Free Willy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Free Willy Reviews

February 1, 2019
The best inspiring movie ever made!
January 24, 2019
Perhaps the best reason to see Free Willy on the big screen is the photography. Both underwater and above-the-surface scenes are filmed with style, and much of the impact will be lost in a television picture. The special effects are good -- it's almost impossible to tell where the real whales end and the mechanical ones begin. Another asset are the actors. Jason James Richter does a credible job as Jesse. This may be his first film, but you can't tell from the polished performance he gives. Lori Petty's Rae is every bit as strong and capable as any of the men in this picture. Message or not, Free Willy is one of only a handful of non-Disney titles worth considering for a family movie outing.
January 21, 2019
December 20, 2018
One For The Kids...Yay!! He Saves Willy...But It's All Just Pretend. But Who Cares Yeah?? Whales Held In Captivity Against There Will Is Always Gonna Be A Winner, With A Bangin' Michael Jackson Tune At The End To Help Us All Forget About How Terrible Humans Can Be At 'Caring' For Wild Animals.
½ October 20, 2018
A nostalgic triumph. It has aged a little, but anybody who grew up with it in the nineties will still find delight in it. (First viewing - Childhood)
April 22, 2018
Very good show from the beginning to the end the family friendly love and compassion its also funny I loved this show ever sence I was a little kid I recommend everyone to see it A+rateing
March 19, 2018
It is a display of the true meaning of friendship. Nice movie as a whole.
February 16, 2018
Just a test to see if RT is blocking review creation for Black Panther.
½ February 14, 2018
Just terrible. As has been said, basically a Lassie with whales only sillier.
December 13, 2017
I THINK FREE WILLY'S A GOOD MOVIE BECAUSE I SING THE MOVIE SONG COVER OF MICHAEL JACKSON'S "WILL YOU BE THERE" (THEME FROM "FREE WILLY"), BUT IT'S AMAZING.
September 2, 2017
So not one of my favorite movies but the music was good I thought and hay the beginning of the movie with the whales jumping and splashing in the water those were pretty cool graphics hay it looked so real. But far as the movie not my favorite
August 17, 2017
A nostalgic film from my childhood that actually holds up pretty damn well...color me shocked. This was actually Jason James Richter's (who plays our hero Jesse) first time in a film, but you wouldn't be able to tell. He sells the hell out of his role, and is actually pretty great for a kid actor. Yes, he is kind of a dick for a good deal of the film but it's understandable why he's acting like this. The film also has some great supporting performances from the rest of the cast including Lori Petty, Jayne Atkinson, Michael Madsen (Who is actually very good here. He puts on a more quiet, nuanced but real and believable performance), August Schellenberg (one of the standouts from the supporting cast), and Mykelti Williamson (Back before he was Bubba from Forrest Gump). Around half the shots with Willy are done with an animatronic. I figured as much, but it was hard to tell when that was used (except for a few shots). The big iconic climax shot is also done with very obvious CGI. Free Willy treats Willy like an animal and treats him with a good amount of respect. Keiko, the whale who portrays Willy, seems to be very well trained and definitely impresses (his cries are haunting as well). The only thing that kind of bothered me is all the shots of Jesse jumping into Willy's tank, I'm pretty sure he'd be whale food after the first time. Free Willy can definitely be a little silly, but it works surprisingly well for the most part. I have no problems with classifying this one as a bona fide classic for kids and families.
½ June 26, 2017
This movie had a decent plot but what makes the movie so enjoyable for me is the message the movie has. Keep animals free.

9.0/10
June 22, 2017
Even for the early nineties the story is played out and sentimental drivel.
June 10, 2017
I loved this movie as a kid, and it's very nostalgic and touching. The music is beautiful and the acting is good for the most part. The undertone of this movie is somewhat distasteful to me as an adult, because even though they do free Willy, captivity of orcas in general is a sad subject to me.
July 30, 2016
Touching and heartfelt, Free Willy is a tear-jerking adventure drama that is captivating and showcases terrific performances from Jason James Richter, Lori Petty and Michael Madsen.
jamrcla
July 29, 2016
Alright would of been better if it got killed or couldn't make the jump and killed the kid, Too predictable and been done before just with a different animal, Very overrated.
½ July 3, 2016
This is supposed to be a film protest against keeping animals in non-natural captivity? It pretty much fails to hit this message home because it's too nice. Watch Blackfish instead.
June 25, 2016
As a child this was epic now older its a classic and really lives up to its title.