Escape Room - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Escape Room Reviews

March 18, 2019
"Escape Room" offers enough thrills to overcome its lack of character development and incoherent plot. It's fun, it's tense, and it's original.
March 16, 2019
Did not expect to like it this much.
½ March 14, 2019
I thought that this movie was very good because of the fact that it had me stressed almost the entire time! I was expecting other good reviews when I checked to see its rotten tomatoes, but I'm surprised that there are a lot of bad reviews! It could be because they compared it to other movies such as Saw or the Cube, and though I have never seen the Cube, I have seen Saw and I do not think the two are very similar. I loved Logan Miller's acting and I did feel connected with some of the characters, despite what other reviewers have said. The last 10 minutes or so were not the best, but it did set up for a sequel nicely, and I would definitely see said sequel!
March 11, 2019
I was hoping for something along the lines of Cube, but all I got was a crappy Saw rip off.
March 11, 2019
Escape Room is a really fun, dumb, entertaining cheap thriller. The acting is mediocre and the plot falls apart during the second half, but the room design and the creative puzzles help the film be entertaining enough worth of it‚(TM)s January release. The film offers great suspense at times, offering cheap thrills most people would enjoy.
½ March 10, 2019
Escape Room 4.7/10
Escape Room is a middling January movie with some thrilling moments punctured by a very weak story and okay characters hampered by mostly bad acting. The acting is pretty much flaming garbage except for Deborah Ann Woll (you may recognize her as Karen Page from Daredevil); however I do like most of the way the characters were portrayed. The escape rooms are unpredictable and do provide some very exciting actions. What I didn't like was that I felt like the plot was weak, culminating in a terrible ending to the movie. I think this is an excellent choice for a Saturday night Redbox rental in the future.
March 10, 2019
the movie was average. The ending begs for a sequel. And there was a TERRIBLE JOKE in it "stop being nice, nobody wants to have sex with you"
March 10, 2019
it's a good crossover between saw and cube but without the Gore. I don't when Sony will have the courage to make a R rated film. Anyway it's a little good thriller but they made the mistake by going against the Aquaman.
½ March 9, 2019
Made no sense, horrible ending
March 9, 2019
Very predictable IMHO. My 15yo daughter loved it though!
March 6, 2019
Was Okay. Was desperate to go see a movie at the new cinemas and this was movie of the week. I don't think I will see the second one at the movies. I kinda liked the actors in it.
March 6, 2019
Escape Room was a fun interesting movie to watch. The reason I feel this movie failed was because it was advetised as a horror film and it was clearly a thriller. Its not an amazing film but its fun thrilling watch and I really hope to see a sequel.
March 3, 2019
While the acting is OK and the majority of the escape room scenes themselves are entertaining, the characters are still easily hateable in the last 20 minutes of the film destroy any enjoyment you might have had throughout the previous hour and 20 minutes. Over all, as the start to a new year, Escape Room is not the best first step.
March 3, 2019
A Film That Can Entertain
March 2, 2019
Very realistic but if your looking for a scary movie its not but a really good movie though 100% recommend
½ March 2, 2019
‚~Escape Room' is an enjoyable psychological horror which despite a few nonsensical elements offers enough fun little thrills.
February 27, 2019
The most disheartening thing a movie can be is when it fails to live up to expectations. A close second would be when a film starts to show promise only for one thing, JUST ONE THING, ruins the entire movie. This is the problem with ‚Escape Room.‚?

‚Escape Room‚? is a thriller following six players participating in one of the top rated escape rooms in the country. The group includes shy college student Zoey (Taylor Russell), veteran Amanda (Deborah Ann Woll), grocery store employee Ben (Logan Miller), rugged everyman Mike (Tyler Labine), jerk businessman Jason (Jay Ellis), and escape room fanboy Danny (Nik Dodani).

When the game begins, it doesn‚(TM)t take them long to figure out that this is unlike any escape room any of them have ever seen. In fact, the game seems like it is trying to kill them. It does, however, take a bit for them to realize that the game is designed based on secrets from the players‚(TM) pasts and a connection they all share. They must then learn to follow the clues if they want to make it out alive.

‚Escape Room‚? is directed by Adam Robitel, an up and coming director that showed promise with his debut feature, the found footage possession movie, ‚The Taking of Deborah Logan.‚? However, all of that promise was tossed into the garbage when he was tasked with directing ‚Insidious: The Last Key.‚? I understand the need to take the first studio film offered up to a promising young filmmaker, but it still wasn‚(TM)t a great movie.

Being not just the first new movie of the year, but a horror film as well, I didn‚(TM)t expect much from this story. I expected a PG-13 ‚Saw‚? rip off, which it sort of is, filled with a bunch of characters I didn‚(TM)t care about. However, I actually found myself enjoying this film. I thought the characters were interesting, the attention to detail pretty cool, and I actually felt bad when a couple of the players died in the game. Then the end happened.

Whatever good will this movie managed to have with me was pretty much gone in the last five minutes. Spoiler alert ‚" the character of characters that manage to survive the game embark on a quest to hunt down the games creator who, like a Bond villain, has anticipated this and is ready for another game. This sets up a sequel that, frankly, isn‚(TM)t needed. I know we ended up with seven ‚Saw‚? sequels and countless rip offs, but having this faceless corporation creating deadly scenarios based on a group of players is more interesting (and barely, at that) than what they are setting up.

‚Escape Room‚? is not worthy of any deep analysis and will likely be forgotten in five years. Maybe it‚(TM)ll show up on TV and you end up watching it because you‚(TM)re bored and can‚(TM)t find the remote, which is a better option than paying to see it. However, if you must, maybe walk out or turn it off when you see a plane, which will allow you to see the good version of this movie before it got silly. Okay, sillier.
February 27, 2019
Pretty dope kept me glued and scares you thought the theater was closing in cant wait for part 2
February 26, 2019
Great for 90 percent of the movie but with the second half of the third act , deserving to be in the credits or extra footage on the DVD sadly! :(
February 25, 2019
Absolute rubbish. The only reason this should be called escape room is because you will want to escape the room as soon as this shitty movie starts playing!