Erin Brockovich - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Erin Brockovich Reviews

September 13, 2017
Sometimes tacky, but not because of its protagonist, who I wholeheartedly defend as a genuine, tangible character who does not care that you're still hung up about her neckline.
½ July 31, 2017
A movie driven by a single example of terrific acting and character development - by Albert Finney
July 26, 2017
Julia Roberts has never shone brighter than in her appealing portrayal of a trashy, yet charming and admirably persistent Erin Brockovich in this clever legal drama. Sharp, very sharp and funny dialogues compose Soderbergh's funny and heartwarming film, which, due both to the interest of its (true) story and to its unforgettable main character's relentless intelligence and repartee is garanteed to be a success.
July 25, 2017
Story about a jobless woman who finally finds employment as a legal assistant and convinces her boss to sue a powerful G&E company for fruad. Really enjoyed watching Julia Roberts in this movie and I don't like her in almost anything. Eckhart and Finney are awesome. It can get a bit repetitive with Julia's constant anger, but I don't mind it considering how hot she looks.
June 17, 2017
I really loved this movie. Amazing performances by Julia Roberts and Albert Finney !
June 7, 2017
The movie starts with a man's words on a black screen, the next frame shifts and focuses on Julia Roberts beautiful face heavy with baby blue eyeshadow and big voluminous hair. You almost believe you're watching Pretty Woman, but you'd be mistaken! Julia Roberts is Erin Brockovich in the biographical movie directed by Steven Soderbergh, written by Susannah Grant. This movie tells the story of the people from Hinkley, California in the San Bernardino County and how Erin Brockovich unlocked the secret to Hinkley's many unfortunate health issues. The story of Erin Brockovich is by far an interesting one. It is a story about a strong, motivated, and driven woman who never took no for an answer. Erin Brockovich is a single mother of three who has been kicked down and hit with misfortune after misfortune. After leaving a disappointing and discouraging job interview, Erin gets hit by a rich asshole zooming through a red light. Seeking compensation from the reckless driver, she ends up in Ed Masry's office in search of lawyer.
My four-star rating stems from the great performances done by the actors, the amazing wardrobe and costume department, and the great directing. It is no secret that a good movie and a good director go hand in hand. Director Steven Soderbergh did a fantastic job at creating a film that depicted Erin Brockovichs' life and the Hinkley Water Crisis on screen in an easy going and realistic manner. The characters were likable unlike other "underdogs" that annoy the audience because we just know things would work out for them eventually. I was rooting for Erin and I was rooting for Hinkley.
May 9, 2017
90's box office smasher with her rom-com & thrillers, Julia Roberts lands her 1st prodigious, audacious role and her 1st Academy laurel at the onset of the millennium with this biography of another real-life terrific woman who savaged (yet with a humane approach)a 28 billion dollar behemoth energy giant for its nefarious notoriety. Except for the elevation of Julia's star-studded status in few scenes(big 8 Hollywood studios push for that I guess) and the fact that Albert Finney was ignored for his boss-pecked portrayal of Masry, the movie takes you through the unraveling and court proceedings steadfastly, apparently with 99% accuracy as per Erin Brockovich who appears as a waitress in the initial scenes at the diner. It was one of those movies where I was glued to the couch and extolled the real life woman as much as I got a high for the reel-life counterpart.
April 3, 2017
Good, although Julila Roberts' star power may have been overpowering. Also feel like I've seen the "sue the big company" story before - A Civil Action. Albert Finney was good.
March 1, 2017
Erin Brockovich
When we just know we lack the experience to do the job. When we don't know what hits us when we least expect it. When we know whom to see when we are referred. When we don't want to know the results until we see it or hear both sides of the story. When others automatically know what this is about when we are broke. When what we don't know we lose out on. When others know exactly our situation when, but the deal is too sweet to pass away. We just know if you were in our shoes you would do it too. When we know we need extra help and money when it's overwhelming enough. When what others don't know won't hurt them. When we know where to go for people like us looking for a job. When others don't want to know when we are a hard ass. When we don't know what's going on, that we have to investigate. When what others don't know won't hurt them, as long as we know it. When we know others could use a helping hand or hand out. When we know our kids are in good hands, when we can afford it now. When we been down this road before, to know that we ain't going there. When what we don't know we know and it snaps us right in the butt. When what we also don't know how fast and snappy and smart some people are. When what we don't know we are informed but we don't care for others opinions or discomfort. When what we don't know could get us in trouble or fired, when others are uncomfortable with them around. When we don't know worst possible situations, we know others whom have our back when we least expect it. When what we rather not know or don't know, we stay away, as it's self assuring. When we know how to be a parent, but don't know how to be a friend or neighbour. When what we don't know or do know, we can't help ignore when they are big. When we know our role to always ask permission from the boss. When what we don't know we investigate further. When we don't know what we are looking at just yet, until it is revealed to us. When what we don't know we go to the experts. When we know somethings better than others to know how to gain access. When we know to go to the source. When what we don't know how to do, we get fired from. When what others don't know, we reveal to them our deepest thoughts and feeling when they start erupting. When others fill us in of what we didn't know, and what many people didn't know, we find our opportunity to investigate further. What we didn't know will cost us, when something so big is going to take up a lot of our time and our idea. When what we don't know others tell us. When what others don't know we inform them. When we don't know how big it gets, when word spreads and we are informed there are many. When what we neglect, we know why others are upset. When going up against giants, we know will be costly for ourselves and others. When we know how to mark this occasion with what we know best, a cake. When what we don't know or do know about being sincere, polite, and considerate we are doing it for them as equally for us. When what we don't know the lives that it destroyed when we are too busy thinking about how much the cost is. When we know we are small fishes in a shark pond. When what we know is getting us more worked up when all eyes are on us now to win or just be more decent. When we know we have to go to the source, get evidence when access is restricted and tight. When what we don't know, might get us harmed when others threaten us. When what we know, we can get but we are too busy dealing with other people's responsibilities. When sometimes people just don't know that we have plead our case to them. When what we don't know, it is revealed to us in a sweet, deep and loving way of what we don't see and are missing. When what we know, we just can't miss out on, and what we do know we are missing out on many things. When what we don't know, we can't be responsible for. When we have know whether others knew and provide evidence of whether they chose to ignore it. When not many people knew, from the law to its locals. When we know what's best and what's good to know what a company did was irresponsible and reckless. When we know also from what is good, but we plead our case to others but they don't know why they want us here. When everyone has a case on somebody when they know they take the selfish route. When we don't know how others do it, and don't care when we got other things more important to take care of. When we know we have to see this through, when much is on the line. When what we know we are passionate about, that we don't want others to handle it. When what we know, doesn't man we are not decent about knowing and presenting it. When we don't know how much this case is effecting us, that we can't separate us. When we do know every client we have seen or is invested in us, we know more then others personally. When others don't have touch like others, we know whom we trust or rely the work on. When we know how to work solo our whole life to not know how to work as a team. When somethings we didn't see or know was coming, we are angry at how things are being handled. When we know somethings, but others don't seem to see. When we do know the people need a strong leader, voice of reason and some one whom will put us ahead of their own interests. When we know we are acting selfish, and bad that what others are doing is helping those in need whom are in worse conditions. When we do know we have to meet, talk to every individual who was affected and get them on board. When knowing is half the battle, but the direct source siting next to you that can help you know more can win it. When what others don't know or are away from, they won't get far when e are in their face and asking the questions to get answers. When what others might presume, we know they are wrong by proving it and making them feel unfit for the job. When what we do know we show others and those mostly affected what payoff this was. When we don't know, those whom fight for us actually makes us feel better and stronger to heal. When we do know how hard we have been working when the payoff is rewarding. When what we didn't know what others are thinking to know now. When we know we have the best boss and best employee in the world, and the payoff is being on a team of winners.
½ February 9, 2017
At the centre of this true story is an utterly brilliant performance by Julia Roberts as the lead character. She manages to be funny, charming, engrossing and utterly believable. The rest of the cast is also really good, I adore the score, the script is solid and since I had never heard of the events depicted in this film I was utterly engrossed and appalled that such a thing could happen. Annoys me that I have until now only seen this film but I am glad I finally did.
February 4, 2017
Erin Brockovich is a heartwarming true story. Julia Roberts is heartfelt and you can see her passion for this project in her eyes. The rest of the performances are good and most of the characters are fleshed out enough for you to care about them. One problem is that Erin isn't as likeable as Soderbergh wants her to be, particularly early on in the film. I couldn't see myself watching this again much but it is undeniably a good film.
November 21, 2016
the film were julia showed she could act
November 12, 2016
Julia Roberts shows you how brilliant of an actress she really is in this film. She effortlessly demands your attention in every scene whether her character is her most vulnerable or most dominant one in the room. Her performance is extremely believable and she makes you want to root for her. She's at the top of her game here. I love the story telling and brilliant direction of the characters. I enjoyed this film from the strong beginning to the satisfying end.
October 14, 2016
I've seen thousands of movies. People always were asking me, what's my favorite and I had so many of them that I couldn't pick one. Now I know for sure!!!! Now I can name my favorite!!!!!!!!!!! Oh!.. My God!!!!!!!!!! Love it!!!!!!!!!
???? ????? ???? ??????? ?????!!!
October 3, 2016
I was in love with Julia Roberts since I was in 5th grade. It continued as a steady love for all those years. This movie deepened it in a way I didn't think possible. And opened my eyes to environmental issues in a digestible way.
October 1, 2016
Julia Roberts and Albert Finney have a fantastic chemistry which carries a movie that is very one note. Finney's character is hardly developed as this is a Roberts vehicle and she steals the show.

On a side note, this is funnier than most comedies on the market.
½ September 19, 2016
I am a big fan of legal dramas that involve the little guy taking on big corporate creeps, and that is mostly what Erin Brockovich is about. Yes, it's focused on the titular character and we occasionally have to sidetrack the film for family time with the Brockovich's, but the majority of the plot is about this one big case that changes her life. I loved all the legal investigation stuff and the acting was pretty good too. Surprisingly, I actually thought Albert Finney's performance was better than Julia Roberts. He was the best, and I kept wanting to see more of him throughout the movie. The actor that I could have used less of was Aaron Eckhart. He is completely wrong for his role, and every time he appeared I wanted to tell him to take off the Halloween costume and act like the clean-cut sophisticated gentleman that we all know he was born to play. It didn't help that those scenes between Eckhart and Roberts were the most tedious parts of the movie and distracted from what was far more interesting. I get the point of the scenes, because it is an interesting idea to show the catch-22 that a single mom can be caught in when she has to provide for her kids, but in so doing she can't be with her kids. Unfortunately, I thought the presentation of that dilemma was not great and they definitely gave it short shrift in the script.

The fact that Erin Brockovich fails to properly resolve problems that it raises is really the number one flaw in the film. They make it seem important that she is occasionally not giving her kids the attention they need, but then a single moment where the son offers to pick her up breakfast is supposed to make us say "Oh, now it's OK, because the kids understand." Real life tells us that this hasn't really fixed anything except that specific moment in her day. The movie is also too effective at vilifying the idea of sharing the case with a bigger firm, and the subsequent choice to go with arbitration. They really hammer this home because Erin has a very contentious relationship with the members of this other firm. Yet somewhere along the way we're just supposed to let all that go, because Ed Masry says so. However, despite some flaws, I found the overall experience of watching Erin Brockovich to be pleasant and I enjoyed the (admittedly predictable) conclusion to the film.
August 26, 2016
8/25/16 Very good story based on real events. Yes, I found that some small parts were made up to enhance the story, but overall, it was quite entertaining. It does run a bit long. After the Flint water crisis recently, it is amazing to think that this water crisis from years ago went on WAY longer and the side effects were WAY worse. I guess I was too young to have heard anything about this when the events actually happened.
July 15, 2016
I'm sure there are things in Steven Soderbergh's "Erin Brockovich" that are historically inaccurate. I'm sure some of the events in the film regarding the titular character, or any other characters surrounding her, were created purely for dramatic purposes. But I found the story of this movie immensely engaging and compelling, and Julia Roberts gives one of her best performances of her career. It's really good.