Good Evening, Mr. Wallenberg Reviews

• Jan 03, 2019

A little-known but moving film about a man of wealth who saved scores of Jewish lives during the Holocaust. The movie is often compared to Schindler's List, but is drier and more subdued in its delivery. Its relative stoicism doesn't diminish the movie's emotional impact; the acting performances are understated but effective. It's also brilliant to see Stellan Skarsgaard as a younger actor in Europe before he became corrupted by Hollywood. The movie's pacing is a bit slow and a little off at times, but the movie is nonetheless a must-see, if only to recognize a little-known hero during this horrible time in modern history.

• Apr 20, 2015

I would love to give this more stars, but I found it difficult to follow. I'm not sure if it's because it wasn't in English or if it's because I don't know enough about this important man, but I just couldn't connect emotionally with any of the characters in this film.

• Sep 10, 2014

(*** 1/2): [img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/icons/icon14.gif[/img]

• Nov 30, 2013

Since I'm Swedish and i'm yet to write a review for any Swedish films, I felt that it was about time time I write one. "Good Evening Mr. Wallenberg" aka "God Afton, Herr Wallenberg" is based on the true story of legendary Swedish diplomat Raoul Wallenberg's final weeks in Budapest during the end of World War II. At the beginning of the film Raoul Wallenberg is the rather unknown member of the Wallenberg family, who could be called the Swedish counterpart to the Rockefeller family. While working as an importer of European delicacies, Raoul is travelling by train through Hungary when he sees a stopped cargo-train overloaded with people, and Nazi soldiers throwing out the bodies of Jews who have died during the trip. After that event, Raoul more or less demands a position as a diplomat in Budapest and the film fast-forwards a couple of months, to the final weeks of German occupation of Hungary. As the Sovjet's draw closer the Nazi threat to the small remainder of the Jewish population increase and Raoul have to use every method he can think of to save as many lives as possible. These methods include using fake Swedish protective passports, bribing Hungarian government officials and blackmailing German officers. Although the film is Swedish most of the story takes place in Budapest and most of the dialogue is in German or sometimes Hungarian. Stellan Skarsgård makes a great acting effort as, Raoul Wallenberg even though most of his performance is in a third language. The entire cast is great except for some of the Swedish actors who dramatically overact in contrast to the actors portraying the victims of the Holocaust. The film is very grim and cold in terms of tone, color and story development and the director have not been afraid to be honest when depicting atrocities, horror or suffering, but at the same time the film does a tremendous job showing what an extraordinary humanitarian Raoul Wallenberg actually was. It's not as good or as well-made like for example, Schindlers List, but just as heartbreaking, engaging and inspiring.

• Jan 26, 2013

Such a great man but the story deserved better directing and editing!

Such a great man but the story deserved better directing and editing!

• Dec 01, 2010

Tolle Besetzung und eine ergreifende (und wahre) Geschichte.

Tolle Besetzung und eine ergreifende (und wahre) Geschichte.

• Jul 14, 2010

Fantastic shot and color, but the storyline is a bit too untight.

Fantastic shot and color, but the storyline is a bit too untight.

• May 27, 2010

A very dark film about an overlooked Holocaust hero.

A very dark film about an overlooked Holocaust hero.

• Feb 28, 2010

Egentligen inte alls den hjältebiografi man väntar sig, utan mer en skildring av ett apokalyptiskt tillstånd, med tyngpunkten på uppgivenhet, desperation och galenskap. På många sätt en konstnärlig bragd, men väl diffus ur det historiska perspektivet. Slutresultatet står och väger.

• Mar 21, 2009

A cinematized portrayal of a real life war hero. Yet another deeply engrossing holocaust movie with acclaimed performances. Certainly not a movie for the faint of heart - it creates such an intense mood of desparation, horror and suffering.