A Good Year - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Good Year Reviews

July 11, 2016
Really sweet..I don't like sweet wine.
July 10, 2016
How this movie received a bad score on rotten tomatoes is beyond me... I LOVE this movie, and have watched it several times. I'm sure I'll watch it several more.
June 2, 2016
Don't listen to the critics! They're jaded! This is a terrific film, full of character, charm and humour. The music and acting are great, and the setting is wonderfully evocative, enriched by scenes of his memories. A great Euro romcom.
May 1, 2016
Goofy and charming. While nowhere near one of Scott's masterpieces, it's a fun anomaly in his filmography.
March 26, 2016
Soft, kind, light... A Good Year it's a perfect movie for spending a very nice time for the less-demanding people; and although we go deeply, and see that sometimes the script is not the best; we'll have a great time watching it
March 13, 2016
I had no idea Russell Crowe had made a version of A Year in Provence until a friend with a vineyard posted a link. As I had really enjoyed the book (and Gladiator) I thought I had better rectify that & watch it. What a nice film!
½ February 15, 2016
Alluring location in southern France, making dreams come alive. By the way, all flaws become less evident in dreams. Russel Crowe's presence seems to be the result of bad casting.
January 23, 2016
A bad script combined with poor directing does not make a good movie. This movie is unnecessarily bad.
January 12, 2016
A Good Year is not a special movie at all, but it still has a little charm and humor to it. Russell Crowe is a fine actor and manages to pick this movie a little bit off of the ground.
½ January 1, 2016
Only watched this because my brother keeps going on about the girl in this. I know exactly which one
December 31, 2015
If it wasn't for the title or the movie poster I probably would have seen this movie sooner.
It's a good storyline and an okay movie. I never felt the urge to turn it off, but there's still something missing. There needs to be something more to keep me really hooked to the screen. Even if I didn't feel the urge to turn it off I wouldn't really say that I was hooked.
I needed more backstory between Russell Crowe and Marion Cotillard, so I could believe in their chemistry more. Which I didn't, now.
November 27, 2015
I think your lacking in charm and humor. It is one of the best movies with their actors perfectly suited to their element. You obviously missed the whole point of the movie and the funny scenes completely!
November 5, 2015
I wonder who the people who left the reviews. The art world is littered and flawed with those who feel the mark is to be righteously and knowledgeably opinionated. This is a well acted film which is well written. It has a feel good factor which the cast do justice to. Honestly 8-9/10. But I suppose if you rate Vin Diesel films you may not like this and will score it differently. Hmmm.
October 9, 2015
UNFORTUNATELY CRITICS ARE LIKE TEACHERS; THOSE WHO CAN DO; THOSE WHO CAN'T TEACH OR CRITICIZE. IT IS CALLED DIRECTING AND ACTING, DUH!!!
JUST BECAUSE RIDLEY AND RUSSELL AREN'T PRODUCING A FILM WITH MACHO MASSACURING AND SLAUGHTERING OF THE CHARACTERS THE CRITICS DECIDED IT IS NOT THEIR FORM OF ENTERTAINMENT. BOO HOO!!!!
June 11, 2015
If they'd only have cast lead actors who were the same age, I'd have no complaints at all. Marion is lovely but a decade too young for the part!
May 30, 2015
A bit cliched, but a good movie none the less.
April 12, 2015
This was a really good movie. Generally not a big fan of Russell Crowe, but he was really good in this. A great movie all around.
April 5, 2015
I liked it a lot. The cast was great. I would watch Marion Cotillard in any thing. Russel Crowe is great playing understated conflicted characters. Albert Finney was his usual self. I liked the story a lot.
½ April 5, 2015
It was okay. A little slow in parts.
March 14, 2015
'A Good Year' is a nice change of pace for both its director, Ridley Scott, and its star, Russell Crowe, and is a good film for all involved. Scott and Crowe reunite and I really like the results, and they will go on to collaborate a few more times. I really did like this film and I found the overall experience very charming and pleasant. You know how the story will end but that's exactly the point and it is a very pleasant journey getting there and it is actually very well written and quite unique; I really didn't predict anything that happened next. I liked how the story unfolded and it never relied on clichés and the whole film felt very genuine. There is a lot less romantic interplay between the leads than you might expect, the film was more about Skinner reconnecting with a life he left behind, whilst developing good relationships with characters, which was different. All the technicals of this film are excellent, from the inviting cinematography to the warm soundtrack and the fast editing; speaking of, I found the editing style and the type of humour very English-like, as well as the use of the word 'bollocks' and lo and behold, the novel was written by someone from the UK. And Marc Klein does a good job translating it to screen, and he probably shows his nice films to his patients, haha. I did find this film very funny and, like I said, charming, there was a scene where Papa looked like he was going to fall in the pool and I think that would have been funny. The acting in this is very good, Russell Crowe is honestly really charming and funny when given the chance and I liked him a lot. Albert Finney and Freddie Highmore were very smartly used and integrated well into the plot as opposed to just having them be used all at once at the start and they did work well with one another. And yes, Freddie Highmore didn't irritate me so that's something. All the supporting actors are a lot of fun and they all do good jobs and I'm not going to do that thing I usually do where I say they're all good and then go to name them all just so I don't feel like I've left anyone out, they're all good, charming, likeable and well written and that's that. They also all have some form of closure, one of them right before the end credits! Which is something I liked, nobody gets forgotten about and they are integral to the plot.

The only real complaint I have is with the last 15 minutes, the reviewer in me wants to dislike it because it relies on massive coincidences but the person who enjoyed the film that they saw just wants to let the happy ending be and I think I'll stick with that. It's just a little annoying, for a film that seems to go against trappings of its type, the ending seems too clean. It's funny because I said to myself before watching that a romcom that is just under two hours seems a little long and probably should be an hour 45 max, but this film showed me how it can be done. It didn't ruin the film and I'm probably making a bigger deal out of this than necessary but it's just something to note and, hey, it's a film with Russell Crowe that's under 2 hours, can't say I've seen many of those, haha. However, I did like that one subplot involving Abbie Cornish's character resolved itself pretty much soon after it began, because that really didn't need to be any bigger than it was and the filmmakers realised that. And it's probably one of the only films in the romance genre to have a bee and a scorpion jump scare, haha. I've said the word charming and pleasant numerous times but that's just how much I liked it, I really did enjoy this film a lot, it made me smile and I felt good. I would happily watch this again many more times. I remember looking at the poster a while ago and just smiling because it seemed so inviting and nice, I love a well done romance film and this is one of them. Overall, it's just really nice and it's really pleasant.