Garfield - The Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Garfield - The Movie Reviews

Directors Cat
November 5, 2011
Tolerable. Bill Murray saves Garfield.
murphmann93
June 24, 2011
A childhood favourite and a classic!
DreamExtractor
April 18, 2011
This movie stunk. Bll Murray may sound like how I would imagine him, but I never imagined such a horrible movie.
michael e.
½ November 27, 2010
great movie for kids and fans of the comic strip and it is a very funny and enjoyable film all around to watch mainly because of the fantastic performance given by Bill Murray as Garfield
½ June 25, 2010
not a good movie. C-
3niR
½ February 6, 2010
Love this fat cat :D
½ January 13, 2010
Unlike a lot of people, I found this movie entertaining!
sanjurosamurai
½ January 11, 2007
look, i get why people diss this flick but i love good clean family fun if my kids love it and it keeps me interested. hewitt is beautiful and even as a cartoon cat murray is entertaining, so i kind of enjoyed this movie.
FiLmCrAzY
September 4, 2007
I love garfield!
i love this movie i think this movie is laught out loud hilarious and i tihnk every should enjoy this movie as hes such a likeable character i love the story and the actors and i love the character grafield this movie is enjoyable and funny and completely worth a watch!
March 28, 2006
When I was a youngin I would read garfield comics and the thing I loved most about them was Garfield's facial expressions in situations. The film version completely fails to capture the cynical expressions garfield makes, due to the fact that the digital version doesn't work. What I expected Bill Murray would add to the comedy he only subtracted. With a story line taken from Toy Story and about as many laughs as redeeming traits in Garfield the film is a bonnafide flop.
May 2, 2009
"I hate Mondays.."

I wish they'd never made this movie. Garfield is a comic that in my opinion is impossible to make into a live feature film. The main problem is how to do a convincingly good CGI of the fat, lazy, orange cat with the big eyes?

I think that the biggest problem, besides the fact that the movie was very bad, was the CGI Garfield. It looked awful, not at all realistic although in 2004 the special effects crew had the technology to do wonders with computers. But here, like I said, they had an impossible task to do.

The only positive thing about this movie was the dog that starred as Odie. I liked every scene he (yes, I prefer to call dogs as him or her) was in. He out acted everyone in the movie. I thought that would also be impossible, that an animal would do that, but here it actually happened. Ok, Bill Murray did a decent job as the voice of Garfield and Jennifer Love Hewitt is always nice to look at... But wasn't Odie a beagle in the comic but here he's a Jack Russell terrier?

I've never been a big fan of the comic or the animated series but this movie did so much wrong to Jim Davis legacy. For real fans only.
thmtsang
½ July 13, 2007
I loved the cartoons. Garfield comes to life in this movie. He doesn't understand Odie but comes to like him.
FilmFanatik
January 12, 2007
Cute, but leaves much to be desired.
½ March 8, 2008
Star Wars fans scream about George Lucas raping their childhood with the changes to the original Star Wars and their prequels. If those fans could see how Garfield was raped and mutilated for film consumption they would shed a tear.
There are many complaints about Garfield: The Movie. One is that the CGI cat doesn't really look like Garfield. Another is that Jon was always a pathetic bastard that would never hook up with Jennifer Love Hewitt. Another is that Odie is a drooling, partially retarded dog, not Benji.
All that aside, Garfield is a terrible movie. The script is the standard recycled garbage that we've seen hundreds of times. The acting is mediocre at best (even Bill Murray sounds like he doesn't give a damn in his voice overs for the fat cat).
What blows me away is that Bill Murray has put off Ghostbusters 3 for decades while doing garbage like this (and its sequel!)
ajaymuthecooldevils
½ June 13, 2006
Just a standard comedy for the kids... The story just ordinary and the humor just make a little laugh after all... Breckin Meyer and Jennifer Love Hewitt are truly disaster for this movie... Their chemistry was really bad, yet their acting was a disturbing one... Thumbs up should be given to Bill Murray whose gave a great voice to Garfield and Odie, a very little cute dog which is Garfield very very hate... Not pretty good movie and I was a little disappointing to watch it because it takes my time...
August 10, 2007
This was a fun movie. Although being a huge fan of the cartoon/comic series I probably would have had to make a few adjustments.
½ December 30, 2006
An ok live action film of the famous cartoon strip. Manages to keep the same sense of humour as the comics and it's good that Bill Murray did the voice over as he did with the cartoon show. Overall more of a movie for the youngsters, but Garfield fans will be fairly pleased.
June 21, 2007
Bill Murray was a good choice for Garfield's voice, and Jennifer Love Hewitt was great.
½ May 20, 2007
Kinda funny. It was ok.
deano
May 15, 2007
The computer-generated of fatty lasagne-loving cat looks fine and just funny. This movie is a fine entertaining, and using Bill Murray's voice was truly inspired.