The Grapes of Wrath - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Grapes of Wrath Reviews

November 6, 2017
This movie was so good my cousin who is all about 2017 slime and cartoons, SHE LOVED IT!!!
September 9, 2017
The Grapes of Wrath is technically superb with excellent cinematography, great direction from John Ford and terrific performances from Jane Darwell and Henry Fonda, but it is a movie that was undone by its stupidly short running time and thus many of the greatest plot points from the novel were missing here. It is a good, emotional movie, but overly simplified leading to such a frustrating adaptation.
½ September 3, 2017
Great movie. It's a time warp to the past. Don't expect anything glitzy in this film just expect to see how it was back in the day. Time well spent.
August 27, 2017
Considerably true to Steinbeck's novel, this film is lauded for its depiction of the undying human spirit. Henry Fonda gives a moving performance as the protagonist.
July 24, 2017
This is a beautiful looking film with lots of wonderful acting performances! It's one of the rare times that a classic book has been turned into a classic movie, in my opinion! John Ford really captures the essence of the novel, even if some big parts are left out. And when Henry Fonda delivers that "I'll be there" speech near the end, well that's just cinema gold! It's not better than the book, but it sure can stand proud!
½ July 17, 2017
This is an emotional wallop of a movie. It beautifully captures the frustration and misplaced anger of people who are being oppressed by a system and not an individual, specific entity. The performances are powerful, and they deliver the flowery, literary dialogue with such confident sincerity it's easy to buy. Some of the intrigue and empathy tires a bit later in the film, but Ford's beauty and assuredness win out in the end.
July 5, 2017
The Grapes of Wrath is a tough movie to swallow. It's basically a film about a family desperately trying to survive during the Great Depression. It's not exactly "fun" to watch so many struggles and trials being heaped on this sweet family. Everything seems to go wrong and I empathize with these poor people and hate to see it all happen.

Henry Fonda and Jane Darwell are spectacular in The Grapes of Wrath and they add most of the heart to the film. I am totally rooting for this family because these two make me care about them. They are given the unforgiving task of delivering some heavy-handed monologues at the end, but it never came across as insincere, which had to be tough.

While I realize this movie isn't based on a history book, I appreciated the strong historical feel of the story. These specific things probably didn't happen exactly as shown, but I thought the feel of that time was captured perfectly. There were things that they experienced that did happen back in those days, and trials that wrecked thousands of lives back then.

Rating and ranking films like The Grapes of Wrath is a challenge for me. On the one hand I see some real quality and care that went into the film. I see good acting and a well-crafted story. But on the other hand, it's just not enjoyable. I feel the struggle with the characters and I don't like it. So take my rating and ranking with a big grain of salt...
April 20, 2017
One of my favorite movies & one of the greatest of all times
February 18, 2017
10 out of 10:

With plenty of powerful and moving scenes, and great acting, The Grapes of Wrath is truly one of the best book adaptations to hit the big screen.
February 11, 2017
Where do I even begin on this movie? Since it was made in the 40s I can't complain that it was boring at parts. The way you review a movie made 76 years ago is you imagine you're in that year and put yourself in the place of a person watching the movie when it came out and then review it. After thinking about that it is pretty clear that this is a good movie. The acting was very believable and not once I thought that these are just actors. I felt like that they were really who they are and this is just us watching what was happening.

I always felt bad for the family when something bad was happening to them. I just hoped that nothing else bad would happen to them. Many of the characters made me laugh in parts of the movie and it wasn't because of something went wrong or the screenplay was bad. It was that they were making a joke and it hit the right note. Looking at it in today's society I laughed a lot more in this than in a lot of the comedies now on tv and movies. That's something that today's movies lack is a touch of realism, you can tell it's a movie now and it's just for mindless fun and enjoyment. But a movie like this was made to have effect on people's lives and mean something. It stands out more than many movies from this decade.

I knew that life during the great depression is bad but I could have never imagined it being like this. I've seen the first half of Cinderella man and know how bad it was to live in the city and to lose your job. But this is the first time I got to see what it was like for the farmers. Even though this movie is not based to a true story , it's like this is what actually happened to people in this decade. What happens to people in this time was terrible and in a way, this movie made justice for all of those people whose story was never told.
February 4, 2017
Thoroughly enjoyed this classic
½ January 24, 2017
Finally watched The Grapes of Wrath. I have not read the book so it is hard to compare the two, but the movie itself is a good story about the Great Depression in the US and is a great reminder about the importance of family and employment.
½ January 5, 2017
A well-filmed drama. John Ford takes the classic novel and turns it into a classic film. Henry Fonda's portrayal of Tom Joad is iconic. (First and only viewing - 1/28/2011)
November 22, 2016
Despite being considered a masterpiece, Grapes of Wrath is arguably one of the worst films I have ever seen. Although the film itself is in black and white, the screenplay was written entirely in purple (as in purple prose) and and feels like the writers were trying to fill a minimum word requirement for an essay than create a realistic dialogue . The majority of the characters speaks almost entirely in deep, meaningful, almost shakespearean monologues that convey the same general messages over and over and over again, and destroy any sense of genuineness. Despite being poor/lower middle class farmers from Oklahoma, they all speak as if they are high school english teachers attempting to convey their superior vocabulary to a room full of students. And every speech is almost the exact same thing every time too, regardless of who is saying it. You could swap out one character's lines of dialogue in this films for another's, and not notice the difference. The only scrapes of character development in the film only serve to highlight the fact that these really aren't characters at all, merely shells created to stuff more dialogue and symbolism into, making them more fountains of pretentious rambling than anything else. The only two characters who at all speak differently from the rest, have different mannerisms or have different opinions or ways of solving problems, are killed, one of them being the father, who is at nearly the very start of the families journey. In the end, the film becomes more boring and eye-rolling pretentious than it does involving or heart wrenching because none of the main characters feel real enough to care about, and the story itself serves more to highlight its author's self-perceived flawless sense of morality than to highlight the struggles of real people.
September 14, 2016
Näyttelijöiden suoritukset ovat loistavia. Etenkin Fondan ja Carradinen. Ajankuva on ilmeisen onnistunut. Aina ei ole Amerikassakaan elämä ollut ruusuista. Se mikä tässä tökkii on elokuvan kerronta. Se on vanhanaikainen, hidastempoinen ja ajoittain jopa puuduttava.
½ August 21, 2016
This drama is essential a road trip across America set during the depression. It contains some very touching scenes, interspersed with comic moments. Although a little too long, it features some outstanding performances from the lead actors. This classic movie is very important from an historical viewpoint and is considered one of the greatest movies of all time. AAN 1001
July 8, 2016
I love this movie if I lived in 1940 I would say this movie would be one of the best movies of all time and shows the depression in a way I had never seen in a movie.
½ June 28, 2016
Enthralling tale of Okies being thrown off their land during the Dust Bowl/Depression and subsequently heading west to California to live in squalor with others seeking jobs. Henry Fonda is suitably rebellious as Tom Joad, the kid just back from prison who has to pack up with his family (11 all told) and navigate the route and the perils upon it. So, it's a road movie of sorts, but the real drama takes place in the Golden State when their hopes and dreams are dashed. Director John Ford chose his character actors well (they are not all recongizable stars) and cinematographer Gregg Toland uses light beautifully both on location (particularly in the desert) and on the studio sets. Yet, for all the realness infused here, you can't forget this is a prestige picture, as the flow of things comes to a sudden halt every now and again when one of the players let loose with a hefty chunk of text from John Steinbeck's source novel. Fonda gets the meatiest quotes ("Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat, I'll be there. Wherever there's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll be there...") but the picture ends nobly with Ma Joad's (Jane Darwell) "We are the people" speech, apparently producer Zanuck's idea against John Ford's wishes for a more downbeat ending. But how downbeat can you get? That said, I reckon the actual reality for folks at that time was harsher and less cinematic. For all their attempts to p a collective solution to the problems of poverty and exploitation by the owning classes, Steinbeck and Ford wound up being investigated by HUAC (even though Ford was a noted conservative). You can't win.
May 27, 2016
The Great Depression may be a thing of the past, but this touching, poignant classic is as powerful and vital now as it was in the '40s.