Greenfingers Reviews

• Aug 30, 2019

Likeable, but unremarkable comedy drama.

Likeable, but unremarkable comedy drama.

• Aug 25, 2018

this was delightful.

this was delightful.

• Jul 31, 2018

Watched this outdoors at my home and everyone loved it! The idea, the positive of living in prison & great rehabilitation! Wow! Would highly recommend this!

• Jul 06, 2018

I kept passing by this movie on my queue multiple times. While this film starts slowly, the story held my attention. I enjoyed this movie more for the interaction of the prisoners than the romantic subplot. Greenfingers seems almost like an alternate universe where certain prisoners with serious crimes in their past are sent to a prison which encourages change for the better rather than reinforcing the brutality of their pasts. This movie is based on a true story of celebrated inmate gardeners, I suspect that the love angle inserted in this story is fabricated as it appears to be the weakest portion. However the arc of the prisoners and their characters are much more interesting. Either by luck or design the prison and its inmates are the major portion of this movie. The cinematography is beautiful. How could it not be with English gardens being almost a main character. The standout human actors are Clive Owen (as prisoner, Colin Briggs) and Helen Mirren (as an expert as familiar with PR as she is with gardening, Georgina Woodhouse). Supporting players David Kelly (prisoner, Fergus Wilks), Warren Clarke (as Governor (aka head of Edgefield Prison) Hodge, Adam Fogerty (as prisoner, Raw) and Paterson Joseph (as prisoner, Jimmy) hold their own against the professionalism and talent of Owen and Mirren. The ending is uplifting, yet not too obviously clichéd.

• Apr 12, 2018

Although this seems to be a comedy - and it has some very funny moments - the story has a dark and poignant side. Clive Owen is at his very finest as a prisoner, desolate with self-loathing, whose heart is thawed by the love of gardening.

• Sep 29, 2017

I enjoyed this movie. Yes, it's a little too sweet and a tad unbelievable; but it's a lot of fun. You experience characters growing and changing from their interactions, which is one of the key elements that I look for in films. Once you get through the unexpected parts (prisoners being chosen for a gardening project outside of the prison...working with the connoisseur of British gardening (Helen Mirren), the movie becomes pleasantly predictable. David Kelly steals the show as Fergus Wilks.

• Aug 29, 2017

No wonder no one has ever heard of this ragweeds to royal gardens film. It was let out in 2001. Everyone has been running off to war ever since then. Who's got time for a little but true tale with a surprise ending tucked away behind the Astilbe? Eh? No me. I just saw it, in fact, I've just watched it twice, and I was still interested the second time through. Best of all, it's a true story, and better than that, is that they ooooh, how do I compliment the understated ending that ended in exactly the right moment, without spoiling it for someone? How about this, it ends with British understatement, just before what to others might have been the "big ending." No, no, this was far better, because the actual "moment" is never shown. Oh how I love that. I'd call it fine family fun if your family has A. heard the F word used as an adjective in the British way they say it as if they were saying "flower," (to quote Burt Reynolds on the subject, hah.) and B. Your family is able to deal with a brief glimpse of human procreation. In proper English missionary style of course. The cast is exactly who should be representing whom, but exactly.

• Aug 19, 2017

Based on a true story, it is quite good. Some critism that it is based on British film genre: redemption based on fact. Feel good film

• Aug 09, 2017

Perfectly harmless and fun English movie. Can never go wrong with Helen, and Clive of course.

• Aug 09, 2017

Unique Dark Comedy. I adore Warren Clarke, so I've seen everything he's ever done. He's understated and a mere extra character in this, however, he is what gave this movie gift to me. David Kelly is also an under-rated talent and heart touching in this role. It is current and relative to this day.