The Girl in Lovers Lane Reviews

• Jan 07, 2013

Plenty of amusing homosexual undertones in the first half an hour, weary melodrama throughout, and yet a suprisingly moving finale... It's hard to know what to make of The Girl in Lovers Lane.

• Jun 03, 2012

Ok, so I wouldn't call The Girl in Lovers Lane a taut thriller or an interesting movie, by any means. The movie actually doesn't get good until the last twenty minutes or so, and even then, it's very fleeting. As a Roger Corman-directed movie, I can't say I'm surprised by its quality, or lack thereof. It's mostly boring and plays on too many bad boy-type movies of the time. I kept thinking of things like A Streetcar Named Desire, The Night Hunter or anything starring James Dean, really. Thankfully the Mystery Science Theater 3000 crew make it a little more entertaining, but not really by much. I'd say you're not missing anything if you skip it, but if you're interested in early Roger Corman, I'd say give it a shot. Just don't expect much.

• Mar 11, 2012

It has some decent characters and scenes, but offers very little interest and can be quite boring at times, but it's worth to check out on MST3K.

• Oct 19, 2011

Not bad when I wasn't totally bored out of my mind, but could have been better paced (I guess) and the acting and staging were--par for the course in most MST3K movies--terrible.

• Dec 03, 2010

oh, big stupid and his hijinks.

oh, big stupid and his hijinks.

• Aj V Super Reviewer
    Sep 05, 2010

This movie has a familiar story, but it's not all bad, so I gave it three stars. Corman directs, but I'm not familiar with the cast.

• Apr 03, 2010

So, 2 drifter guys end up in a town in the middle of nowhere, 1 falls in love, the other keeps telling him not to, there is a creepy guy played by Jack Elam, a 1950's small gang, and a small diner where lots of things take place. So what is the purpose of the movie? Not much. Seemed more of a gay story between 2 guys, where 1 was getting more attracted to a girl, which the other guy was jealous about. It's not terribly bad, as it is watchable and there is somewhat a story going on. But it just dragged with bad acting and dialogue, and the end, what was that? Seemed like the last 10 minutes, they decided that things had to start happening in the movie. I guess someone was waiting for a bus standing around....

• Alice S Super Reviewer
    Mar 15, 2010

I technically watched this ala Mystery Science Theatre 3000, but those apparently don't show up in Flixster. As for my first MST3K experience, it was kinda meh. Too many bite-sized giggles that I was quickly laughed-out, and the skits in between are a bit uninspired. As for <i>The Girl in Lovers Lane</i>...the story is melodramatic in a way that I can forgive, solely because it's an "old" B&W movie, but the execution is indeed laughable. The two lead males try so hard to be strong silent types, but they just end up causing unintentional homoerotic undertones.

• Feb 13, 2010

MST3K! Much (un)intentional homoeroticism. Funny.

MST3K! Much (un)intentional homoeroticism. Funny.

• Dec 20, 2009

The four star rating is indicative of the film viewed with the MST3K commentary, the actual film is a pointless bunch of claptrap, as a drifter charms a waitress but won't commit to her because...he's a drifter? He's a bum, not good enough for her? It's all pretty contrived and silly, so the robots making wise-ass remarks distracts nicely. Give the MST3K version a look.