Elizabethtown Reviews

• May 21, 2019

Excellent. One of the classics of all time

Excellent. One of the classics of all time

• Apr 27, 2019

Exceeds expectations while leveled in the constant averageness, the typical charm that the rom-com genre would usually offer is bolstered by the scattered, agreeably undeveloped family story and the main pair's chemistry as the colliding cheerfulness produced a contagious heart with at times sweet humor â" and in Bloom's character's perspective a decent celebration of life. (B) (Full review TBD)

• Apr 12, 2019

Has an all star cast from Orlando Bloom, Kirsten Dunst, Susan Sarandon, Judy Greer, Alec Baldwin, and Jessica Biel. The performances are not great but Orlando Bloom and Kirsten Dunst have solid chemistry despite being two completely different characters. The movie has heart to it and it is not good as Cameron Crowe's other films like Jerry Maguire and Vanilla Sky but it is a heartwarming movie and a good date night movie.

• Mar 10, 2019

Actors and acting is mediocre, kind of a lame trope of a film, but it's basically what you'd expect. Good if you're the sentimental type and ur in the mood for a romcom (light on the "com"). You can find it in the $5bin most likely.

• Feb 16, 2019

The professional critics clearly did not see the same movie I saw. They complain about a movie being unfocused and poorly paced. I see a film the proceeds at the pace of life. It does wander a bit and take a few detours, but every little by way is an interesting little item on it's own and doesn't take away from the ultimate story line. Have a little patience, you professional movie critics and just take some time to enjoy the ride. Not every movie has to be slavishly structured as a tightly focused, big concept, Hollywood story arc. I've seen other suggest casting mistakes, suggesting for example that Reese Witherspoon would have been a better Claire. That just makes me want pull my hair out. Look I love Reese Witherspoon's acting, but she has this internal sharp edgedness to her that is just not right for this character. I can't think of any well-known actress that could do Claire as well as Dunst does her. I've also read Ryan Gosling mooted as a better Drew. I do not think so. Bloom was great as Drew. Not perfect though, I can in theory imagine there might be some other actor out there that could be a better Drew, but Gosling? Hard no. At the very best he could have done as well as Bloom in the role, but I'm skeptical of even that. Even worse, they actually originally cast Ashton Kutcher in the role, but replaced him because the chemistry between him and Dunst was... not good. Now *that* would have been a fiasco. One reviewer calls Drew a man-boy. What? Drew clearly lacks self-confidence in some areas, but he is anything but immature. Except for the lack of self-confidence due to his recent career setback, and still being a young adult, he's the viewed as the most mature and responsible person in his nuclear family, given the task of one the hardest things a man can face in life and he handles it, pretty much all by himself, and does it while interacting with a town whose culture is alien to him filled with people he doesn't know. Man-boys don't succeed at tasks like that, heck they won't even try. This is a story about how love between an extreme extrovert and an inveterate introvert can happen and work. It's about how love sometimes has to take a backseat to other concerns, but with patience it will find its moment. Another theme it explores is the juxtaposition of the start and the end of love. In the words of Chuck Hasbro "Death and life. And death and life. Right *next door* to each other! There's like, there's a hair between them."

• Jun 30, 2018

You might not get this movie, unless you feel like a loser and then have to carry around someone else's ashes for an extended period of time. I have. And I loved this movie. Is anyone else tired of movies with an endless array of endless car chases with happy endings, over the top raunchy sex comedies or ambuguous end-of- the-world scifi? It took so long for me to see this movie, that is was nice to see it with fresh eyes. Susan Sarandon does a wonderful stage send off, Orlando Bloom does a passable job as a struggling young adult who has to balance failure and loss, Kirsten Dunst is cheerful and unflappable and the citizens of Elazabeth town are there to remind us that some people still live in small town U.S.A. and know how to remember their home town heroes. And the last part really ties the story up nicely.

• Jun 26, 2018

The rotten tomato's score is crap. I always did love what critics down. Was a refreshing different love story. Love kindred spirits

• May 15, 2018

The dazzling soundtrack, and Dunst's charming performance makes for a nostalgically poignant film. This film is harshly criticized, and though it is at times slow, there are more than enough sweet and quotable moments to make up for it.

• Mar 25, 2018

I don't know what's the worst about this movie, Dunst's terrible tone deaf acting or the painful dialogue.

• Feb 08, 2018

That hand-made map was iconic.

That hand-made map was iconic.