Fist Fight Reviews

• Feb 15, 2021

In addition to the jokes that did not have the expected effect, even with a very funny cast, their events make the fight and comedy scenes less than the audience needs or would like to know.

• Jun 10, 2020

I have so many problems with Fist Fight that it’s going to be hard to talk about them all. First and foremost, Charlie Day (and his character by extension) is HORRIBLE in this film. He comes off as the most unlikeable, weaselly, annoying, and downright moronic human being on the planet. I think some part of the film is asking us to feel bad for him, and root for him to avoid the beating he will receive, but I wanted to punch him in the face more than Ice Cube’s character. In fact, the film might be more tolerable if you just look at Ice Cube as the protagonist, and root for him to come out on top. This proves to be difficult though, because his character in the film is also problematic, but more on that later. The steps that Charlie Day takes in order to avoid his beatdown are downright evil, including at least one felony, and he also wastes enough money that he will put his family in a worse financial position than they would have been if he had just lost his job in the first place. To make matters worse he is raising kids, and the biggest scene with his daughter shows that he is influencing her to become just as bad as him. The comedy all fell flat for me. I don’t know if there was a single well-constructed joke in the entire film. Instead it relies on “wacky” characters saying inappropriate things to try to shock us into laughter. Worst of the bunch was Jillian Bell who has a full running gag about wanting to rape the students. The movie seems to take a weird stance on bullying, and implies that being afraid of physical assault as an adult male is laughable. Then the cherry on top of this crap-filled sundae is that it furthers negative portrayals of black men as scary, dangerous thugs. Watching it at this moment in time just made it stand out even more that Fist Fight is highlighting one aspect of the failure in our country to overcome racism and inequality. By presenting Ice Cube as this big frightening black man who can’t control his temper and wants to hurt the poor little white guy, it made my skin crawl, because this is the kind of stereotype that is programmed into us and which leads to our ongoing battle with discrimination. Needless to say, Fist Fight is a despicable film, and one I would encourage others to avoid at all cost.

• May 28, 2020

This isn't a movie, it's one of those viral challenges. You have to try to find a story beyond the cussing and anatomy "jokes"

• May 02, 2020

OK nice and all, but this movie already existed, 30 years before--It is called "Three O'Clock high" (1987). Andy Campbell is Jerry Mitchell, Ron Strickland is Buddy Revell. Anyways, here is some criticism: a) Seriously, Hollywood. What is it with casting Black people as villains?! b) The storyline only works, when its kids, adolescents, or young adults, NOT grown men. But some ups: Campbell's daughter's rendition of "I don't $#@$ with you" by Big Sean was hilarious--Lesson to all bullies: You mess with the bull, you get the horns...Right to the face!

• Apr 10, 2020

Ron Strickland (Ice Cube) is pretty funny throughout this movie but his funny humor doesn't carry the movie to being good.

• Feb 12, 2020

If we're ranking this a comedy, (which is what we should be doing) and not a big meaning , no mistake movie, this was a pretty good movie full of laughs.

• Feb 12, 2020

The Movie Was Just Terrible , Just Awful👎🤬😠

The Movie Was Just Terrible , Just Awful👎🤬😠

• Jan 20, 2020

Ice Cube could’ve kept this entire movie on the cutting room floor. Definitely won’t watch this one a second time.

• Dec 23, 2019

The only thing that keeps this movie afloat was the performance by Charlie Day. I am a big fan of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia and, therefore, a big fan of Day. The plot is not very interesting and the supporting cast is very weak. Lots of cheap jokes that prevent the movie from being legitimately funny. Ice Cube is somewhat entertaining to watch because of his psychopathic tendencies through the movie, but I would recommend avoiding this movie.

• Dec 16, 2019

This is something of a guilty pleasure, but I enjoyed this movie. It is utterly farcical, don't expect any genuine redemption, although an attempt is made to portray a positive resolution.