A Far Off Place Reviews

• Aug 03, 2018

good family movie of determination and perseverance

good family movie of determination and perseverance

• Jul 24, 2016

The Kalahari adventure! If you are a Disney live-action film fan, you won't disappoint with it. It comes between the regular Disney films and Disney nature films. It sets in somewhere in the Namibia and takes us with to a great adventure which is more like a documentary film than a film with a story. Actually, there was a small story, mostly on the opening and the end part and the rest of the film was a foot journey like 'The Way Back'. Based on the book of the same name about a girl and a boy who team up with a bushman to cross the Kalahari desert after their family was attacked by the poachers. I did not know anything about it, so I expected nothing. But I thought of 'The Gods Must be Crazy', since it is not a comedy, I prepared for something new. I really liked the film, but not that much. Spectacular African landscapes, and awesome performances by everyone. I would have loved it if a few more wild animals participated in it, after all African flavour means that's what we all anticipate, especially the children. So from that perspective, it is slightly a disappointment, but not much. Other than that it is a fine family film from a trusted production house. 6.5/10

• Nov 25, 2015

Haven't seen this in forever, and wouldn't mind revisiting a flick like A Far Off Place again! It was a box office bomb in the early 90's, but it couldn't have been that horrible, eh?

• Oct 25, 2014

This film sets itself apart from other Disney films, with its cinematic, yet untouched view of the African wild and at the same time shows a degree of brutality that makes the film's characters both interesting and their futures unpredictable. It is not often that actors so young can make characters entertaining yet mature. this is a film not only for children but for adults also.

• Oct 13, 2014

Interesting to see Reese as a teenager. Many disconnects in this movie however it is entertaining. Loved seeing Jack Thompson with his distinctive voice that I immediately identified as Clancy.

• Dec 18, 2013

Great family friendly film

Great family friendly film

• May 15, 2013

Very loosely based on a pair of books by Laurens Van der Post, this Disney production involves two teenage strangers who must make a perilous journey across the Kalamari desert after their parents are murdered by poachers. They are aided by a kindly bushman, who teaches them how to survive, and naturally, helps the two endure a relationship. A FAR OFF PLACE benefits from breathtaking cinematography which show off the African landscape with stunning flair. (Incidentally, the film is directed by Oscar-nominated cinematographer Mikael Salomon, which explains the aforementioned visuals.) The performances are also very good, particularly Sarel Bok as the kind bushman, Maximillian Schell as a heroic anti-poaching soldier, and Reese Witherspoon as the lead character (and arguably more appealing) of the leads. There's plenty of funny moments and scenes in which the characters receive help from elephants, learn to kill for food, and survive hazards such as sandstorms, bloodhounds and scorpions which are quite exciting. That said, A FAR OFF PLACE is also surprisingly violent for a children's film, particularly one from Disney. In the first five minutes, a herd of elephants are gunned down and their tusks are sawed off--a scene which will traumatize youngsters. And then of course, the children discover that their parents are killed. Is this movie for children? Probably not, but anyone older should be fine with it.

• Feb 24, 2013

Baby Ethan Embry!! I loved this movie when I was a kid. This one and Cheetah.

Baby Ethan Embry!! I loved this movie when I was a kid. This one and Cheetah.

• Jul 23, 2012

A Wonderful Movie. Saw it when I was little. Ethan Embrey is a great in this movie.

• Mar 25, 2012