The French Connection - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The French Connection Reviews

December 9, 2017
***
Unfortunately, I have experienced 'The French Connection' for the first time through the 2009 release Blu-Ray - which must feature one of the worst transfers ever. Despite the distracting nature of this, I was still able to enjoy the film for the most part; but I have to say that, bearing in mind this is one of the 'all-time classics', I was slightly underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, the film has many attributes: a great chase sequence and a sense of profound realism being among them. Yet, nothing really stood out to me as truly exceptional. The plot is serviceable but basic, character development is limited and I didn't, for the most part, care for any of them. The performances are solid, but again, not anything special. It just seems like a very middle-of-the-road cop thriller. It's a film I'm glad I've seen, and one that entertained me throughout; and one that has clearly had a great impact on the crime genre, but it's either dated or - dare I say it - overrated.
December 7, 2017
Messy all over the place... Although it has committed performances from Hackman and Scheider.
October 9, 2017
There's no denying how influential Friedkin's brilliant cop thriller is, and the stark imagery that accompanies it. I could continue to comment on the positive values on the film, of which there are many, but then it'd leave you asking why I didn't give it a 'masterpiece' rating. Well firstly, I saw this film for the first time many years ago, and it was due to a small clip of the famous car chase that made me want to watch it so much, and let's face it, that car chase is utter brilliance, the pace, the action, the thrills throughout, and of course that final image where Doyle finally incapacitates the antagonist on the stairs.

Gene Hackman also couldn't have played Doyle any better than he did here, his role as an at-times sadistic cop with a personal chip on his shoulder, thrust within in a gritty, crime-embroiled New York City. But the problem is, there is little-to-no character development, to the extent that despite our longstanding adventure with Doyle, we don't actually care too much of his outcome, this goes likewise with the villains and for Roy Scheider's character. In a movie that's about good versus evil, it's usually vital to give us a character we can relate to, so we can actually distinguish the difference between the good and the evil, so we can actually root for a character's succession. But it never happens, we are presented with the basics of Doyle and that's it, from there on it's about the job.

But as I've previously mentioned, this film is revolutionary in the crime genre, and in cinema as a whole, and I enjoy the experience every time I watch it, the thrilling chase scenes, the gruff embodiment of hate that is Doyle, to the paranoia-clad villains, Friedkin's achievement can't be diminished.
½ October 8, 2017
This picture is a real whopper. It's one of the most gritty, intelligent, & fast paced action/crime movies out there. It should be seen for the thrilling subway chase scene.
½ September 24, 2017
Shot in a cinéma vérité style, unmasking gritty vignettes of New York City underbelly and a famed chase sequence not for the faint-hearted, William Friedkin's 1972 Oscar Best Picture winner, based on the true story of the world's most crucial narcotics investigation, is ahead of its time as a quintessence of guerrilla filmmaking.
September 17, 2017
i love this movie about 2 cops trying to catch some sneaky criminals in 70s new york.
½ September 5, 2017
Hackman was outstanding. I loved the camera angles and that chase scene was out of control.
August 27, 2017
How in the world did this movie beat out A Clockwork Orange and Fiddler on the Roof for the Academy Award for best film??
August 24, 2017
Gritty, fast-paced and suspenseful. The French Connection is one the best examples of early Hollywood at it's finest. Gene Hackman and Roy Scheider are excellent in their roles and Friedkin's direction is electrical
½ July 31, 2017
The first (build-up) part of the film is pretty slow-paced in comparison with modern standard of action film, but once everything, and everyone are in their places, this film is simply irresistible with an iconic duo that totally deserves their accolades and praises (Gene Hackman was just phenomenal in the role of a desperate and somehow psychopathic policeman), and cunning villains that frustrated not only their hunters but also the audience as well. The exhilarating feeling about the Jimmy Doyle's hopeless quest to catch his suspects and regain his reputation is another major achievement of this film, partly thanks to an excellent script with tight plot and cultivated twist-and-turns, and partly thanks to William Friedkin's innovative direction with long takes, remarkable editing, and thrilling action sequences. The open ending full of nuance between hope and hopelessness really closed the film in a very high note.
July 8, 2017
Another all time favourite of mine that influenced Baby Driver that has more going for it than the incredible car chase. Both Hackman and Scheider are great, I love the realism and grit that the film evokes, the score is solid, I the plot and script are engrossing and then there is that incredible and iconic car chase that is thrilling, action packed, well filmed, expertly edited and concludes with a violent single gunshot.
June 14, 2017
To quote DiCaprio in Django Unchained, "gentlemen, you had my curiosity, but now you have my attention". As the 1971 best picture and director winner, it had my curiosity, and 10 minutes in it had my attention. The New York streets have a picture perfect Atmosphere, and the train chase sequence was one of the most memorable scenes in any crime movie. If I had to make a list of the 50 best picture winners, this would be in it.
June 9, 2017
I hoped to like this movie more than I did--maybe I happened to be in a distracted state of mind, but The French Connection didn't hold my attention (minus the car chase/train scene). The storyline isn't as fresh in 2017 that's for sure; I suspect I would have rated this much higher had I watched in 1971. Not one to re-watch.
½ May 28, 2017
boring 70s movie. it needs a remake
½ April 14, 2017
Well directed and authentic.
½ March 26, 2017
This movie sucks. How did it win any awards. The lowest ranking allowable is a half start. I wish I could give it negative for taking an hour and forty-four minutes of my life away from me.
½ February 28, 2017
Thrilling and engrossing can't even begin to describe "The French Connection."
February 23, 2017
Spoiler alert: I could tell you how great this movie is but I just wanna talk about Gene Hackman's acting. It was unbelievably good. And I didn't understand that until the final scene. His performance is a masterwork in subtlety and underplaying big themes. Throughout the movie, it's clear that he's tough, a little obsessed with his job, and a bit reckless. The final scene though really makes it clear that Gene Hackman wasn't just delivering a solid performance, but a real and extraordinary performance. When he shows no remorse for accidentally shooting the wrong guy in the end (and I mean not even a flinch, or anything signifying regret) you almost begin to question why you've been rooting for him all along. Has his obsession with the job overridden everything else? This is a portrait of a man who is shallow, trying to fulfill all his basic drives, who doesn't question whether he's a good man or not, but rather assumes it on the basis that he's a policeman and therefore the good guy. He's narcissistic and only cares for catching the 'bad guy' even at the cost of innocent life. Other than this, his performance is just iconic. His voice, face, and hat come together perfectly to show the ideal version of the tough, smart cop. Just an exciting movie all around. Also his partner did great acting. No need for dishonest displays of emotion or overacting of any sort. This is a great film, though slow moving at points in my opinion.
½ February 9, 2017
It's hard to follow mostly because it is so boring. Yet another overrated and terrible film that won Academy Awards. (First and only viewing - 3/3/2011)
½ February 5, 2017
Great movie about real life story.