Executive Decision - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Executive Decision Reviews

August 17, 2016
This was a pretty good 90s rescue movie. haent seen it in a long time, though.
½ March 25, 2016
If you're gonna travel - you've gotta take Kurt Russell!
Perfect combination of action and technical gadgetry (dirty bomb know-how) delivers non-stop tension. I could not leave this movie - it loses nothing on a TV size screen. Hasn't dated. Excellent special effects. Just go along for the ride. Total surprise.
½ March 19, 2016
I wonder why this is rarely talked about as one of the best Die Hard variants. Because, without question, Executive Decision is essentially Die Hard on a plane. I love this movie for a lot of reasons (as long as you look past the pre-9/11 racial profiling.) First of all, I think the cast is very good. Kurt Russell is excellent as an intelligence agent who is out of his element in a real crisis. Steven Seagal is the perfect action guy who butts heads with Russell. Oliver Platt is exactly what you'd expect out of a nerdy tech-guy. And, best of all, Halle Berry isn't given many lines so she can't screw up the whole film. The story is tense and does a superb job of raising the stakes at just the right moments to keep you on the edge of your seat. While it may not be respected as one of the better 90s action movies, it is easily one of my favorites, and I was happy to see that it still holds up well. Perhaps the biggest problem with Executive Decision is its stupid title. That is a phrase which is used once and only once in the entire movie and it doesn't have a lot of bearing on what happens in the movie. A better title could have helped communicate what the movie is really about. There is one other aspect of the film that I really love, but I can't talk about that without spoiling something that happens kind of early on, and it is definitely a surprise.

Spoilers: I think the best decision the writers made in this film was surprising everyone by killing off Steven Seagal early. You have to remember this was a time when Seagal was still a popular action star, so to eliminate him from the movie was a shocker, but it helps the story tremendously. Because his character is eliminated this movie doesn't become a mindless film where the military guys kick all the terrorists in the face one at a time and never have any problem. Instead the team on board the plane are forced to use their heads and out-think the enemy, which is much more interesting and enjoyable. In fact this movie includes so much planning, problem-solving, and strategizing that it almost doesn't fall in the action movie category. But I love that because it is more tense and exciting for the heroes to have those kind of obstacles to overcome.
March 5, 2016
A fun action movie to be honest!
February 27, 2016
So much better than the "critics" said...lots of fun and Kurt Russell is one of the most underrated actors of the past half century
February 26, 2016
Good action flick. Good performances from talented members of the cast.
January 10, 2016
Good triller and fits even more in today's era with worries of terrorism. One of Kurt Russell's better action movies.
½ October 19, 2015
Good hijack plane movie. Engaging and exciting. America SEALs team capture a terrorist warlord. An Oceanic airline is been hijack by terrorist Andreas Katsulas and gang and want to release the leader. Kurt Russell is an intel expert who think they may have other plan as well. Lt.Col Steven Seagal is to lead his men to take over the plane up in the air. Using a stealth plane and technology developed by Oliver Platt, they go underneath and connect a tunnel to board the airline undetected. The airline pull up and a commando Joe Morton fell and unconscious. Kurt quickly try to push him up. The tunnel break and Steven is rip out to the sky. John Leguizamo has to take charge now. Joe is hurt badly at the spine. A stewardess Halle Berry is smart and quickly hide the passenger manifest. BD Wong found the bomb. They install CCTV to monitor the situation. When Kurt is going down the pantry lift, Halle saw him and distract Andreas. Joe need Oliver help to diffuse the bomb while the rest station for attack. In the Pentagon, defense sec Len Cariou still hope the team manage to get on board as the airline is approaching US territory. The bomb is nearly diffuse when it suddenly go to active mode. Joe says they have to find a sleeper who remote control it or they have to diffuse the bomb. Kurt use the phone to tell Halle find anyone who has computer device. John want to strike because time is running out. Halle find one guy and they are ready. The F-14 jets that's escorting the airline is deploy to shoot the plane down. Whip Hubley use the tail light of the plane to send Morse code to the pilot they are on board. Len call off the strike. Oliver is trying to place a straw in between the 2 metal piece which will trigger the bomb but there's many laser security. Kurt pretend to use Halle as hostage and go near the sleeper. But turns out the guy is just holding a box of diamonds. He scan quickly around and saw the real sleeper. John shut the lights and all go down to attack. The sleeper manage to press enter before dead and Oliver luckily slot in the straw. Andreas shot John and kill the pilots. John turn around and kill him. Kurt try to fly the plane and with Halle help they landed dangerously but survives. Kurt get the respect of the soldiers and he invite Halle for a cup of coffee.
August 19, 2015
Here begins a sequence of reviews of films I watched in a Saigon hotel room when it was too hot or rainy to go outside. I wasn't looking forward to seeing this but there was nothing else on. Seeing that Kurt Russel and Steven Segal was in it didn't bode well. I'm pleased to say I was pleasantly surprised however. It's quite a cool film, with a decent story and action packed, of course. It didn't drop into the realms of fantasy either, which I respect.
August 2, 2015
Solid action flick. Love the cast. How did Kurt Russell not become a huge action star back in the day...? lol. I love Segal's outcome in this.
April 28, 2015
When they killed off Seagal ten minutes in,no matter what,I was going to like this film.
April 5, 2015
Athe greatest hikacking a plane movie ever
½ March 8, 2015
It's politics are dodgy, but the tension is sustained very well and it has a few barnstorming action scenes. Kudos to the filmmakers for the major twist 40 mins in!
½ February 28, 2015
It was as competent and unspecial as it could be.
January 2, 2015
It's a bit out there, but what action thriller isn't? Kurt Russell offers exactly what his fans want to see and the suspense is a nice touch.
December 1, 2014
Good action and stunts. Good story.
October 13, 2014
After a 747 gets hijacked by a group of terrorist and has enough explosives to blow the whole eastern seaboard a group of soldiers get on board the plane to stop the terrorists and undetonate the bombs or the president has no other choice but to blow the plane up with the terrorists and 400 others on the plane. Loaded with tons of great actors and enough action and excitement this is definitely a great action movie. Star powered with the likes of Kurt Russell, Halle Berry, John Leguizamo, Oliver Platt, and even Steven Seagull are all on it this terrific and thrilling movie. movie's like these that are edge of your seat exciting and have action throughout it are the best. And this movie is the ticket if that is what you enjoy watching.
September 10, 2014
Thrilling and gripping with an original, yet forgettable, direction that's almost like "Die Hard 2" while the violence and overdone contents trying to lower down the film's level with almost a little success. (B+)

(Full review coming soon)
½ September 3, 2014
A fun, sometimes nonsensical, 90s action film.
½ August 31, 2014
My favorite "Die Hard" clone has Kurt Russell as the John McClane figure on a plane and trying to rescue it from terrorists. Ace action film editor Stuart Baird (working on everything from "Lethal Weapon" to "Skyfall") made his directorial debut with this film and went on to only direct two more films, which were equally good (The underrated sequel to "The Fugitive" "US Marshalls" and "Star Trek: Nemesis"), so I've always wondered why he didn't direct any others when these films were all solid action flicks that were commercially successful. The story is pretty simple. Terrorists take over a plane and plan to crash the plane in Washington DC, which is filled with a deadly gas bomb, but analysts Kurt Russell and special forces team leader Steven Seagal are snuck on board the plane (while still in flight) and then scheme to stop the terrorists. Halle Berry (back when I thought she was cool) and Marla Maples play flight attendants and John Leguizamo, Oliver Platt, Joe Morton, BD Wong play part of the team snuck on board the plane and J.T. Walsh plays a congressman on the plane. Jerry Goldsmith provides one of his masculine scores, this one reminded me a lot of his score to "Twilights Last Gleaming." Alex Thomson provided the crisp photography. The scrip is by Jim Thomas and John Thomas, who also wrote the original "Predator." The main weakness of the film is the final act of the film, which seemed unnecessary and made the film seem a bit overlong and something out of an old Airpot film. SPOILER ALERT! But I always thought the coolest part of this film was that Steven Segal, right at the peak of his popularity, appeared in this film as the films hero, but is quickly killed off, leaving Russell to take over the lead. This was a great bait and switch when the film was first released in theaters that is somewhat lost on people now, since Segal is nowhere on the film's cover art or even named in the credits. However, when the film was released in theaters, Segal was prominently featured in the previews and received equal space on the the film's theatrical poster, which made is a terrific surprise when he's killed off. This is a film that I always thought was something of an underrated action flick.