Garfield - The Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Garfield - The Movie Reviews

½ August 15, 2016
Garfield is brought to life on the big screen but he's not very lovable. Instead, we get an animated jackass with only the witty humor being anything original to the comic itself. The actors play second fiddle to the animals around them and seem quite bored in most scenes.
August 2, 2016
The cartoon cat comes to life. I previously purchased this movie on DVD and it is actually not a bad film. It is okay although it could have been a better film. I thought the plot of Garfield was quite good although I do question some of the cast in this film. I like Jennifer Love Hewitt in this film and this is the only film I have seen Breckin Meyer in and I thought he was okay in this film too. However I did not like the role of Stephen Tobolowsky in this film, I thought his acting was pretty bad, there are moments when he was meant to be angry in this film yet he didn't show that. He tended to smile when he was meant to be angry in this film. There were a few other poor actors in this film and I think Garfield may have got better reviews from critics if some of the cast wasn't poorly done. All around I thought Garfield was okay, however I wouldn't say it is a must see film.
½ July 25, 2016
Why didn't they make this 2D? Garfield looks like shit. Odie is the wrong dog. Jon was a bigger tool than he was in the comics. Nermal's an adult cat. Liz is flat and boring. Villian was dumb, even by kids movie standards. You can feel the hate in Bill Murray when you watch this movie.
July 20, 2016
Adorable film that kids will enjoy. Bill Murray does a good job with Garfield.
½ June 4, 2016
Despite the excellent choice to dub Garfield by the great Bill Murray and some funny joke, the film does not take off. A flat script, full of clichés and without panache.
May 28, 2016
This entire movie was a work of art. Honestly, it deserves more that avatar in terms of animation and the plot got me in tears, and the character development was so intriguing to watch. Garfield is a real hunk, I wish i had a man like that.
May 27, 2016
The movie that ended the slow death of the Garfield franchise and killed it instantly
May 22, 2016
Garfield is one of my all-time favorite cartoon characters. The fact that Garfield has his own movie is awesome, but this movie was weak.

I will admit, I used to enjoy this movie. But now, I just think it is not funny, the CGI for Garfield is not interesting, and the story seemed poor. I would consider this to be a lackluster.
April 6, 2016
Boring, not funny and stupid, Garfield the Movie sucks.
April 2, 2016
That lazy fat cat doesn't let you down in the comedy part of this movie!
½ March 31, 2016
Far from a good adaptation of one of my favorite comic strips, but it's a kinda-sorta guilty pleasure.
½ March 26, 2016
Not that bad, Bill Murray's voice does suit Garfield well but abit silly but kids will love it.
½ March 1, 2016
As good as a live action garfield movie can be. It's funny and a good watch for fans of the comics. It's not as funny as the source material but it is still a good silly time.
February 13, 2016
I've always loved the Garfield comics from when I was fairly young and so I love Garfield in general; and this movie really does the character well from the comics. Although I don't really think he needed to sing and dance as much, (as that's not in the comics too often) this movie had a lot of pretty funny parts in it and Garfield was just hilarious. I also really enjoyed Breckin Meyer and Jennifer Love Hewitt as Jon and Liz. Although I do think Jon is way more dorky in the comics, they made this as well as they could in a movie form. Definitely maybe could have been better in some aspects, but I still found it pretty decent. I just like to see Garfield hanging out at home actually, but that wouldn't have made a pretty good plot.
½ February 12, 2016
Lovely Adventure Comedy that doesn't bores for a minute ! SOMDVD
½ January 24, 2016
Dated CGI, paper-thin human characters and a story devoid of flair or internal logic is what you get from the live-action adaptation of the popular comic strip. All of which wouldn't have mattered that much had the movie ever provoked more than just a few chuckles.
December 28, 2015
If Garfield got the hanging of the CGI effects, there would be no way that Garfield can totally outdo himself from making this movie look like a mess.
December 7, 2015
this is a boring, ugly movie and its only redeeming quality is Bill Murray's performance.
November 6, 2015
It succeeds in entertaining. I laughed at it only because it was so weird. It's a solid enough story but of course the CGI for Garfield himself is ABYSMAL. That's my only REAL complaint, however I will say that it could've been much shorter. There are several unnecessary scenes, like the part where THE FAT ORANGE CAT SINGS.
October 14, 2015
I love Garfield, and is a special part of my childhood. He showed the world that he's brilliant, bringing a timeless feel to his character. As soon as I popped this movie into my DVD player, was expecting something great. Unfortunately, I was shocked! Why would creator Jim Davis agree to this!? What the hell was he thinking!? Even the cg looks painfully obvious! Even Bill Murray couldn't match up to Lorenzo Music, because he sounded like he was mailing it in, dammit! I could go on, but for now, I'm done!