Gorky Park Reviews

• Aug 03, 2018

Haven't watched this in a few years. It's really a great movies with fascinating characters.

• Apr 15, 2017

Excellent cop thriller, with realistic and deeply humane profiles of the characters, a great story, no superficial special effects or unbelievable moments, a nice balance and pace, with William Hurt and Joanna Pacula doing great work.

• Mar 13, 2017

So fascinating thriller that make us at the edge till the end.

So fascinating thriller that make us at the edge till the end.

• Marcus W Super Reviewer
    Nov 11, 2016

Very average. It works but there's nothing to get excited about.

Very average. It works but there's nothing to get excited about.

• Jun 03, 2015

Good movie. The subject and the story was well handled but the suspense was too in your face. I did not feel the impact. The score was jarring. Joanna was not good but the acting over all was acceptable. It is the pace and the story that kept the movie alive and watchable. There were some beautiful allegories such as the sables running around in the end.

• Apr 11, 2015

Hurt is excellent as a detective torn between truth or government as he tries to solve murders in this well done thriller.

• Feb 15, 2015

must of been the best crime film from 1983, which was a good year. can't wait for the next one

• Jan 31, 2015

A brilliant thriller from the 1980s starring William Hurt. What marks this film out as being a little different from the usual is that it is set in Moscow and Hurt plays a Russian police inspector. Lee Marvin takes on the role of a cool American businessman and there are a plethora of other fine and sadly now deceased actors in supporting roles. The script is by the masterful Dennis Potter and is clever, dark and witty in places. The plot involves the grisly discovery of three badly mutilated bodies in Moscow's Gorky Park and Hurt sets out to investigate. What he uncovers is a gripping tale of the fur trade and corruption within the Soviet establishment. The fact that the story takes place in the pre-Glasnost era makes the whole movie interesting from an historical point and Moscow is shown as a down-at-heel, slightly grubby place. All this makes for an intriguing and interesting film which has an appeal beyond the normal thriller. I'm an admirer of Hurt and in the role of Inspector Renco, he seems perfectly cast and very believable. I'm also impressed with Joanna Pacula as the mysterious Irina who is a pivotal character in the plot. This classic film of the 1980s is a great example of film making from that decade and is still gripping and suspenseful without being sensationalist. Highly recommended.

• Dec 22, 2014

William Hurt stars as a bilingual Russian police detective who is trying to uncover the secret to speaking English without a Russian accent. As his english vocabulary increases, his speech seems to alternate impressively from one which yet has a glimmer of russian texture, to perfect russian proof english. There are times when you'd scarcely believe he had ever spoken russian to begin with! This is however short lived. We are rooting for Detective Renko to discover the truth of accentless english, and through the many twists and turns in his adventure with language skill development, we almost see his accent vanish altogether. Sadly, he ultimately loses his linguistic battle and we find ourselves just as aggravated as Renko, as he still..has a slight accent. Not all is lost, there is hope, while we are left with the impression that many of his comrades are also learning english, and are escaping the confines of their soviet prison where everyone speaks with permanent russian accents (if they speak english at all!). We try not to think too hard about those poor souls...it's sad.

• Jul 19, 2014

William Hurt is so beautiful in this! He should always have dark hair! The film is pretty good too.