The Flamingo Kid Reviews

• Apr 26, 2017

Awesome soundtrack, good story.

Awesome soundtrack, good story.

• Jul 19, 2016

A great cast in Dillon, Elizonda and Richard "the balls" Crenna. Soundtrack is immense with The Chiffon's, Martha and the Vandellas, The Impressions and The Shilhouettes.

• Aug 09, 2015

A great movie about coming of age one summer. Matt Dillon's performance is sterling, with great supporting characters and performances. Well written, great details to setting, and an important reminder in what makes a good person.

• Apr 13, 2015

Even if the material is a bit chewy the performances are not especially Dillon.

Even if the material is a bit chewy the performances are not especially Dillon.

• Mar 23, 2015

good com-dram from Penny Marshall's brother, Garry.

good com-dram from Penny Marshall's brother, Garry.

• Jan 27, 2015

The Flamingo Kid deals with a Brooklyn kid who lands a summer job at a luxurious beach club and learns a great deal of things that changes his outlook on life. Summer isn't forever though, and he soon learns how naive he may have been. The film has a very simple message, where what you do with your life can be anything, but who you trust your life with is very crucial. Jeffrey is a kid who's never had a lot and finds himself bonding with a wealthy club co-owner who he believes can offer him more than what his father wanted for him. It doesn't go as he planned and he learns that there's no shortcuts to success without tampering with morale, and that hard work ethic is what counts, not social class. When you desire something so much, you'll do or believe anything to the point that it blinds you, and its only through your own mistakes and wrong turns that you learn what is really right, and that the people who you opposed for trying to stop you really had your back all along. The Flamingo Kid reminds me of a time that was simpler, but also not as you had to trust your own gut and rely on street smarts. You never quite know what is right or wrong till something hits ya, but isn't that what makes life mysterious and interesting? Perhaps I'm overbloating the film for more than it is, but it does bring on a good vibe. Recommend this film.

• Nov 10, 2013

If it wasn't for Matt Dillon, this would have been a total loss! He brings the film up to a passable level, but the overall story is dull and unfunny. Not sure what the point of this movie was but I am sure that I don't really care.

• Sep 07, 2013

(***): [img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/icons/icon14.gif[/img] Well-acted and funny.

• Aj V Super Reviewer
    Mar 24, 2013

I don't know if it's because I'm not a fan of Dillon like some other people who reviewed this film, but I didn't think his performance was so great. I just couldn't get into this movie, and found it boring.

• Jan 21, 2013

Matt Dillon is terrific in this low-key summer vacation comedy. While the film itself might be rough around the edges, the actors are so appealing that we forgive its flaws.