Executive Decision Reviews

• Jun 20, 2020

Really Aweful. I'd rather throw up repeatedly for 8 hours than sit through this shit factory of a film.

• Jun 04, 2020

Some great action and suspense in this movie. There are some great actors in this movie and there is also Steven Seagall too at least his character is limited in how much he is allowed to talk and his character is killed early.

• Feb 16, 2020

A cheap action thriller with more suspense than flair. Stuart Baird's action thriller Executive Decision (1996) is a poor man's Air Force One, but I did find it surprisingly suspenseful. Baird's direction is oddly gripping, especially once you get on the plane. The opening half hour is very slow, but once the special forces with Kurt Russell get on board, Executive Decision finds its stride. I think the CGI effects and green screen are laughably bad and horribly dated. If the plane is not a toy figure, then the green screen looks like a PS1 cutscene. Do not get me started on the embarrassing computer graphics for characters communicating via video chat technology. The gun shootouts are rare, but exciting. I think this movie is at its best during the bomb defusal or the camera placement sequences. They are a slow burn of rising tension and high stakes that feel very exciting. I wish they would have cut down the opening sequences, especially since Executive Decision is already 133 minutes long. Jim and John Thomas' script is awful with a cliche script about terrorists high-jacking a plane. We've all seen this type of action flick before, and there are few twists worth watching for except for the trigger man bit. Having 5 editors really killed this film. Their montages are terrible, especially an atrocious non-sequitur flashback near the beginning that is nonsensical. Everything cuts randomly towards the start and finally breathes once on the plane. Alex Thompson's cinematography has a few nice moments like looking down elevator shafts or gazing into a bomb's core, but it all feels very safe and stale. Jerry Goldsmith is reliable as ever with his bombastic score that keeps you engaged even during the boring segments of Executive Decision. I really like Kurt Russell in this as he's likable, but so in charge of the situation that you find him admirable. He's effortlessly cool as the action hero, but most interesting when he's leading the team with rational decision making like a real commander. It's awesome that the eternally lame Steven Seagal gets killed in a ridiculous way early on, so that you don't have to endure his bad acting for long. David Suchet makes an incredible dramatic turn as the terrorist villain in a cold and calculating portrayal. His rage and cunning are fearsome to behold in Executive Decision. Halle Berry is pretty as ever with her shortly cropped hair and genuine acting. She's really sympathetic in this one. John Leguizamo is fun as the tough soldier with a good heart. Oliver Platt is hilarious as a nerd and engineer. Joe Morton and BD Wong are excellent as the other soldiers. Everyone else in Executive Decision's cast is completely forgettable. In short, it's a fun action thriller like so many others. But where this one falters in the lack of action, it makes up for it in genuine suspense and good dramatic acting.

• Dec 21, 2019

Man Was this a damn good movie, this is the reason why I love watching Kurt Russel act every time he’s such a good actor and this must be his most underrated performance

• Nov 17, 2019

Just saw this on Netflix. Great movie, lots of action. My complaint....Netflix edited out when the terrorist said "true soldiers of Islam" and "strike into the heart of the infadel". Seriously! That needs to be edited? So we don't offend the delicate liberals???

• Feb 10, 2019

Don't understand why this has such a low audience rating on here. Yes it's been called die hard on a plane. Yes there's a surprise involving a main cast member early in the film that might have put some people off. It's well written, directed, acted and filmed. The suspense doesn't let up and you are kept on the edge of your seat until the final moments of the movie. In my opinion this is one of the most underrated action thrillers of the 90s. It deserves more recognition than it gets.

• Jan 02, 2018

A better than average mid-90s actioner

A better than average mid-90s actioner

• Oct 25, 2017

It was a entertaining hijack movie. The cast was solid and had great actors. The action scenes were solid but the overall plot of the movie was a bit ridiculous and it wasn’t as fast paced as I was think it would be. Still worth a watch.

• Jul 14, 2017

Executive Decision might as well be put in a time capsule for future folks to see as an example of a by the numbers 1990's action movie. There is nothing inherently wrong with this movie as it sets out to entertain and does, it just does really nothing more than exist as a means to put together an action movie. There are so many moments where the audience is ahead of the movie and I am sure they were in 96 too. Kurt Russell holds it down as always and leads a crew of action lugheads and doofuses in trying to save the day. And there is Steven Segal in a small role, which is probably one of the coolest things that he did next to Machete. This works as a mindless action movie bursting with generic formula but it isn't bad.

• Apr 09, 2017

Seriously underrated film, from beginning to end, you get yourself immersed into it. Yes, it has some cheesy lines and someone says the film's title at some point but didn't we all enjoy those things back in the 90s? Definitely a must see!