Good Hair - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Good Hair Reviews

½ October 5, 2017
I watched this "documentary" in my English class and it was pretty entertaining for my English class but overall it was not the most interesting topic I liked that they had Chris Rock but not really an attention grabber for just a regular Saturday movie night also not the biggest fan of documentaries but it was still pretty good
½ February 6, 2017
According to the Urban Dictionary, nappy is defined as "Tightly coiled / curled unaltered hair. Coiled hair in its natural state, as found on people of African descent who do not chemically alter their hair texture". In the 2009 comedy/documentary narrated by Chris Rock called Good Hair, he deconstructs different meanings of what good hair is and where the term originated from. When regarding the idea of "good hair", as a female who had relaxers, I used to envision Caucasian women with flowy straight hair, now I see "good hair" as natural or healthy hair due to the recent acceptance of cultural diversity.
Chris Rock begins his journey to find out why his daughter questions the quality of her hair. He attends multiple places around the world to discover where the "good hair" is. He attends convention that is solely based on the Bronner Bros hair competition and selling of hair extensions. He visits hair salons where women are getting their hair done to ask them questions about how their hair is paid off, what price it is, and more. In addition to get women's opinion, he interviews women like Nia Long and Eve, celebrities that can tell them about their experience with relaxers and weave.
He researches the chemicals found in relaxers, how early most children begin to use them, and how some don't go back to natural once using it. Not only does he look at relaxers, Rock looks at wigs, extensions, tracks, and sew-ins. He tries to become educated on the price values of Asian or Caucasian hair and African American hair. Rock concludes with a message to his daughters about what he learned in his journey and how they should be advised when trying to attain "good hair".
As someone who has now sworn off relaxers, I believe natural hair is beautiful and doesn't need to be permanently altered. However, I also do believe what one person might think is "good hair" another won't agree. I can admit I've been influenced by recent trends to chop of my relaxed ends and embrace my natural curl pattern. When I was in middle school people saw my natural afro as dirty and ugly. Now everyone is trying to get the curl patterns I have that naturally grow out my scalp. I wish the documentary talked more about how history influenced multiple women to damage their natural hair to make white people. I think if he showed that aspect, people could make the connect of how African American culture has been suppressed in many other ways. I do wear braids with extensions now to lessen the hassle of dealing with my hair every morning, but I stand by the use or relaxer or no relaxer. However, I do not advocate for the use of relaxer to make others more accepting, respectable, or to make the person "beautiful". The way someone does their hair shouldn't determine who they are, whether they get the job or not, or whether they are beautiful.
If you are someone who is having troubles understanding why African Americans wear extensions or don't understand why most African American women think their natural pattern isn't good, I would recommend this documentary for you. I believe this would be best for those type of people because the film educates you on where the "good hair" came from, why people believe this way, and how to get the hair everyone is wearing/talking about. However, I feel like Chris Rock could have done a better job of telling African American woman's story about hair better because it was mainly stereotypical girls with their extensions and attitude. There was some parts of the film that I found cringe-worthy and shocking. Chris Rock tried to show how our natural state of hair was nearly worthless, but in doing so it felt like he embarrassed African American women and make jokes that Caucasians with stereotypical beliefs about weave would laugh at.

-- Obioma N.
January 8, 2017
a rather insightful documentary narrated by Chris Rock
this shows a fascinating analyzation of hair and how it creates dissension within the black community
what most people don't know is that the hair culture is a billion dollar industry; it employs many black men and women, other parts of the world like India give it away because of religious reasons, and you can actually get an education from it all
it's mainly popular with Asians and African Americans so there's also a lot of things people don't consider when it comes to black womens' hair
it's true that it costs money, it can or cant be a part of intimacy, women will always point fingers at one another as to how they should look or appear to everyone else
there's also the health risks involved from using certain chemicals in the follicles to how old you should be taking care of your hair
Chris Rock is hilarious going from interviewee to interviewee trying to understand how he should tell his own kids what their hair means to them
great questions and answers from Eve to Nia Long to Meagan Goode to Ice-T to T-Pain to Al Sharpton to Salt-n-Pepa to Raven Simone to Lauren London
it's very different for black men and black women to maintain their own hair styles but they do so to the best of their abilities to make a living and spread more about the culture most overlook
odd but interesting documentary
November 27, 2016
never knew how much black women spent on hair!
May 1, 2016
There were informative moments and funny moments
½ September 8, 2015
As a white male, Good Hair is a very educational experience. I had no idea some of these products and procedures existed. That being said, this documentary has a very bland feel to it. Chris Rock sleepwalks through his hosting gig and this film focuses too much on the hair styling convention. I feel like this movie could have been much better.
½ July 30, 2015
Taking the styling of black hair as his start in point, Chris Rock expands his focus to examine how the perception of what makes hair good (ie. more like white hair) is symptomatic of the larger issues of race in the United States. Entertaining and sharp, Good Hair is an interesting watch.
May 3, 2015
Hardly a full and balanced exposà (C), but certainly eye opening, and funny at times too, if not always PC.
½ March 6, 2015
It's almost immediately obvious that this isn't really just about hair, so it was a little disappointing that the rest of the movie was more concerned with the hows than the whys. Still, it's pretty interesting, and very, very funny, especially the scenes where Rock is shooting the shit with people in barbershops and salons. That baffling hair battle thing kinda brings the tone down a bit though. It seemed like a sketch from a bad Chappelle's Show knockoff stretched out way too long and apparently real? It's very strange and shouldn't have taken up so much of the movie.
½ January 16, 2015
I gave this one a spin in advance of listening to the Projection Booth Podcast review it, and it was very interesting, to say the least.

We follow Chris Rock through the barber shops and hair salons, through the places in India where hair is collected for wigs, all as he examines the major industry of African-American hair care and what people are willing to do to themselves to look 'good'.

Well worth a look, recommended.
January 3, 2015
Fascinating exploration of what is perceived of as beauty in the African American community
December 26, 2014
My obsession with weaves
December 2, 2014
I've wanted to watch this movie for years because I never understood what a weave was exactly. Now I do. And even though the film starts to wobble slightly about 2/3 through, Chris Rock is charasmatic enough to steady the ship.
½ October 9, 2014
While it's hard to believe he stretched a documentary about hair on black women to an hour and forty five minutes, Chris Rock does a superb and informative job. Though slow in parts, Good Hair is a welcome departure for Rock, who skillfully executes a documentary much better than I thought he was able to.
½ October 7, 2014
So interesting, with just the right amount of funny. Engaging documentary!
September 20, 2014
As a woman who decided, 3 years ago, to stop trying to meet society's standards and just love my hair, whether it be 'good' or 'bad' - this definitely strikes a chord. I'll be going to see it.
July 17, 2014
Interesting insight into a morally questionable industry, but as a whole it's uneven, focusing too much on the spectacle of the industry's annual trade show at the expense of the in-depth interviews about what words like beauty, confidence, natural, etc. mean and the connection to one's hair. Worth seeing once for the revelations about "Indian Hair" and the chemical composition of hair relaxant alone... not to mention Chris Rock's stated motive of trying to figure what to tell his daughters about their own hair.
½ June 5, 2014
Avec un postulat de départ aussi segmentant (la quête aux cheveux lisses des Afro-Américains), Chris Rock et Jeff Stilson livrent un documentaire passionnant sur l'industrie de lissant pour cheveux et tout ce que cela entraîne. Réflexions passionnants sur la communauté noire américaine que ce soit à propos de l'âge ou du sexe s'ensuivent, dans un film édifiant dont le montage est le seul petit défaut. Le reste est hilarant, extrêmement intelligent et surtout parfois désespérant. Michael Moore sans la culpabilisation à outrance, Chris Rock parvient à rendre son sujet universel et à trouver les mots pour rire d'une industrie aussi dangereuse que manipulatrice. Must-see.
May 17, 2014
I love Chris Rock!! And hearing about all the crazy terms used to style hair is just hilarious!!
February 6, 2014
Not the most obvious of subjects and you'll probably start out thinking they are now just making documentaries about any old subject, however some of the figures are quite revealing as to how big this industry is across the globe. Given Chris Rock fronts this there's not a great deal of laugh-out-loud moments, although you can see the comedian is trying his best to create some.