hairstyle of Drew ! SOMDVD
January 24, 2015
My Rating: 3/5 stars; Grade: B-; Gesture: Thumbs Sideways; Status: Passable (Fresh); Emoticon: :-I.
January 20, 2015
Divertida, a pesar de sus excesos.
December 25, 2014
Enjoyable dark comedy directed by Danny DeVito.
December 2, 2014
I hate these kind of movies, where the characters are unreasonable, and none of the characters believes the main characters, and the main characters have unreasonably bad things happen to them for the sake of comedy.
If you agree with these comments then don't watch this movie.
½ November 28, 2014
Duplex is very funny and enjoyably dark, but the plot is sometimes uneven. 65/100
½ October 25, 2014
Buena dosis de humor directo pero no demasiado tonto.