Girl In Progress - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Girl In Progress Reviews

October 17, 2015
Average coming of age drama about a young girl desperately trying to fit in with people at her school
September 29, 2014
The premise belongs in a cheesy family sitcom, that is until it takes some odd dramatic turns that don't fit the rest of the movie.
July 22, 2014
This comedy-drama about the Mexican family living in America talks about a girl who wants to be an adult in a short period of time. With the usual teen comedy, the story goes all around showcasing a girlie side of mischievous behavior. This was not a great teen movie, but acceptable. It's just letting us know what happen when teens are not supervised carefully by their parents. Clearly to say, it briefs the differences between maturity and the word opposite to that.

A struggling poor family of mother-daughter's life is not getting better, instead becomes worse everyday. Grace (Eva Mendis) has been busy all day between her two jobs and a relationship with a married which put her daughter, Annsiedad in a negligence state. Since Annsiedad's mother is not giving any attention towards her, she grows a rebellious character within. One day she decides to become an adult by discarding all the childish character in her once she had experienced them all. So she makes a list to encounter 'coming-of-age' and leave behind her childhood. The plan won't end, according to she arranged. Takes a diverted path and the conclusion of the story is what delivers a message for parents who is so careless of their children.

''So now I'm free to fly. And I hop on a bus to adult-ville.
My coming of age story is complete. Roll end credits.
Bring up the house light. I am not a kid anymore.''

The whole first half was like a silly teen movie with usual narration and there is nothing special about it to highlight. The humors that is not really funny kind of stuffs. Maybe we get used to it for seeing in every teen movie. The last quarter is what makes the sense, a lesson is to learn from it, for that you have to watch the whole movie. Teens want everything to be done so quickly, slow and steady is not meant for them. In such a concept this movie happens which reminds a proverb 'Rome was not built in a day'. The casting was good, both, the mother character played by Eva Mendis and her daughter's was shelved very well. After seeing a fair end scene I thought the script should have had a little stronger in the initial portions to balance its overall strength. Anyway, an average movie, but can be enjoyed if you are not too serious about what you want to watch.
June 1, 2014
Great movie that sends out a message
April 28, 2014
68%

"I'm out of control, catch you later."-Ansiedad (Cierra Ramirez)
½ April 20, 2014
more drama than comedy
½ February 6, 2014
It wasn't as trashy as I expected. The acting was actually alright especially from the daughter! It was entertaining and even made me cry......worth a watch!
½ January 29, 2014
It's a double coming of age story that simply lags,and doesn't really work. The two leads try, but they're given a terrible developed plot to work with
January 28, 2014
Espinoza paz is in the movie
November 22, 2013
Blegh. Stupid. Seems like it needs to progress...
November 21, 2013
Cute but predictable coming of age story.
October 17, 2013
I didn't much like it.
½ September 21, 2013
Sweet movie about family
September 2, 2013
All in all I liked it. Cute, yet sometimes serious. Very chick flickish, though. I have a teenage daughter, so I am sure that helped my attraction to this movie. Still, I thought that it was well done...
September 1, 2013
This movie was great
½ August 11, 2013
Although there were many negative remarks about this film I have to say I did enjoy it. I'm in my mid twenties so I can still feel the stagnant pressures of high school and the turmoil of adulthood. Before watching the movie I thought it was mostly going to be about Eva Mendes...which I was surprisingly pleased it wasn't. It was about her and Cierra Ramirez; and how they were both really girls' in progress. Eva was a young single mother trying to provide for herself and her daughter, while still living a "fun filled" life; while her daughter, who seemed to be in her early teens, was trying to grow up way too fast. Coming from a partially single parent family, and seeing many friends raised in single parent family homes, I can say this CAN be a semi accurate description of what can happen to kids. It may be worse or could be the complete opposite of the film. It depends on the parent child dynamic.
I think that people need to give this movie more of a chance if nothing else! I was going to switch it because of the rating, but am really glad that I didn't!
August 9, 2013
I typically hate "coming of age" films as they usually all amount to the same thing however Girl In Progress was surprisingly original and enjoyable. Eva Mendes and Cierra Ramirez were perfect in their roles of disoriented mother and confused daughter. Girl in Progress is one of the few films of this genre that I wouldn't have a problem watching again if the wife wanted to watch a chick flick.
July 31, 2013
Ok movie I liked it !!
½ July 28, 2013
better than i expected.. pretty good heartfelt
July 8, 2013
I'll give it 4, because I think it was a good drama...