Good Hair - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Good Hair Reviews

May 1, 2016
There were informative moments and funny moments
½ September 8, 2015
As a white male, Good Hair is a very educational experience. I had no idea some of these products and procedures existed. That being said, this documentary has a very bland feel to it. Chris Rock sleepwalks through his hosting gig and this film focuses too much on the hair styling convention. I feel like this movie could have been much better.
½ July 30, 2015
Taking the styling of black hair as his start in point, Chris Rock expands his focus to examine how the perception of what makes hair good (ie. more like white hair) is symptomatic of the larger issues of race in the United States. Entertaining and sharp, Good Hair is an interesting watch.
May 3, 2015
Hardly a full and balanced exposà (C), but certainly eye opening, and funny at times too, if not always PC.
½ March 6, 2015
It's almost immediately obvious that this isn't really just about hair, so it was a little disappointing that the rest of the movie was more concerned with the hows than the whys. Still, it's pretty interesting, and very, very funny, especially the scenes where Rock is shooting the shit with people in barbershops and salons. That baffling hair battle thing kinda brings the tone down a bit though. It seemed like a sketch from a bad Chappelle's Show knockoff stretched out way too long and apparently real? It's very strange and shouldn't have taken up so much of the movie.
½ January 16, 2015
I gave this one a spin in advance of listening to the Projection Booth Podcast review it, and it was very interesting, to say the least.

We follow Chris Rock through the barber shops and hair salons, through the places in India where hair is collected for wigs, all as he examines the major industry of African-American hair care and what people are willing to do to themselves to look 'good'.

Well worth a look, recommended.
January 3, 2015
Fascinating exploration of what is perceived of as beauty in the African American community
December 26, 2014
My obsession with weaves
December 2, 2014
I've wanted to watch this movie for years because I never understood what a weave was exactly. Now I do. And even though the film starts to wobble slightly about 2/3 through, Chris Rock is charasmatic enough to steady the ship.
½ October 9, 2014
While it's hard to believe he stretched a documentary about hair on black women to an hour and forty five minutes, Chris Rock does a superb and informative job. Though slow in parts, Good Hair is a welcome departure for Rock, who skillfully executes a documentary much better than I thought he was able to.
½ October 7, 2014
So interesting, with just the right amount of funny. Engaging documentary!
September 20, 2014
As a woman who decided, 3 years ago, to stop trying to meet society's standards and just love my hair, whether it be 'good' or 'bad' - this definitely strikes a chord. I'll be going to see it.
July 17, 2014
Interesting insight into a morally questionable industry, but as a whole it's uneven, focusing too much on the spectacle of the industry's annual trade show at the expense of the in-depth interviews about what words like beauty, confidence, natural, etc. mean and the connection to one's hair. Worth seeing once for the revelations about "Indian Hair" and the chemical composition of hair relaxant alone... not to mention Chris Rock's stated motive of trying to figure what to tell his daughters about their own hair.
½ June 5, 2014
Avec un postulat de départ aussi segmentant (la quête aux cheveux lisses des Afro-Américains), Chris Rock et Jeff Stilson livrent un documentaire passionnant sur l'industrie de lissant pour cheveux et tout ce que cela entraîne. Réflexions passionnants sur la communauté noire américaine que ce soit à propos de l'âge ou du sexe s'ensuivent, dans un film édifiant dont le montage est le seul petit défaut. Le reste est hilarant, extrêmement intelligent et surtout parfois désespérant. Michael Moore sans la culpabilisation à outrance, Chris Rock parvient à rendre son sujet universel et à trouver les mots pour rire d'une industrie aussi dangereuse que manipulatrice. Must-see.
May 17, 2014
I love Chris Rock!! And hearing about all the crazy terms used to style hair is just hilarious!!
February 6, 2014
Not the most obvious of subjects and you'll probably start out thinking they are now just making documentaries about any old subject, however some of the figures are quite revealing as to how big this industry is across the globe. Given Chris Rock fronts this there's not a great deal of laugh-out-loud moments, although you can see the comedian is trying his best to create some.
January 5, 2014
Fascinating and amusing whilst bringing some unwelcome home truths.
December 22, 2013
A humorous look at the complex relationship between African-American women and their hair.
November 27, 2013
Poor editing choices make it feel less important than it really is. In trying to be more of a comedy than anything else, it detracts from the small amount of poignancy that is there.
November 19, 2013
I found it interesting and informative. Some Of My Whitey curiosities answered.