Gloomy Sunday - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gloomy Sunday Reviews

½ September 27, 2016
Captivating in parts. Good production values and WW2 atmosphere. Except for restaurant setting - cold and bare. Maybe deliberately so? But not my idea of a cosy Hungarian restaurant (maybe I've seen too many Hollywood movies).
½ March 18, 2016
Strange and thrilling.
½ November 13, 2015
Beautiful film which is both well-crafted and well-acted. There are a number of themes presented, and everything is tied together through the use of the song "Gloomy Sunday". This has become my favourite German language film.
August 26, 2015
Beautiful and lush German drama centered around a love triangle in pre-WWII Hungary.
I loved every second of it and it even made me cry.
Absolutely fantastic.
July 11, 2015
Three themes in one outstanding film. A haunting song, an intense wonderful relationship of three people, the nightmare of the Nazis. A film that deserves a much wider audience; also a film that Hollywood could never make. Simply outstanding.
June 21, 2014
On the surface, "Gloomy Sunday" is an ordinary melodrama. And yet, it has something strangely hypnotic, it works more like a song rather than a movie. So it is no wonder, that it works best, in the moment it draws us into the gloomy notes of its title's (in)famous song.
February 3, 2014
Watching this intriguing movie again, after 10+ years. It's as magical and drawn me in so much as it was the first time in Cine-art Wanchai. Gloomy Sunday's message is not only about Andras falling for Ilona, but about hanging on there until the last trace of dignity is eroded, during a time of insanity (WWII).
½ January 4, 2013
Miss Marozsan was dazzling, and Krol and Dionisi likeable, but the story just didn't have enough juice to make it more than passingly interesting. Does killing an 80-year-old man who had 50 years to enjoy the fruits of his ill-gotten gains satisfy the vengeance quota? I think not.
½ September 8, 2012
Having grown up in post-war Bavaria, I gravitate toward atmospheric films which remind me of the melancholy of the middle of the century in Central Europe. This film stretches the heart strings to the breaking point. At first, I thought it was to be "Jules and Jim", then it became much more. J&J seems almost frivolous by comparison. Gloomy Sunday haunts in a way only hinted at by "The Damned" and others. GS is melodrama, yes. But it is as bittersweet as the best dark chocolate.
½ August 18, 2012
It's more Tod than Liebe !
August 7, 2012
The two narratives; one to be devoted to triangle, the other the conclusion of the Nazi assault of Hungary, but it does handle to draw these collectively at the ending.
July 28, 2012
Rolf Schuebel looks at a different side of WWII in this love story full of crime and passion. The love triangle pursues the true meaning of an epic piano piece and why it has it's effect on all who hear it. I was fully captivated until the end credits. This is an absolute must-see!
½ June 13, 2012
The story about the song is absurd, the menage-a-trois is not sexy, but the atmosphere is nice and you cant take yours eyes off Erika Marozsan..she is just gorgeous. A little slow, though, and a little uneventful. Really good ending, however, which almost makes me forgive the rest.
½ June 4, 2012
The music of the film was exellent......I love it
½ March 20, 2012
Pretty decent foreign melodrama.
½ February 15, 2012
(R) 3/4থ 3/4 প?র 3/4 নষ? হ -ল ! ?তদিন ? (R)?ভি দ-ি ন 3/4 ?য 3/4 (R)?ন ! ? হ 3/4(TM)?-রি 3/4ন স?স 3/4ড স(TM) র স স 3/4থ ? হ 3/4(TM)?-রি 3/4ন বিি (R) 3/4র (R) 3/4থ 3/4 প?র 3/4 - 3/4র 3/4প র দিল ! ি (R)?ভি দ-ল 3/4 (R) !!
This hopelessly romantic and melodiously passionate movie simply mesmerized and drove me away ... loved this movie .
½ January 28, 2012
There are 2 versions -- we have seen both. Different slants but equally compelling love stories.
December 25, 2011
It's intelligent, well-acted and beautifully photographed.
½ October 30, 2011
Seeing its high rating and believing it to be factual, I pounced upon it. But no sooner did the movie begin I found the proceedings to be too good to be true. And so it obviously was. The factual events are finely woven in this drama. I'd have enjoyed it more had it been without certain scenes. But having seen it, I guess they were necessary, or at least some of them. But I can't have everything my way. Putting that aside, the movie takes a dull start, but gets its grip firm as it advances, then takes a nap, then again becomes interesting,... and so on and forth. This tale of love, lies and betrayal is full of highs and lows. Predictable as it stands, it's interesting nevertheless. In fact, it's so great that (happened to encounter in Trivia section) it's been running daily since 2001 (till at least 10.30.2011 when this was written if the facts were factual!!!) at the Academy Arts Centre Theatre in Christchurch, New Zealand (so what if it's an accommodating 11 seat theater?).

Surely worth a watch... and a gloomy Sunday may help more ;-)