The Five Pennies Reviews

• 2d ago

This is an odd one. I look back on 'The Five Pennies' in two parts. The first half of the film is uninteresting and slow, but once the story gets set and the second half comes to fruition it turns into something rather touching - which I didn't expect at all. By the end, I felt truly attached to the characters and their story - but that's weird, given how I didn't enjoy the early stages. Danny Kaye is very good in the lead role of Red, especially towards the end. Susan Gordon (Dorothy, as a kid) impressed me a bunch, she has one fantastic poker scene with Kaye. Barbara Bel Geddes, meanwhile, plays the role of Willa well. The film, a loose biopic on the real Red Nichols, is music-heavy. Early on I think that affects things from a film point of view, but you can at least tell the cast - particularly Kaye and Louis Armstrong (as himself) - are having a fun time. Overall, I think it's lovely - but I can't recall a film that's split my feelings from start-to-finish as much as this did.

• Jul 20, 2020

It's script is a bit of a mess, but the acting is good.

It's script is a bit of a mess, but the acting is good.

• Jun 29, 2019

Makes me cry every time

Makes me cry every time

• May 27, 2018

Danny Kaye as jazz legend Red Nichols (Nichols himself dubbed Kaye's cornet playing) in this overly sentimental biopic; the movie comes to life in the musical interludes, especially Kaye's duet with Louis Armstrong to "When the Saints Go Marching In." The title song was nominated for an Oscar.

• Jul 05, 2015

The 5 pennies is my all time favourite movie . laughter to tears , jazz to ragtime . cameos by Louis and others portraying the greats of music in that golden era . Tuesday Weld plays it well , she walks !!! tears fall . best scene is when Danny sings Lullabye in Ragtime to his daughter , great cast , great movie , Danny Kaye's best role n my opinion over The Court Jester . one movie you have to see in your lifetime ,

• Aug 22, 2014

Beautiful and touching. Danny Kaye and Louis Armstrong are brilliant in this film. It holds up very well and the music is out of this world!

• Apr 12, 2013

Little known biopic of Loring 'Red' Nicholls, successful cornet player in 1930's America. Brilliant lead performance by Danny Kaye. The story is funny, sad, quietly heroic, with some great musical numbers. I love it!

• Nov 20, 2012

Probably my favourite film - funny, sad, excellent music, emotional but positive ending!

• Aug 18, 2012

A beautifully made classic centered around a man wanting to be a great musician & a great family man and his battles in order to do so. Danny Kaye was truly a sensation... a brilliant musician & entertainer but often not praised enough for his comic timing & the most underrated quality his ability as a dramatic actor. This is a beautiful story saturated with fantastic music & gorgeous style, the colors in this film where exquisite. This was quite a detailed plot & had quite a few touching & sad moments in tact. I was quite impressed solid film...

• Apr 29, 2012

Danny Kaye is amazing. The songs are great.

Danny Kaye is amazing. The songs are great.