Eban and Charley Reviews

• Dec 10, 2019

The director himself is a pedophile who molested and seduced an under age boy. I would say life imitates art, but this is utter garbage.

• Jun 06, 2010

I was totally beguiled by this movie, especially by Giovanni Andrade - he was mesmerizing (faun-like as another reviewer put it). This movie stayed etched in my mind long afterwards and remains one of my favorites. Not-with-standing my empathy with Charleys role, there are other areas of the movie that are captivating - the (semi Dogme 95) stunningly sombre cinematography, the haunting (Stephen Merritt) soundtrack - but most of all Andrades entrancing screen presence. How very fortunate he persevered with his desire for the role.

• Oct 08, 2009

Eban and Charley (2000) I don't know how I have ended up with so many gay movies lately in my net/flix queue. I mainly watch foreign films. I have a queue of 450 films when a film has long wait or short wait I move all those up to the top of my queue. So at the top of my net/flix queue there are 30 -40 movies short and long wait. lately all the ones shipping have been some strange movies. This one is the worst. James Bolton directs this spare, sensitive depiction of an uncomfortable subject -- man-boy love. A 29 year old teacher is living with his parents after getting fired from his job. at the beach he meets a younger guy 16 who has returned home because his mother died. They become friends and then involved sexually. Basically the premise of this film is supporting the ideas of the 29 year old that love with under 18 youth is ok. Director Bolton manages to work up considerable sympathy for Eban and Charley, well played by Fellows and Andrade, and their predicament, but it's impossible not to wish that Eban would wait until Charley was of age to become involved with him romantically. Bolton makes a quietly impassioned, if unconvincing, case that what Eban and Charley do with their lives and with each other is nobody else's business, but it is reasonable for society to be concerned with the emotional well-being of its underage youth. Bolton is far more persuasive in showing how isolated and endangered Eban and Charley are in this small community. Few people will be able to go along with Bolton's point of view regarding relationships between adults and underage youths, but there's no denying the writer-director, in his feature debut, has avoided sensationalism in telling this story. Eban was forced to flee Seattle under threat of prosecution after having an affair with one of his charges Some folks could be sympathetic (ala The Reader) (not me), but the script is just bad bad bad. one star wishing I had watched something else.

• Oct 08, 2009

Eban and Charley (2000) I don't know how I have ended up with so many gay movies lately in my netflix queue. The few I have seen have been rotten. I have a queue of 450 films when a film has long wait or short wait I move all those up to the top of my queue (just to see how this messes around with netflix computer allocation system). So at the top of my netflix queue there are 30 -40 movies short and long wait. lately all the ones shipping have been some strange movies. This one is the worst. James Bolton directs this spare, sensitive depiction of an uncomfortable subject -- man-boy love. To me this film was not really man boy love --it is more a matter of the adult male not being full mental capacity or developmentally slow (even though he graduated college) A 29 year old teacher is living with his parents after getting fired from his job. at the beach he meets a younger guy 16 who has returned home because his mother died. They become friends and then involved sexually. Basically the premise of this film is supporting the ideas of the 29 year old that love with under 18 youth is ok. Director Bolton manages to work up considerable sympathy for Eban and Charley, well played by Fellows and Andrade, and their predicament, but it's impossible not to wish that Eban would wait until Charley was of age to become involved with him romantically. Bolton makes a quietly impassioned, if unconvincing, case that what Eban and Charley do with their lives and with each other is nobody else's business, but it is reasonable for society to be concerned with the emotional well-being of its underage youth. Bolton is far more persuasive in showing how isolated and endangered Eban and Charley are in this small community. Few people will be able to go along with Bolton's point of view regarding relationships between adults and underage youths, but there's no denying the writer-director, in his feature debut, has avoided sensationalism in telling this story. Eban was forced to flee Seattle under threat of prosecution after having an affair with one of his charges Some folks could be sympathetic (ala The Reader) (not me), but the script is just bad bad bad. one star wishing I had watched something else.

• Sep 20, 2009

typical , yet still emotional

typical , yet still emotional

• Aug 20, 2009

Total cop-out ending and clumsy acting...but still cute.

Total cop-out ending and clumsy acting...but still cute.

• Apr 16, 2009

This movie's heart is in the right place, but its script is awkward enough that its believability comes and goes in fits and starts as it progresses. Eban begins by hitting on Charley quite blatantly in a way that would only be socially possible if he: a) had nearly omniscient gaydar or b) knew that the script was going to make Charley an androphile (young gay guy who likes older guys) anyways so there was no risk. I doubt the author meant to make Eban come across quite as creepy as he does at several points. Don't get me wrong; I don't ask that the ephebophile character be perfect -- if Eban is a complex character who has his problems, that's fine. But I just had the impression that some of his scenes were more clunkily written than deftly constructed to show his human fallibility. Giovanni Andrade as Charley, however, saves the day by delivering a wonderfully nuanced performance of the young, cool gay teen with love in his heart. It's a study in acting to watch his eyes as he obliquely but forcefully invites Eban into his life; he has indescribable charm. It's a pity he doesn't have more to interact with as he takes on his cardboard caricature of a nasty dad prior to making his break for freedom with Eban. The ending reminded me of E.M. Forster's novel Maurice, which also dealt with an illegal relationship by plotting an implausible escape from society. In Maurice, the two gay partners go to live off the land in the English forests, where presumably no one will remark on their relationship and have them sent to prison. In Eban and Charley, the two illegal lovers simply escape on the train to Seattle, even though Charley's father has already threatened to call the police. Well, Seattle isn't exactly Paraguay - we all know that in real life, Eban is in the slammer for 20 years and Charley is being worked over by psychiatrists. In the movie, though, seems to leave us imagining they are going to have the good life they deserve. The courage of the filmmakers to put this movie together has to be applauded, though. If the script is inept at times and if it seems obvious that all the characters, even the straight ones, are played by LGBT actors, the fact is, with such a controversial topic, you're not always going to have access to the top level of cinematic excellence. Let's hope this movie paves the way for more expensive treatments of the same theme.

• Nov 02, 2008

A bit disturbing, a bit slow and a bit good.

A bit disturbing, a bit slow and a bit good.

• Oct 31, 2008

I liked the soundtrack...

I liked the soundtrack...

• Mar 16, 2008

I found out what Mr. Bean has been up to... Eban looks a lot like him. My opinion... the older guy was a bit creepy how he seemed to stalk him and had other pictures of his presumed students. Its interesting how when a 30 year old and a 45 year old are together its not such a big deal... Yet when someone is in a position of influence with someone else... relationships are not acceptable - other than my initial thoughts I think things progressed like in any other relationship really. To add a personal twist on this - I am married to someone 7 years my senior and adopted someone 15 years my younger... he's 11 now and I'm 26. I found this movie creepy on that fact alone - so I'm not the best judge. My mom dated (she would be 46 now) someone who was a year younger than me actually for a time before she died - also a bit odd. For me if I was single the youngest I would date is 18 (who was mature enough to live on their own and out of school) the oldest 40. The movie though was dry - and would be better suited for a philosophy / morals or sexuality class to anaylze it to provoke discussion. Not for its film content.