Funny Lady Reviews

• Mar 06, 2016

Misses every note. Stars can't even save this hotchpotch. Story is banal, characters come across as unattractive, production numbers repetitive, stars don't seem to match. Obvious attempt to cash in on Funny Girl.

• Oct 10, 2015

It's not a perfect sequel to Funny Girl and lacks the same spunk of it but it is a fine movie. Barbra Streisand is still great even if she doesn't feel like the same Fanny Brice. James Caan did a fine job as well and the little Omar Sharif had to do was fine as well. The musical numbers are far better than the overall story and in between scenes and make this movie worth watching especially the last half of the movie's numbers. The art direction, costumes, make up, hair, sound, and cinematography are all top notch here as well

• Sep 23, 2015

Unnecessary sequel. There are a few good songs, and a lot of forgettable ones as well. At times the score would play bits of "People" to remind us of the better, original movie. There isn't much of a story here. Overall, this is just an okay movie.

• Jul 21, 2012

grows better with time. performances are great as is the cinematography

grows better with time. performances are great as is the cinematography

• Apr 23, 2012

not bad as far as sequels go

not bad as far as sequels go

• Dec 29, 2011

A good premise, but ironically suffers from being too over-the-top, just like the first productions in the story. Too many close-ups, solos, etc., and WAY too long to keep anyone's interest for the whole thing.

• Dec 04, 2011

A much deserved sequel to the first movie :) Barbara again amazes us with her amazing acting & singing skills :) This is another amazing marvel in film history :) James Caan is also incredibly exceptional in this movie as Fanny's love interest :)

• Nov 20, 2011

Like many sequels, this one failed to live up to the oriinal. I almost regret watching this because it completely broke my heart. The players were good, but delivery was full of flaws. Unfortunately, as good as Mr.Caan is he's no Omar (Oh My) Sharif. Mr. Caan didn't have the charisma and chemistry Streisand had with Sharif. I guess it is just really hard to live up to Nicky Arnstein. Where Funny Girl had humor, charm and a killer soundtrack, Funny Lady had odd, inconsequencial musical numbers and a crass atittude. It's too bad, I really wanted to like this film.

• Nov 13, 2011

not that good. funny girl was so much better.

not that good. funny girl was so much better.

• Oct 07, 2011

The biggest problem with this film is the failed attempt to add realism to a sequel to a truly magical old-school Hollywood musical. But when Streisand sings the film comes to life. It is also important to note that this was the last film shot by the great James Wong Howe. And, his brilliance is in full force. A beautifully shot movie. This movie is for Streisand fans only -- and I am one. So, I like it.