The Family Man Reviews

• Sep 18, 2019

One of our all-time favorites that we re-watch at least once a year or catch partial 'glimpses' on cable. Great musical score and definitely under-rated by critics as it has several original aspects and is not just another Wonderful Life or Christmas Carol. The "I choose us" theme being just one example. Highly recommend for anyone married or in a relationship who's over 30 and/or has wondered what their priorities should be in life.

• Mar 28, 2019

One of my Top 20 Favorite movies of all-time. I'll never understand the low critics' ratings. This movie is funny, poignant, and magical.

• Dec 29, 2018

I hadn't seen this one in a while -- we used to watch it every year, then it kind of fell off our list. I had forgotten how enjoyable it was. Watch it as a modern take on "A Christmas Carol" or "It's a Wonderful Life," and you'll enjoy it. (Aside: The one small flaw I found with it was the whole "I'll take our children out of the only home they've ever known" speech toward the end -- it's a house, woman! Get over it. That was a line crossed that felt more unrealistic than the whole movie's premise.)

• Dec 21, 2018

"The Family Man" seems to attempt to follow a pretty typical holiday movie formula, but somehow isn't as good as other movies in its genre. I think this is mostly due to the story being inconsistently paces and the awkward moments and dialogue. The movie comes off as very cheesy and is hard to take seriously for a lot of the time. I think it means well and of course it has positive messages, but the execution is pretty mediocre here. Some of the moments in the movie came off as laughable when it felt like that wasn't the intention. I think it's a movie that probably could have been decent with a better script and performances but instead ends up being pretty bland and forgettable.

• Dec 21, 2018

A sweet feel good movie.

A sweet feel good movie.

• Dec 16, 2018

Love this movie. Great cast, super funny!!

Love this movie. Great cast, super funny!!

• Dec 15, 2018

Predictable and personally I don't see this movie as a comedy. Nicolas Cage going crazy allows for laughs sure but I didn't find it hilarious. However, I still thought The Family Man was a good Christmas(?) movie. Cage and Tea Leoni have great chemistry, Cage's character goes through plenty of character development and the movie comes off as quite poignant. Is The Family Man a Christmas classic? Maybe not. But is it sentimental and touching? Yes. I guess that how much you like this movie, depends on whether or not you view Brett Ratner as the devil's second-in-command...before the sexual misconduct accusations.

• Dec 06, 2018

Definitely in the top 5 Christmas movies for me.

Definitely in the top 5 Christmas movies for me.

• Nov 10, 2018

I think this film is very well done. a modern version of "a christmas carol" that people can easily relate to. Even more so than "it's a wonderful life."

• Nov 03, 2018

This is a classic holiday film comparable to "its a wonderful life". Yes, it's a sentimental. It also humorous with many great lines. It makes you think about the choices you've made in life, and what's really important. My wife and I have watched this movie almost every year since it was first released, and we typically do not watch movies more than once. This is a timeless classic that never gets old.