Escape Room - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Escape Room Reviews

½ January 14, 2019
Not the best, but the really good action thriller.
Something between Saw and Cube
January 14, 2019
Decent movie, actually surprisingly entertaining. Weighted down by the basic cliche's of the genre. But overall decent.
January 14, 2019
From the start you better hang on! It's intense! Loved it.
January 13, 2019
Surprisingly good homage to Saw and it's ilk, well directed and highly watchable although often predictable. Watch for a sequel, and if there's one, I'm in, there's no escaping it.
January 13, 2019
very original and unique! Twists and turns and fast moving!
January 13, 2019
I wonder how it ends????
January 13, 2019
It was intense, and terrifying.
See this movie... but run out of the theater before the epilogue.
Original Score: 7/10
January 13, 2019
i liked it! i love escape rooms & i love the old Cube movies, which is what this essentially is, really. i didn't see the ending coming & i liked how they left it wide open for another one. i'd watch it again.
January 13, 2019
It was a good movie that always kept the action going. Things in the movie were unexpected and it never got boring. I would recommend going to see this it was a lot like final destination.
½ January 13, 2019
Very average and only watchable if you're in to the genre.
Acting was pretty bad, concept was, as other people have said, a poor mans jigsaw.
The characters had all been seen before in a million other trash movies and they weren't well done, just one-dimensional.
I've seen a lot worse but I've seen a lot better.
Bog standard average at best
½ January 13, 2019
Feels like a more relatable Cube. Decently acted and did not bore.
January 13, 2019
Very interesting movie was excitement from beginning to end
½ January 13, 2019
Going into Escape Room, I definitely had my reservations. The trailers had left a poor taste in my mouth, leaving me to originally dismiss the film as another trope in the industry of American psychological thrillers.

Cinematically pleasing with a decent cast, the film had initially confirmed my bias through it's cheesie, ill-timed humor and lackluster first escape room. However, the third room genuinely had me on the edge of my seat.

Unlike other films in it's genre, the characters are mostly likeable. From the start, it is clear Zoey is written as the quick witted and doe-eyed Mary Sue of the bunch, with Ben serving as the one who was so-unlikely-to-win-it-was-blatantly-obvious-he-would-as-a-twist. Amanda falls into the badass ex-war-vet stereotype, Mike is essentially the goofy uncle of the bunch, Danny is the nerd, while Jason remained a downright despicable wolf.

Escape Room definitely isn't a horror movie or "Scary AF" as the review cited on the landing page of it's official website claims. Although the plot hit a few pitfalls, succumbing to cliches that run hand in hand with psychological thrillers, it's certainly an intriguing spin on the concept of the escape room industry. It does a much better job than Unfriended in taking something that is trending and translating it into an engaging, semi-electrifying film.

Escape Room isn't terrible, but I wouldn't say it's amazing, either. All-in-all, if you have an hour or two to spare, I recommend giving it a watch. In fact, I'm somewhat curious about the cliff hanger and may just see the foreshadowed sequel in theatres, as well.

I'd say Escape Room warrants a slightly higher rating than 5.2/10 on Rotten Tomatoes. Personally? I'd rate the film 6.5/10, cautioning audiences not to escape the theatre while the film is figuring out it's footing during the first puzzle.
January 13, 2019
This movie was amazing. Anyone who says so is lying & clearly tasteless. Creators & producers of this movie were very creative, cohesive, proactive, & incredible! I definitely look forward to the sequel. Perfect way to start off 2019
January 12, 2019
Really great movie, cried sometime during, wanted to see more. WARNING anybody who deals with anxiety especially psychological, ptsd, or situational please be careful watching. The movie does induce anxiety and a friend of mine had to leave the theater due to a panic attack so be careful watching.
January 12, 2019
Thought the movie was a great movie that kinda made you think about the saw series and bring alittle respect to the kind of mind twist that I these kind of movies are.
January 12, 2019
It was much better than I was expecting. I liked the acting, and I thought it was an interesting take in a subgenre that tends to suffer from a lack of imagination.
January 12, 2019
This was a perfect movie. Don't worry about it being PG13 horror. Escape Room more than makes up for gore and all that with plot, puzzle, and character. This is coming from someone who normally speaks out against PG 13 horror. I demand a sequel.
January 12, 2019
It definitely keeps you entertained from beginning to finish. I liked that it wasnâ(TM)t gory scary.
January 12, 2019
Fun movie saw it twice. Lots of loose ends were cleared.