Erin Brockovich - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Erin Brockovich Reviews

May 9, 2017
90's box office smasher with her rom-com & thrillers, Julia Roberts lands her 1st prodigious, audacious role and her 1st Academy laurel at the onset of the millennium with this biography of another real-life terrific woman who savaged (yet with a humane approach)a 28 billion dollar behemoth energy giant for its nefarious notoriety. Except for the elevation of Julia's star-studded status in few scenes(big 8 Hollywood studios push for that I guess) and the fact that Albert Finney was ignored for his boss-pecked portrayal of Masry, the movie takes you through the unraveling and court proceedings steadfastly, apparently with 99% accuracy as per Erin Brockovich who appears as a waitress in the initial scenes at the diner. It was one of those movies where I was glued to the couch and extolled the real life woman as much as I got a high for the reel-life counterpart.
April 3, 2017
Good, although Julila Roberts' star power may have been overpowering. Also feel like I've seen the "sue the big company" story before - A Civil Action. Albert Finney was good.
March 1, 2017
Erin Brockovich
When we just know we lack the experience to do the job. When we don't know what hits us when we least expect it. When we know whom to see when we are referred. When we don't want to know the results until we see it or hear both sides of the story. When others automatically know what this is about when we are broke. When what we don't know we lose out on. When others know exactly our situation when, but the deal is too sweet to pass away. We just know if you were in our shoes you would do it too. When we know we need extra help and money when it's overwhelming enough. When what others don't know won't hurt them. When we know where to go for people like us looking for a job. When others don't want to know when we are a hard ass. When we don't know what's going on, that we have to investigate. When what others don't know won't hurt them, as long as we know it. When we know others could use a helping hand or hand out. When we know our kids are in good hands, when we can afford it now. When we been down this road before, to know that we ain't going there. When what we don't know we know and it snaps us right in the butt. When what we also don't know how fast and snappy and smart some people are. When what we don't know we are informed but we don't care for others opinions or discomfort. When what we don't know could get us in trouble or fired, when others are uncomfortable with them around. When we don't know worst possible situations, we know others whom have our back when we least expect it. When what we rather not know or don't know, we stay away, as it's self assuring. When we know how to be a parent, but don't know how to be a friend or neighbour. When what we don't know or do know, we can't help ignore when they are big. When we know our role to always ask permission from the boss. When what we don't know we investigate further. When we don't know what we are looking at just yet, until it is revealed to us. When what we don't know we go to the experts. When we know somethings better than others to know how to gain access. When we know to go to the source. When what we don't know how to do, we get fired from. When what others don't know, we reveal to them our deepest thoughts and feeling when they start erupting. When others fill us in of what we didn't know, and what many people didn't know, we find our opportunity to investigate further. What we didn't know will cost us, when something so big is going to take up a lot of our time and our idea. When what we don't know others tell us. When what others don't know we inform them. When we don't know how big it gets, when word spreads and we are informed there are many. When what we neglect, we know why others are upset. When going up against giants, we know will be costly for ourselves and others. When we know how to mark this occasion with what we know best, a cake. When what we don't know or do know about being sincere, polite, and considerate we are doing it for them as equally for us. When what we don't know the lives that it destroyed when we are too busy thinking about how much the cost is. When we know we are small fishes in a shark pond. When what we know is getting us more worked up when all eyes are on us now to win or just be more decent. When we know we have to go to the source, get evidence when access is restricted and tight. When what we don't know, might get us harmed when others threaten us. When what we know, we can get but we are too busy dealing with other people's responsibilities. When sometimes people just don't know that we have plead our case to them. When what we don't know, it is revealed to us in a sweet, deep and loving way of what we don't see and are missing. When what we know, we just can't miss out on, and what we do know we are missing out on many things. When what we don't know, we can't be responsible for. When we have know whether others knew and provide evidence of whether they chose to ignore it. When not many people knew, from the law to its locals. When we know what's best and what's good to know what a company did was irresponsible and reckless. When we know also from what is good, but we plead our case to others but they don't know why they want us here. When everyone has a case on somebody when they know they take the selfish route. When we don't know how others do it, and don't care when we got other things more important to take care of. When we know we have to see this through, when much is on the line. When what we know we are passionate about, that we don't want others to handle it. When what we know, doesn't man we are not decent about knowing and presenting it. When we don't know how much this case is effecting us, that we can't separate us. When we do know every client we have seen or is invested in us, we know more then others personally. When others don't have touch like others, we know whom we trust or rely the work on. When we know how to work solo our whole life to not know how to work as a team. When somethings we didn't see or know was coming, we are angry at how things are being handled. When we know somethings, but others don't seem to see. When we do know the people need a strong leader, voice of reason and some one whom will put us ahead of their own interests. When we know we are acting selfish, and bad that what others are doing is helping those in need whom are in worse conditions. When we do know we have to meet, talk to every individual who was affected and get them on board. When knowing is half the battle, but the direct source siting next to you that can help you know more can win it. When what others don't know or are away from, they won't get far when e are in their face and asking the questions to get answers. When what others might presume, we know they are wrong by proving it and making them feel unfit for the job. When what we do know we show others and those mostly affected what payoff this was. When we don't know, those whom fight for us actually makes us feel better and stronger to heal. When we do know how hard we have been working when the payoff is rewarding. When what we didn't know what others are thinking to know now. When we know we have the best boss and best employee in the world, and the payoff is being on a team of winners.
½ February 9, 2017
At the centre of this true story is an utterly brilliant performance by Julia Roberts as the lead character. She manages to be funny, charming, engrossing and utterly believable. The rest of the cast is also really good, I adore the score, the script is solid and since I had never heard of the events depicted in this film I was utterly engrossed and appalled that such a thing could happen. Annoys me that I have until now only seen this film but I am glad I finally did.
February 4, 2017
Erin Brockovich is a heartwarming true story. Julia Roberts is heartfelt and you can see her passion for this project in her eyes. The rest of the performances are good and most of the characters are fleshed out enough for you to care about them. One problem is that Erin isn't as likeable as Soderbergh wants her to be, particularly early on in the film. I couldn't see myself watching this again much but it is undeniably a good film.
November 21, 2016
the film were julia showed she could act
November 12, 2016
Julia Roberts shows you how brilliant of an actress she really is in this film. She effortlessly demands your attention in every scene whether her character is her most vulnerable or most dominant one in the room. Her performance is extremely believable and she makes you want to root for her. She's at the top of her game here. I love the story telling and brilliant direction of the characters. I enjoyed this film from the strong beginning to the satisfying end.
October 14, 2016
I've seen thousands of movies. People always were asking me, what's my favorite and I had so many of them that I couldn't pick one. Now I know for sure!!!! Now I can name my favorite!!!!!!!!!!! Oh!.. My God!!!!!!!!!! Love it!!!!!!!!!
???? ????? ???? ??????? ?????!!!
October 3, 2016
I was in love with Julia Roberts since I was in 5th grade. It continued as a steady love for all those years. This movie deepened it in a way I didn't think possible. And opened my eyes to environmental issues in a digestible way.
October 1, 2016
Julia Roberts and Albert Finney have a fantastic chemistry which carries a movie that is very one note. Finney's character is hardly developed as this is a Roberts vehicle and she steals the show.

On a side note, this is funnier than most comedies on the market.
½ September 19, 2016
I am a big fan of legal dramas that involve the little guy taking on big corporate creeps, and that is mostly what Erin Brockovich is about. Yes, it's focused on the titular character and we occasionally have to sidetrack the film for family time with the Brockovich's, but the majority of the plot is about this one big case that changes her life. I loved all the legal investigation stuff and the acting was pretty good too. Surprisingly, I actually thought Albert Finney's performance was better than Julia Roberts. He was the best, and I kept wanting to see more of him throughout the movie. The actor that I could have used less of was Aaron Eckhart. He is completely wrong for his role, and every time he appeared I wanted to tell him to take off the Halloween costume and act like the clean-cut sophisticated gentleman that we all know he was born to play. It didn't help that those scenes between Eckhart and Roberts were the most tedious parts of the movie and distracted from what was far more interesting. I get the point of the scenes, because it is an interesting idea to show the catch-22 that a single mom can be caught in when she has to provide for her kids, but in so doing she can't be with her kids. Unfortunately, I thought the presentation of that dilemma was not great and they definitely gave it short shrift in the script.

The fact that Erin Brockovich fails to properly resolve problems that it raises is really the number one flaw in the film. They make it seem important that she is occasionally not giving her kids the attention they need, but then a single moment where the son offers to pick her up breakfast is supposed to make us say "Oh, now it's OK, because the kids understand." Real life tells us that this hasn't really fixed anything except that specific moment in her day. The movie is also too effective at vilifying the idea of sharing the case with a bigger firm, and the subsequent choice to go with arbitration. They really hammer this home because Erin has a very contentious relationship with the members of this other firm. Yet somewhere along the way we're just supposed to let all that go, because Ed Masry says so. However, despite some flaws, I found the overall experience of watching Erin Brockovich to be pleasant and I enjoyed the (admittedly predictable) conclusion to the film.
August 26, 2016
8/25/16 Very good story based on real events. Yes, I found that some small parts were made up to enhance the story, but overall, it was quite entertaining. It does run a bit long. After the Flint water crisis recently, it is amazing to think that this water crisis from years ago went on WAY longer and the side effects were WAY worse. I guess I was too young to have heard anything about this when the events actually happened.
July 15, 2016
I'm sure there are things in Steven Soderbergh's "Erin Brockovich" that are historically inaccurate. I'm sure some of the events in the film regarding the titular character, or any other characters surrounding her, were created purely for dramatic purposes. But I found the story of this movie immensely engaging and compelling, and Julia Roberts gives one of her best performances of her career. It's really good.
June 20, 2016
Witty and well-written, topped off by a great Julia Roberts performance.
June 13, 2016
For many years, I avoided watching this movie because of Julia Roberts. It turns out that the role suits her well and she delivers one of her best performances. She nicely keeps pace with Finney and their rapport helps carry the story.
½ June 8, 2016
Pretty face, nice tits. Erin Brockobitch.
June 7, 2016
Erin Brockovich Saves the Day
Erin Brockovich is a riveting film that will have you rooting for the underdog and hating large corporations that are out to get the little guys. This plot has been done many times before and in many instances, it has failed but not in this case. The film stars Julia Roberts as the protagonist of this film, Erin Brockovich. This film also stars Albert Finney as Ed Masry and Aaron Eckhart as George, who is Brockovich's love interest in this film.
This film is based on a true story about a brave woman who goes against a huge corporation to pursue justice for others. Erin Brockovich is a single mother trying to raise her three kids. The opening scene of the film shows Brockovich desperately looking for a job so she can support her children and she ends up in a car accident. Jobless, she convinces her lawyer, Ed Masry into giving her a job at his firm. While working at the firm she begins to look into a real estate case involving Pacific Gas & Electric Company (PG&E). She finds out PG&E is trying to secretly buy land that is contaminated by toxic hexavalent chromium, which they have disposed of incorrectly and has now affected the people living in Hinkley, California. The inhabitants of Hinkley are unaware that the land has been exposed to this dangerous chemical and think the company is solely trying to buy their homes. She decides to go to Hinkley and begins to question some of the people she read about in the files. As she talks to the residents, she digs deeper into what is actually occurring in the small town of Hinkley. She investigates further and soon Brockovich and Masry are involved in the biggest class action lawsuit case in American history against the powerful PG&E.
Erin Brockovich is an inspirational film that will inspire you to do great things for the environment. She's a single mother of three, who without any formal education decides to go after a large multi-billion dollar corporation to help bring justice to those affected by the contamination of water in Hinkley. She was able to obtain the job in the law firm due to her tenacity as she convinced her lawyer to give it to her, which to me, says a lot about her character and how driven she is, which will help her as the film progresses. Despite her financial situation not being great, she still chose to help the people of Hinkley. This was a truly admirable act because she was fighting for a much greater cause. Even though she was not a lawyer, she was still an important asset in this case. I feel this helped the people of Hinkley trust her and bridge the gap between the lawyers and the clients. She was able to help the residents of Hinkley understand what was going on with the case in a way that they would understand.
I think Julia Roberts did an exceptional job as Erin Brockovich. She was able to really connect with the character and it showed in her acting. This is a biographical film and I think it is vital that the writers don't stray too far from the truth and this film achieved just that. The costumes used in the film were great and helped bring a point across. The fact that she is working in a law firm brings a certain image to mind when it comes to the type of clothing you imagine employees wear and the clothes she wore were the exact opposite of that. Her clothes helped her stand out from the women in the law firm who wore pant suits and looked down on Brockovich because of her clothing choices. Even though the other workers were uncomfortable with the type of clothes she wore she did not succumb to their wills and she kept on dressing the way she wanted to. This action may seem insignificant but it really shows her refusal to conform to societal norms.
The plot in the film is intriguing and kept me on the edge of my seat until the very end because I wanted to know what the outcome of the case was going to be. Throughout the movie, you can't help but root for her and want her to succeed. She's a single mother going against a huge corporation because they did the people of Hinkley wrong. This really helps play on the emotions of the viewer. While watching the film I found this to be an admirable quality of hers. While there is an underlying romance in the film, it is not the main focus. The directors do an excellent job at not taking away from the plot and the story that is being told.
I would highly recommend this film. The acting is phenomenal and the plot keeps you wanting more. After watching the film, it got me questioning the trust we put in the people that provide us with water. I'm sure there are many cases around the world similar to this and I think it is a topic that should be discussed more. This film really highlighted Brockovich's many admirable qualities and it inspired me. She was just one person who happened to stumble upon this case but that did not stop her from further investigating the situation and doing the right thing. The fact that she did not go to law school and yet achieved something great serves as an inspiration to us all. I think we all have something to learn from Erin Brockovich and we should continue to fight for things we believe in.
May 4, 2016
While there are some technical flaws and the accuracy is in question, "Erin Brockovich" is a sweet, funny, and inspiring real-life legal drama featuring one of Julia Roberts' best and most notable performances yet.
½ April 28, 2016
With the exception of some acidic and often vulgar humor, "Erin Brockovich" shares a little too many similarities with Lifetime movies.