Everything, Everything - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Everything, Everything Reviews

September 18, 2017
3.0/5.0 stars - Grade: C+
September 11, 2017
Me gustó, no me esperaba lo sucedido en ella.
½ September 8, 2017
much better than I expected. not great by any means. But, still a decent story. Not a bad twist at the end either.
September 8, 2017
Nice movie. Didn't see that twist coming either.
½ September 6, 2017
I knew I should've seen the movie before reading the book, sigh, I'm almost always disappointed. Idk why they make some of the arbitrary choices they do when adapting a book, but it's annoying when it's not for a good reason. Anyway, the chemistry between the leads lacked something, BUT the art direction was on point. Very cool to put them in her imagination for their message convos rather than showing screens. Loved the book illustrations over the end credits. More like the book than not, but could've been... more.
½ September 4, 2017
I won't spoil the content of the movie. This one was a well made one I could like apart from other critics. However, one thing I'd like to say is that it was representing teenagers' daring activities which can possibly make other youngsters dare to do something idiotic.
September 1, 2017
omg this film is awesome. I loved the book so wanted to see the film. Olliee js how I imagined him and Maddy isqnt but its sooo good.
September 1, 2017
I lovvvved this movie! And I love him!! It was sooo good...And it wasn't too gushy either..It made me laugh and smile the whole time. I can't wait for it to get on dvd... Because online quality wasn't cutting it!!!
September 1, 2017
This is kinda like that new Taylor Swift song, just don't even press the play button. This movie got so much hype so I decided I would give it a shot. It was given way too much hype for what it is. Spoiler alert: the storyline of this basic-ass, middle school girl, romance movie (and tbh maybe don't even read this cuz you're wasting more and more time on a movie that I hope you don't watch):
Sick, naive girl with over-protective, selfish mother keeps her trapped in the house for the first 18 years of her life, cute boy moves in next door, can't control themselves, she risks her life for this boy next door, they text and look at each other through their bedroom windows (which conveniently face each other), she gets a credit card and they run off to Hawaii together, they say "i love you", have a not-so-steamy, awkward-angled sex scene, she almost dies because she's sick and should be at home doing book reviews, HOLYSHIT she finds out she's not sick like her batshit crazy mother said she was (just an under-developed immune system), she leaves her mom, and cute neighbor boy and her run through the street together smiling.
That was such an awful run-on sentence, but this whole movie was an awful run-on sentence, written by a confused and bored middle-schooler girl.
August 30, 2017
I was scrolling through suggested movies when I see Everything Everything I stopped and looked the person playing Maddy looked familiar then I realise ITS THE WONDERFUL AMANDLA (who played rue and did a fabulous job) I straight away download the movie and am not disappointed IT IS AMMMMMAAAAZZZZINNNG !!!
August 29, 2017
An appealing young cast lifts this melodramatic tale about love conquering all. It plays like an after school special thrown into a Lifetime movie. The plot mostly goes exactly where you expect it to.
August 29, 2017
Just a worse version of The Fault in Our Stars.
August 29, 2017
Decent and, at times, tear-jerking, drama.
½ August 28, 2017
Everything Everything focuses on a young adult and her illness that keeps her from really discovering her whole world. The movie was ok, it took to long to really get into the plot and I couldn't feel the love the two main characters had for each other. I feel their relationship moved to fast and it felt unrealistic. It's one of those movies when the book is way better.
August 25, 2017
never thought it was the mom making her stay there
½ August 25, 2017
Touching. Funny. Kept me interested with a very small cast - all of whine I cared about.
August 25, 2017
August 2017

Everything, Everything

Two stars for cinematography. But this movie totally lacked any depth or character. It was like watching a teenybopper TV show from the 1990s or something. The acting was poor and see-through, dialogue was superficial and disjointed, and it had no gravitas emotionally or otherwise. Furthermore, this "surprise" ending that everyone's talking about? Well I won't spoil it, but it was both sad and not believable at the same time. It seemed there were a few accidentally evil twists like this that were just carelessly thrown in there to try to give the movie some kind of substance. It just didn't work. The elevator music didn't help either. Again, two stars for cinematography. I would not recommend this movie to anyone except maybe an uncultured suburban family.
½ August 25, 2017
Everything, Everything is a teen romantic drama based on a young adult novel that seemed like it would have the typical clichés that we seen in other teenage love stories. However, Everything, Everything is better than I expected. It is not sappy or filled with cheesy romantic dialogue. It involves a serious life matter that's affecting a young 18 year old and how she is being affected psychologically with being isolated from the world.

The plot follows Maddy (Amandla Stenberg) who suffers from SCID, an immune deficiency disease that she has to be quarantined inside her own home. Just to avoid catching any other bacteria, germs, diseases, viruses, etc. She is limited to who she interacts with and only her mother, and nurse Carla are allowed to enter the house that is secured through a sanitizing air lock. Then, here comes the new neighbor, which she gets attracted to a boy Olly (Nick Robinson). They see each other in their rooms through the windows and exchange phone numbers. They talk and build a relationship only involving communication looking through their windows and messengers. When Maddy gets her one request to have him come in the same room. Her curiosity on traveling and going to the beach convinces her that it is not living a life if your not taking risks.

It is a cute sweet romantic story that drives the idea of a person struggling with an illness. But at the same time, she is not letting the illness hold her back on being isolated from the world, people,etc. Maddy was struggling psychologically of isolation to everything when her only way of looking around the world is through a computer. Her only communication to others is through computer. Her living day by day with the same routine with mom checking on her health, playing the casual board games, and repeating the same thing over. Can be frustrating with the limitations.

The movie does try to make the audience smile and cheer without trying to make it emotional about effects of this illness. Maddy takes the risk and Olly takes her to Hawaii. The direction shows the beautiful landscapes of the beaches, the sunset behind these two characters. Plus the soundtrack also helped creating a romantic tone with these two young adults.

Like all romantic films, it does have some minimum clichés like Maddy being distant with Olly cause she is afraid she will be a burden. Sure, the audience can pick up that these characters attempting to break up with the other will eventually get back together. It can be predictable. If you read the books or not, sure there is a twist about a character. Which I did not see coming.

Overall, Everything, Everything is a fairly well romantic drama. It is a cute love story that will make you smile. It has a basic plot. Basic set up with Olly and Maddy. It did not have obnoxious sappy dialogue for a romantic movie. The setting of seeing these two at the beach was a beautiful set up. All while, it has its basic clichés and predictableness.

I rate the film 3.5 out of 5 stars.
½ August 24, 2017
Beautifully made, Everything, Everything have heart, and compensates some cliche moments, plus we have a solid performances by the cast (Amandla Stenberg is really good), a good direction, an amazing cinematography and an interesting premise. (3,5/5)