Jet Li's Fearless (Huo Yuan Jia) (Legend of a Fighter) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jet Li's Fearless (Huo Yuan Jia) (Legend of a Fighter) Reviews

½ September 19, 2016
When I decide to watch a martial arts flick, I'm sometimes a bit hesitant on whether it's just going to be another silly action picture or actually have some panache to it, well 'Fearless' was definitely the latter. A biographical flick on China's Huo Yuanjia. 'Fearless' is a stunning and thoughtful film that focuses on the drama-side of the story, but equally showcases some of the finest martial arts action sequences in recent years. I was rather surprised by how much I enjoyed this film, it was just a random DVD I grabbed off a shelf, but nonetheless it felt like a rather rewarding experience, becoming educated about a hero of the Chinese dynasty.
½ July 13, 2016
Beautifully choreographed, with some terrific action and solid acting. Jet Li gets to play a character who develops throughout the plot, and is more much more emotionally and morally complex than his typical "human-weapon-machine" role in past American films.
December 27, 2015
Not bad. A bit cheesy at times but mostly fun times.
December 26, 2015
Director's cut is much better than the theatrical release.
December 8, 2015
Basically the story line is nothing new & cliched indeed.
But the screenplay was properly written, despite preachy, which is kinda rarely seen in the Kung Fu genre before.
Jet Li has also shown different faces of his character (in his acting) eventually.
½ June 24, 2015
it's slow... but a good film about the wushu creator.
May 1, 2015
I love this movie! One of my favourites for sure. Great action scenes and amazing story! One of Jet Li's best!
April 14, 2015
A better than decent addition to period far-east martial arts moves comes this offering from legend Jet Li. Films such as this need more than just a couple of good fights to be anything worth a look, and I'm glad to report this has. The plot is basic stuff, yet it's still a well told tale of revenge and regret. The fights themselves are really well done with finely choreographed set-pieces that although push the realms of reality are still very enjoyable to watch. Overall this has all the most important bases covered: it's well made, the performances are good enough, the action works, and this has a compelling plot with a fair amount of soul and passion running through.
March 17, 2015
I thought the movie was incredibly inspirational and carried a deep meaning about discipline and self control...kudos to Jet Li and the rest of the team for making a wonderful movie
January 20, 2015
Quite possibly Jet Li's finest film.
January 3, 2015
Yeah, well I'm Fearful. Fearful of yet, ANOTHER Jet li martial arts movie.
January 3, 2015
Yeah, well I'm Fearful. Fearful of yet, ANOTHER Jet li martial arts movie.
January 2, 2015
To bad this is Jet Li's last martial movie although his earlier movies are better like Hero etc. but worth seeing :)
December 18, 2014
This movie almost reminds me of Jet Li's martial arts classic "Hero", but it's clearly not as appealing or moving. Then again, this is one of those cases where I find it rather hard to put myself in the shoes the main character. The plot is, of course, based on historical events, but given that it's from a nationalistic perspective, the story tends to present foreigners in a somewhat caricatured fashion (I might also like to point out that there's a scene where there are English subtitles even though the characters in the scene speak in English). All jarring aspects of the story aside, the performances are actually quite good, even if they're not as great as they could have been. The film's production values, meanwhile, are quite good, and the highlight of the movie will undoubtedly be its well-choreographed fight scenes, which any fan of Jet Li is sure to appreciate. To summarize, the storytelling may be a little sketchy, but the fight choreography will more than make up for it, even if the fight scenes aren't always fresh.
December 7, 2014
One of the greatest movie achievements ever. A future martial arts historical figure playing a past one. A movie with the deep beauty and esthetics of Zhang Yimou's "Hero" with the real feel of Tsui Hark's "One Upon A Time In China". Even though I've seen hundreds of these types of movies, seeing this one makes me feel as if it's my first time seeing "Crouching Tiger" or "Iron Monkey" and I become a kid again. Between the action, visuals, and most importantly the message, this is a movie that can not be surpassed.
November 6, 2014
Fearless is a bittersweet ending to Jet Li's epic martial arts movies until he's in American films now. I thought the plot at first was terrible and just seem as an excuse to make the fights, but it gets better at the middle and the end even though it makes the premise simple. As for the fights, they are energetic and just fantastic. This is my first time watching a Chinese film with Jet Li, so hearing him talk in Chinese sounds weird, but it started to warm up to me. It does have emotional moments that really make you feel bad. You learn a lot about the main character, despite the fact that's like other characters even though it's based on a true story. Fearless is a great film that Chinese fans are going to like.
½ September 27, 2014
Yes! Jet Li's movies are insane, and this should be no different.
July 30, 2014
Fearless is quite incredible. Great action, and great story. A must watch.
July 21, 2014
Ending was really unexpected
July 13, 2014
Jet's best on screen performance ever...we see a lot more on screen than just senseless fighting Jet really goes into depth with the character he plays...loved this movie, this easily goes in my top 3 favorite films he stars in, Fist of Legend being my number 1 and a tie between this and Black Mask. Jet is definitely the #1 martial arts action movie star of my time for me & he's a legitimate martial arts champion in his Country, Donnie Yen is my #2 and Jackie Chan my #3