Grbavica Reviews

• Robert B Super Reviewer
    Oct 02, 2015

Grbavica delivers as a real-life family drama. It is refreshing to see acting more genuine than melodramatic, and yet still make for dramatic effect. The film may be a bit difficult to follow in places if you are unfamiliar with the culture (I am) but overall, the cultural aspect makes the film moreso interesting than confusing. All-in-all, Grbavica is a refreshing change from your typical studio films.

• Oct 23, 2013

The other reviewers here have said most of what I wanted to say but...this is a very subtle yet so moving film. It didn't sound that interesting initially, but most of the descriptions leave out the spoilers (expected) but those spoilers will knock you off your chair emotionally--even as you can just about figure them out as the film progresses. I can't imagine a dry eye in any movie theater at the end of this extremely powerful movie.

• Jul 26, 2013

A truly Beautiful Heart Warming Story 9 out of 10 Bosnian movies are about the Balkan Conflict but this stands out of the lot . This is a beautiful drama which concentrates on the complex relationship between a Mother and Daughter . This examines intricate nuances delicate relationship between rape victim and resulting offspring . This gives us facets on love born out of pure hate. Its a window in a posat war Bosnia . With two main characters exploring lives and new avenues .The coming of age of the daughter with the mother re-examining her mindset towards a life.Mirjana deservedness a lot of praise portraying struggles of a rape victim, torn between motherhood and struggle reinventing herself.Even the subplot between Sara and her flame is quite engrossing and doesn't feel stale . The only Con I can find is Kira Knightly ? ( Aurthur Sucks and Knightly is antitheses of everything Cool) The theme of the movie is Motherhood and the pure love of a mother towards her child

• Sep 08, 2012

A powerful reflection on the cruelty of war in the former Yugoslavia and its sad results.

• Mar 07, 2012

This would be more powerful if we more fully understood the culture of Bosnia-Hergovina and the Balkan war. Aside from that, this is an eye-opening look at the aftermath of war when all you want to do is lead a normal life.

• Dec 08, 2011

Life in a post-war world!

Life in a post-war world!

• Nov 17, 2011

Excellent film with a talented cast.

Excellent film with a talented cast.

• Nov 15, 2011

Interesting and sad story, that's both heartbreaking and down to earth. The actors does an alright job, but there is something missing here. It does'nt get a grip of me and I felt a bit bored at times. The camera use, the colors and music where uninteresting and flat for me. Not a bad film, but an important film that should have been a bit better.

• Aug 21, 2011

Un 98%??? Oso de oro? No me lo puedo creer. Película tediosa y lenta donde las haya. Sí, toda una tragedia la guerra de los Balcanes y sí toda una lucha de una mujer "viuda" por sacar a su hija adelante, pero no consigue despertar el interés del espectador.

• Jul 13, 2011

Incredibly finely handled filming of a horrific subject matter.

Incredibly finely handled filming of a horrific subject matter.