Girl, Interrupted - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Girl, Interrupted Reviews

November 20, 2016
(First and only viewing - In my mid-twenties)
October 15, 2016
I barley remember this but i know i saw it.
September 24, 2016
A little over the top and by-the-numbers, nevertheless, I found myself very touched by 'Girl, Interrupted', terrific performances and a strangely relatable story. A soulful picture with a lot to give. Maybe not a game-changing but for god's sake, it's great film.
August 20, 2016
This story kept me interested and the performances are great. I'm surprised critics didn't like it more.
August 10, 2016
I've been searching for many years for one of Angelina Jolie's finest pieces of acting work. She may have first came to my attention from Tomb Raider but films like Gia and Changeling made me consider her on of my top 5 favorites among actresses. But I must say Girl Interrupted is one of the best of her career.
Based on a true story Susanna kaysen is a young woman suffering from bipolar disorder and is sent up to a mental facility where she meets an array of other girls who suffer from similar if not worse problems than her. During her stay she becomes fascinated with a wild blunt talking girl named Lisa. Susanna's experiences which she would later right all unfold in this film as she tries to discover what is truly wrong with her in the decade where mental facilities where at in all time high, the 60's.
This along with one flew over the cuckoos nest really highlight the rise in usage of mental hospitals in the 60's. some of the most unique slightly insane but still very much human people lived in these places. individuals like this always have stories that make for good movies so definitely a good choice exploring this aspect of this decade. This is pretty well directed too.
Winona Ryder is really terrific here in this role. she's very similar to lisa when she's not in the hospital and lisa sort of helps her become that all the time. it's a real nice arc she goes through. However near the end she starts becoming her own woman and begins to tell the truth in more ways than one about herself and everything around her. ryder should have received an Oscar nomination for this she was amazing here. Angelina jolie did a fantastic job as lisa. she portrays such a zany and wild woman. it's so mysterious for the longest time why she is the way she is and in the end its so sad and tragic what really makes her who she is. In her case the truth hurt her deep reeeeeal deep. this maybe Angelina jolies best role of her career
Really liked the musical choices in here. Its commendable the directors aim at getting across the idea that even if your crazy and insane your still somebody your still a human being. your just different.. there is some real sisterhood here despite how much of an outcast these girls are outside the hospital. the scene in the pipeworks is the best of the whole movie the everyone one was on another level with the acting here. Overall Girl interrupted is stupendous picture.
August 2, 2016
Not bad, Not bad Winona Ryder and Angelina Jolie give good performances in a pretty muddled story in a mental institution.
June 20, 2016
Similar to One flew over the cuckoo's nest but with all females. Ryder and Jolie have exceptional performances but the plot had its rocky moments. On the other hand, it was overall a very solid film that grasp the difficulties of diseases and mental hospitals
April 28, 2016
Lisa: You know, there's too many buttons in the world. There's too many buttons and they're just- There's way too many just begging to be pressed,they're just begging to be pressed,you know? They're just - they're just begging to be pressed, and it makes me wonder, it really makes me fucking wonder, why doesn't anyone ever press mine? Why am I so neglected? Why doesn't anyone reach in and rip out the truth and tell me that I'm a fucking whore, or that my parents wish I were dead?
Susanna: Because you're dead already, Lisa! No one cares if you die, Lisa because you're dead already. Your heart is cold. That's why you keep coming back here. You're not free. You need this place, you need it to feel alive. It's pathetic.
Lisa: [falls down to her knees and screams]
Susanna: I've wasted a year of my life. Maybe everyone out there is a liar. And maybe the whole world is "stupid" and "ignorant" but I'd rather be in it. I'd rather be fucking in it than down here with you.

En el año 1967, Susana Kaysen trata de suicidarse. Obligada por sus padres, es internada en un hospital psiquiátrico donde al principio se resiste a creer que pertenece. Ahí conoce a Lisa, una sociopata que la lleva sin darse cuenta a su propia recuperación,

Girl Interrupted en mi opinion es una de las mejores películas que lidia con el tema de las enfermedades mentales. Todos los personajes dentro del hospital tienen una miríada de problemas, pero son escritas como personas polifacéticas, y que no son definidas por sus transtornos, entonces le dan la oportunidad al publico de identificarse con ellas. A pesar de sus traumas logran una conexión entre ellas, y de una u otra manera se acompañan durante este periodo. Lisa, definitivamente la mas problemática, empaña toda esta hermandad y actúa por su odio propio, y quiere que todas las personas alrededor se sientan tan miserable como ella, pero por eso eventualmente es obligada por Susana a verse a ella misma y sentirse obligada a mejorar.

Esta película es fascinante, y todas las escenas son increíblemente complejas y nos dan una mayor comprensión hacia la salud mental. Una de los mayores logros de esta película, es que queda en el espectador unir todas las piezas del rompecabezas. A la final todos los personajes son enigmas, pero si prestas atención a las señales, podemos conocer a cada una de ellas profundamente. Las actuaciones son estelares, especialmente Angelina Jolie interpretando a Lisa, se roba el show. Es una persona destructiva, pero tan carismática, que es imposible dejar de mirarla.

Toda la atmósfera de esta película contribuye a remarcar el estado mental en la que se encuentran estos personajes. La palidez dentro de el hospital psiquiátrico, y el otoño fuera de las premisas, el soundtrack con canciones de esa época pero que hablan de escapar y de dejar todo atrás... Girl Interrupted es de mis películas favoritas, porque es sincera, no trata de endulzar las situaciones, y porque nos da una mirada y por lo tanto empatia, hacia un tema que sigue siendo taboo.
April 2, 2016
It was okay. Nothing amazing in my opinion. The mental breakdowns did catch my attention and are the main reason why I'm giving this movie three stars. I love mental breakdowns in movies.
March 25, 2016
10 de 10! nunca me sentí tan identificada con una pelicula, excepto que cuando yo intenté suicidarme con vodka no me metieron a una institución mental :p
March 19, 2016
Girl Interrupted is a bad movie that no one should ever see and is a movie that should have never been made.
February 28, 2016
The movie that put Angelina on the map... & truly made people recognize her a serious actress... she definitely took the shine off of Winona Ryder in this film.
½ February 4, 2016
There was some good performances but I never felt invested in any character like I thought I should.
January 13, 2016
A very character driven movie. Its well acted but Angelina Jolie carries the movie. The scenes she isn't in are pretty boring.
½ December 15, 2015
Would be garbage without Angelina Jolie.
November 29, 2015
Angelina steals the show.
November 17, 2015
Girl, Interrupted receives so much slack based on Angelina's character, but if you pay close attention, Winona gives an amazing performance showing what depression can really do to a person. This movie accurately depicts life with mental illness and what it can do to you. A classic.
½ October 18, 2015
A solid story elevated by great performances. Jolie shines the most here while Ryder manages to give another knockout performance. The film succeeds the most by showing us the relationships between the girls.