First Blood - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

First Blood Reviews

June 1, 2018
Damn. I really wasn't ready for that ending. I'm not gonna lie, I shed a few tears. Besides that, this movie is a fantastic action romp. Definitely going on my "watch anytime and enjoy" list. The stunts are pretty nuts, too.
½ May 16, 2018
A terrific action movie that wears its heart on its sleeve. Stallone serves up his best performance since Rocky as a Vietnam Vet that society has disregarded. The story of a troubled drifter trying to find his place in the world and reconcile with his violent past is handled really well and still strikes a cord today.
Rambo never actually kills anybody directly, this film is more of a survival movie with the police as the antagonists, representing the system and Rambo refusing to bend to their will.
Far superior to the cartoonist sequel that came after.
April 18, 2018
A stone-cold classic. I didn't see it until later and was wary of the "Rambo" reputation in so many lesser films. When I saw it, I realized it was one of the best films (let alone action films) of all-time. Simultaneously sympathetic and cunningly intelligent, it is no wonder that so many people tried to imitate it.
April 11, 2018
One of the best action films ever. Despite what people remember the character of Rambo as, the original film is a proper post-Vietnam thriller, reflecting the anxiety and conflict felt in the US after the war in the late '70s. It's also way ahead of its time - even today you'd see some backlash if a film was made where the police were essentially the villains. Gritty and emotional, First Blood deserves to be seperated from the sillieness the Rambo series eventually become.
April 11, 2018
Great movie with a great story and an awesome performance by Stallone. Classic iconic movie 4/5
½ March 10, 2018
A Classic Action Movie
½ March 5, 2018
An awesome action packed movie with great special effects for that time.
February 25, 2018
Even when watched today it's still a good action flick. For that time, it was amazing. Stallone carries the movie on his back, doing a stellar job of acting the part. It's the story of survival of one man against hundreds, in the town and in the forest.
½ January 25, 2018
this is Sylvester Stallone at his best! the acting in this story about a broken war hero coming back to another fight is outstanding
after coming home from Vietnam to visit a friend who he later finds out died John Rambo wants to head north but the sheriff in town tells him otherwise believing he's a deserter and wants him out
then the movie turns into a full-on chase/manhunt for Rambo as he constantly evades the authorities using his advance training and combat skills
the Colonel who trained him comes in to fully describe what kind of soldier they're dealing with but it doesn't stop there
this film doesn't shy away from showing how broken a man truly becomes after finishing the mission; what does he have to come home to after being such an expert in the field with weapons, assassinations, and working with others? the real problems are the losses, the trauma, the blood on one's hands, and that people like him are treated severely different by others
Rambo like others had a job to do; some call him a hero, while others dislike him for killing in the first place for the good of our country
in this town they draw first blood and that makes him spiral out of control reliving the painful memories of his past
I love how brutal this story is, the action is fierce, the pace is quick, the music is sharp, and there's plenty of mixed politics about war, veterans, and the damage that's left behind which never goes away
just skip the other sequels, this is the 'Rambo' film to sit back and enjoy
January 11, 2018
Five stars for this multilayered classic, wonderful movie...
January 4, 2018
re review: the reason why rambo is one of my favorite action heroes is because he can beat the tar out of a bunch of corrupt policemen and still avoid killing. i respect the director for making an action movie in the 80's (where a high body count was a cliche) by going against the norm and tries to do his own thing instead of other movies from this time period where to hero is a cold blooded killer. if he isn't the greatest action hero of the 80's he certainly is the most honorable even if the sequels decided to make him a killer much to my dismay..
December 22, 2017
brilliant post Vietnam veteran with sly starring as a PTSD soldier who will not take orders against stubborn police officers in a small town, solid 1980s action/drama.
½ November 24, 2017
To many, Sylvester Stallone is an easy target: he looks like a boxer well past his prime. In actuality, he's an incredibly talented filmmaker, and in this case, an actor. First Blood is essentially a commentary on the state of American war veterans after they were withdrawn from Vietnam. They were largely neglected upon their return, and were often called "baby killers" for what the American citizens presumed was a part of their duties. It follows John J. Rambo, a Vietnam war veteran searching for one of his old comrades. Upon learning his fate, Rambo walks through a small town in Washington state, and crosses paths with a vicious and hateful sheriff. One thing leads to another, and Rambo is being chased by local police, state police, and The National Guard. Leading this pack is his old colonel, Sam Trautman: the only man with a chance of saving the armed forces from Rambo. The tension that builds between Rambo and the police department in the first act sets the stage for a nail biting action film. Stallone performed almost all of the stunts, including one in which he jumps off a cliff and is halted by a series of branches. It was during this sequence that Stallone actually broke his ribs. The finale contains one of my favorite movie monologues ever, and it's delivered with such strong emotion and heart; this is direct evidence that Stallone can not only look the part, but he can play the part as well. First Blood is one of the best action movies ever made, and it's elevated by Stallone's versatile and all-in performance. When Rambo meets the sheriff again face-to-face, he tells him "in town you're the law, but out here it's me." The same can be said about his abilities as an actor, and he has every right to say it off camera as he does on camera.
November 17, 2017
This film is such a classic action film and I love it every minute of it. I love 70 and 80 action film that this one is awesome this guy name John Rambo in the film just want something to eat but sooner later things go very bad and he has to fight the police to make a point but overall damn good film what a classic.
November 1, 2017
This is by far the best action movie ever with the best actor ever the man Sylvester Stallone! I love this movie! An action classic!
October 20, 2017
My partner is on a mission to convince me that 80's action movies have far superior storytelling than modern ones, and dammit, he's totally right. This PTSD character study is spectacular. I think it's best if I just leave Rambo here and skip the sequels that will probably destroy his theory.
October 1, 2017
Five stars hands down and I was also pleasantly surprised that the 2008 Rambo was terrific!
½ September 19, 2017
If I had too list my top 5 favorite movies, First Blood would have to rank #3. Stallone in this movie, thats mostly a drama, is great even though he doesn't speak much. Just the look on his face tells the story of a beaten and battered veteran. Just awesome and amazing is all I can say.
½ August 21, 2017
I have seen portions of this film before but never together so I decided to give it a go.
It is 1982 and Vietnam war hero John Rambo seems to be minding his own business in the north U.S.A. (filmed in Canada) when he is systematically targeted by some local redneck Sheriffs led by Brian Denehy as Teasle, arrested on a trumped up charge and threatened with 90 days jailtime.
What these police don't realise is that they are messing with the wrong guy. Rambo is a decorated Green Beret awarded the Congressional Medal of Honour.
What follows over the next hour or so is a war against one man psychologically damaged perhaps by his Vietnam War experiences.
Only a smug senior army commander played brilliantly by Richard Crenna can get at the psyche of Rambo and stop the inevitable destruction and death.
Director Ted Kotcheff delivers Stallone's second most famous character after Rocky Balboa to the screen in an action thriller that would go on to multiple sequels.
Stallone is at his muscle bound best before his mangling in the late nineties made him an Expendable laughing stock.
Anything that Bruce Willis and Schwarzenegger would do in the eighties Stallone manages here with some great action sequences of combat and survival skills.
One thing that did catch my attention was quite trivial (which goes a long way to explain my film watching).
How do American police cars in this type of film manage to drive through the forest terrain?
Back to the film. Stallone delivers a testosterone filled thriller.
August 18, 2017
This film is awesome. Not just because of the incredible action, not just because of the thrills and Drama, but because of the immense emotional impact that the film, and especially Stallone, evokes. This could be his best film. it's a shame about the sequels, which were just average.