Felicia's Journey - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Felicia's Journey Reviews

June 6, 2014
Bob Hoskins is in top form as Joe Hilditch in Atom Egoyan's haunting thriller.
April 30, 2014
Bob Hoskins does things here that you'll never forget.
February 10, 2014
Enjoyed this film but I felt the ending could have been better. Worth seeing just to hear Bob Hoskins doing a Brummie accent! 3 stars from me.
September 8, 2013
A gripping look into the mind of a serial killer with a riveting performance by Bob Hoskins and adroit direction by Atom Egoyan. Elaine Cassidy gives a touchingly beautiful quality to a film that shows the human need for love and companionship as the motive for horrendous crime committed by a man with a fragile psyche. Can a film evoke chills and sympathy for the same character? This one does, and does it successfully.
½ July 21, 2013
Not only is this complex & creepy 90's thriller worth watching , but the DVD's audio commentary by director Atom Egoyon actually enhances the film after you've watched it
November 15, 2012
One of Bob Hoskins' best roles.
½ November 13, 2012
Great film from Egoyan & Hoskins. Truely chilling.
½ October 21, 2012
Excellent psychological portrait--Mesmerising!!
Critique Threatt
½ August 8, 2012
Creepy and fascinating especially the Bob Hoskins character. He is a lonely man who is a professinal cook and a serial killer. There is also the Elaine Cassidy character who found out that she is pregnant and goes to Ireland to find her bf (who left to go find work) since he is the one responsible for getting her pregnant. Hilditch(Hoskins) and Felicia(Cassidy) meet unexpectedly and this is where Atom Egoyan goes into his fav filmmaking trademark. Exploring themes of isolated, alienated charcters dealing with loss, grief, guilt, despair and a non linear story arc.

The last scene of the film felt a slight disappointing but I still felt this picture is p work from Atom Egoyan. After Egoyan's "Exotica", and "The Sweet Hereafter", "Felicia's Journey" imo is a near masterpiece.
½ May 13, 2012
very interesting display
April 15, 2012
good low key thriller
½ March 29, 2012
Felicia's really long, really boring journey.
March 14, 2012
An elegant plot, well written and directed with some interesting pieces of industrial landscape as a backdrop. But not our type of film - we don't really go for films about weird serial killers. Sorry to give away the plot - though if I'd known what it was I shouldn't have bothered recording it. If you like Egoyan doing sub-Hitchcockian psychobabble implausible then this is for you. Full marks to Hoskins for doing Brum, and to Elaine Cassidy for naive Irish girl.
½ January 5, 2012
This movie is genuinely terrifying. Anyone who truly observes Hoskins' portrayal of a troubled serial killer will come away from this film mesmerized and horrified by its realism.
September 12, 2011
The film may not be without a few flaws and fallacies, but it is certainly prepared with as much relish and precision as the wonderfully-layered central character's own dishes. Perhaps more so than that however, what I love about this film is its ability to articulate a certain facet of life's inner workings. One, that I have also repeatedly found to be true. Life's ability to take a series of truly awful situations and crush them into some sort of genuine diamond. It's ability to combine the utter bewilderment pertaining to completely different individuals, in just such a way that at least one of them ends up seeing an otherwise invisible truth. Or manages to avoid an otherwise imminent danger. Or both. Though this point doesn't go without being slightly muffled here, ultimately, this is still one of the clearest cinematic illustrations of it, that I've ever seen. This alone is well worth the price of admission.
June 28, 2011
Tuesday, June 28, 2011

(1999) Felicia's Journey
PSYCHOLOGICAL THRILLER

Bob Hoskins plays a peculiar chef who has a dark pass, and comes across a hitch hiker travelling to the UK from somewhere in Ireland, Felicia played by Elaine Cassidy asking around for her brother's business or place of work which is some sort of a lawn mower company instead of checking the yellow pages or asking some officer on the beat! And as the film progresses each of the two main characters has a new revealation who eventually coincide with one another with of course the Bob Hoskins character as the more sinister one!

The film dwells too much on it's two main characters of Joe and Felicia and it doesn't really go anywhere leaving more questions than answers! Story taken from the William Trevor novel!

2 out of 4
½ April 3, 2011
I realized about halfway through this movie that I had seen it before, though I still couldn't tell you what was going to happen next. Felicia's Journey is that kind of movie. You will enjoy it for 111 minutes, then totally forget it. It's not a thriller or a serial killer movie; just a little character study that never totally engages the audience. I'll probably forget and watch this one again in ten years after they change the cover again.
September 19, 2010
Amazing film, highly recommended viewing.
August 31, 2010
Unsettling voyage into the lonely criminal mind, and dark recesses that live by their own twisted logic. Creepy. Do not watch if you have children.
½ March 14, 2010
Creepy and fascinating especially the Bob Hoskins character. He is a lonely man who is a professinal cook and a serial killer. There is also the Elaine Cassidy character who found out that she is preganant and goes to Ireland to find her bf (who left to go find work) got her pregnant. Hilditch(Hoskins) and Felicia(Cassidy) meet where thesese two are seen as isolated, alienated charcter dealing with loss, grief, guilt, and despair.

The last scene of the film felt a bit disappointing with the Jamacian woman preching to Hilditch about Jesus just when he is about to burry Felicia by the front lawn. The emotion left from inside my body really quick but Egoyan's film never bores. After Egoyan's Exotica, and The Sweet Hereafter Felicia's Journey sadly doesn't get the masterpiece ranking that it deserves.