Flirtation Walk Reviews

• Oct 06, 2020

Movie hasn't aged well (ie comedy that women are in the military or in charge of men). I did like the beginning Hawaiian Luau scene and Hawaiian cinematography, but that was about it. The plot was so obvi and dumb. The rest of the scenes/plot are forgettable and the humor dull. Also, movie had no subtitles which is my pet peeve esp w/ old movies that have bad acoustics/outdated sayings to begin with. This is a classic I'd say to skip as its easily forgettable.

• Jul 23, 2020

Not enough plot for me.

Not enough plot for me.

• Apr 18, 2019

Flirtation Walk admittedly is amusing in its second half with some solid character interactions and musical numbers, but it came too late in the game as the first half was way too dull and uneventful. The structure is odd as the first half is devoid of music and then suddenly the movie turns into a musical. It's a well acted, okay flick, but at the end of the day it's a big disappointment from usually great Frank Borzage.

• Dec 10, 2017

Flirtation Walk is an okay film. It is about a a private stationed in Hawaii who gets involved with the general's daughter. Dick Powell and Ruby Keeler give decent performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. Frank Borzage did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the music and romance.

• Nov 07, 2014

This was a big hit in 1934, mostly because of the popularity at the time of Powell & Keeler; it's plodding and predictable by today's standards. Introduces the song hits "Mr. and Mrs. Is the Name" and the title tune.

• Mar 15, 2014

I didn't realize by calling this a musical they meant "lots and lots and lots of marching and marching songs," the other musical elements are barely covered, and makes it really boring. Dick Powell is just annoying and kind of a...dick. Ruby Keeler deserves much better material, unfortunately after her banner year of 1933 (Gold Diggers, 42nd Street, Footlight Parade - amazing year) she never seemed to get it again.

John B Super Reviewer
    Aug 27, 2013

I think there is a reason that this isn't shown very often. There is also a reason why it easily gets a G rating. There is nothing to offend anyone nor is there anything to keep someone interested. A dull little tale.

• Mar 01, 2012

powell and keller reunite in yet another musical (like 42nd street goldiggers,etc) with mixed results

• Feb 17, 2011

A cliché ridden script, but with enough good fun, song and dance to make it worthwhile. Dick Powell is Dick Dorcy, a private in Uncle Sam's army. His superior is Sgt. Scrapper Thornhill (Pat O'Brien) who is a father figure to Dick. Then along comes the girl, the daughter of a General no less, and Dick is asked to take her out and the two fall in love. But this is a scandal and then there is the other man she should marry... But Dick, so smitten, tries his hand at West Point to become an officer himself. The usual hijinks follow. Nicely done, but lesser of the early 30s musicals that still scored a Best Picture nomination.

• May 23, 2010

Cute film starring Ruby Keeler and Dick Powell. The West Point stuff was interesting, and though it drags a bit the romantic story is nice.